The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss ZF 25 mini review

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Just think of the obligation if it had been like this:
"Then I looked down and saw that I was holding a 6 x 9 camera, which had "A L P A" printed on it.
It could have ruined you ;)
Hey Steen, I laughed out loud when I read this! But, to be honest, your post cuts a little too close for comfort. Lately my greatest fear is that, in the middle of a dream, I'll look down and see that I'm holding a 6x4 index card with "SINAR HY6" printed on it.

etrigan63

Well, I am renting one of these for my trip to the Grand Canyon. Don't know how well it will work on my D300 as it will be 37.5mm EFOV. Maybe I should check and see if they have the new 18mm Distagon in?

Arne Hvaring

After a few months now with the D3 - my favourite lens is the Zeiss 28 on this camera.
That's interesting. How do you deal with the curvature of field of this lens, I've read that it is quite pronounced. Or is it irrelevant with the kind of subjects you use it for?
I ask because I've always liked the FL and may replace my Ais 2,8/28 with something more recent.

jonoslack

That's interesting. How do you deal with the curvature of field of this lens, I've read that it is quite pronounced. Or is it irrelevant with the kind of subjects you use it for?
I ask because I've always liked the FL and may replace my Ais 2,8/28 with something more recent.
HI Arne
I can't speak for the 28mm, but the 25 certainly has the same issue. When 'testing' it's irritating in the extreme, but for my use with this lens, it's as likely to be an advantage as a disadvantage (flat subjects are so rare around here!).

Arne Hvaring

Hi Jono,
I see your point, but doesn't it make working with these kind of lenses somewhat unpredictable? Or do you, with experience, develop a feeling for how the lens will fit or draw a certain scene, so you might take advantage of its character?
While I generally prefer lenses with a flat field, I'm trying to figure out why Zeiss has chosen this particular design in their WA ZF line, and if other parameters may have been optimized for this trade off. That's why I'm interested in users feedback to learn how they handle them.

robmac

Arne,

if you haven't read it yet, I'd recommend buying Lloyd Chambers review of the ZF line. Testing against Canon lenses, real-world test shots, doesn't pull many punches and even briefly, touches on sample variation. Is the only test I've seen that talked about filed curvature on the wider ZFs. It's not perfect, but the best I've seen yet for any lens line and price includes free updates.

Cheers

R

jonoslack

Hi There Arne
Hi Jono,
I see your point, but doesn't it make working with these kind of lenses somewhat unpredictable? Or do you, with experience, develop a feeling for how the lens will fit or draw a certain scene, so you might take advantage of its character?
I don't think it's unpredictable - unlike a rangefinder, you can see what's happening through the lens, and you certainly do get a good feel for it. Unlike some I really like the matte screen on the D3 - I find it very easy to focus and to get a feel for the result.

While I generally prefer lenses with a flat field, I'm trying to figure out why Zeiss has chosen this particular design in their WA ZF line, and if other parameters may have been optimized for this trade off. That's why I'm interested in users feedback to learn how they handle them.
I don't know, I'd like to think that it's for the close focusing (the 25mm focuses down to about 4cm from the front of the lens. But maybe it's just rolling out old designs.

jonoslack

Arne,

if you haven't read it yet, I'd recommend buying Lloyd Chambers review of the ZF line. Testing against Canon lenses, real-world test shots, doesn't pull many punches and even briefly, touches on sample variation. Is the only test I've seen that talked about filed curvature on the wider ZFs. It's not perfect, but the best I've seen yet for any lens line and price includes free updates.

Cheers

R
Hi Rob
I'm afraid I'm too much of a skinflint to pay the $50.00 for the full review, (not least because of the need to find the reading time) but I noted the comments about the 25ZF in his blog - that it had strong curvature of field and vignetting. Interestingly, he also says that he started off avoiding it for those reasons, and then falling in love with it for the lovely rendition . .. which has certainly been my experience too.

robmac

I hear you - we're so used to free web content that paying $50 took some decision; which is silly given the amount I'd spend on some simple doo-dad for the same hobby. Also spent some time chatting with Lloyd online about Leica lenses he was looking for and so forth and decided to take the 'leap'.

No reviews are perfect, but I did find it (and his blog) are a refreshing change from the typical every lens/camera is 8 different shades of wonderful BS you typically see.

My impression of the 25 and 28 ZFs is that, as you point out, if you ignore the tests and simply shoot them you grow to accommodate their shortcomings.

jonoslack

I hear you - we're so used to free web content that paying $50 took some decision; which is silly given the amount I'd spend on some simple doo-dad for the same hobby. Also spent some time chatting with Lloyd online about Leica lenses he was looking for and so forth and decided to take the 'leap'.
I'm sure you're right, I just know myself well enough to realise how little of it I'll read. I have paid for Sean's site, but I read so little of it!
No reviews are perfect, but I did find it (and his blog) are a refreshing change from the typical every lens/camera is 8 different shades of wonderful BS you typically see.
I enjoyed the blog - especially as his comments with respect to the 25 mirrored mine so exactly!:) (I always like people who agree with me, even if they did it first!).
My impression of the 25 and 28 ZFs is that, as you point out, if you ignore the tests and simply shoot them you grow to accommodate their shortcomings.
Exactly . . . and to love their virtues.