The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What to do with that D300 now it's been kicked to the curb?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I thought about converting my D200 to IR, but somebody offered be a grand, so I couldn't resist.
Maybe I will convert my Pana LX-2
-bob

Terry

Mine will be a buy/sell item right here. Unlike the pros around us, the D700 will be my only dslr and I will stick with the M8's and see if Leica has any goodies for us at Photokina. For my needs, the D700 sucessfully cuts the number of lenses I need which is a nice side benefit.

jonoslack

Mine will be a buy/sell item right here. Unlike the pros around us, the D700 will be my only dslr and I will stick with the M8's and see if Leica has any goodies for us at Photokina. For my needs, the D700 sucessfully cuts the number of lenses I need which is a nice side benefit.
Quite Right Too.
But how are you going to get that 24-70 back from Guy?
Incidentally, the 70-300 AFS VR that you already have, is a real winner on the FX Nikon sensor

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hell I may just have to make a charitable cause. Darn

getting that 24-70 might be a challenge for her. I am taller you know.
that's if you can call a short little italian , tall. LOL

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Terry,
If you need any help with Guy, let me know. Together we can take him on July 17 NP,
Hell I am from Brooklyn after all.
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Nahhh
Been there. What a bunch of pansies.
They even asked me for a key to start my car, Jeez, who needs a key?
-bob

etrigan63

In answer to the original question: keep it an use it for years like I did my 1DMkII before it. I just got the durn thing in March. No point trying to weasel out of it now. Now if Nikon sees fit to grace me with a review copy...

V

Vivek

You are better off with converting a D200 over the D300 for IR use.

The D300' sensor (on its own) has very little IR sensitivity to that of the CCD sensor in the D200.

Last edited:

fotografz

Well, I have my answer now ... I'll keep the D300 for use with the ZF manual focusing lenses because the D700 focusing screen cannot be changed.

P

Player

PMFJI, but wow, it amazes me that everyone is just going along, meekly, with the premise that the D300 is obsolete. I haven't come close to concluding that. What's wrong with me?

Also, I get this strong feeling that if you dared to be contrarian, something bad might happen, here. ;)

fotografz

PMFJI, but wow, it amazes me that everyone is just going along, meekly, with the premise that the D300 is obsolete. I haven't come close to concluding that. What's wrong with me?

Also, I get this strong feeling that if you dared to be contrarian, something bad might happen, here. ;)
No one is doing that. "Kicked to the curb" is tounge in cheek. But those that do dump their D300 obviously have the money to get a more expensive D700.

So, it's a bonanza for those looking for a great camera at a reasonable price.

I'm taking my D300 and ZF lenses on vacation with me tomorrow instead of my M8.

P

Player

No one is doing that. "Kicked to the curb" is tounge in cheek. But those that do dump their D300 obviously have the money to get a more expensive D700.

So, it's a bonanza for those looking for a great camera at a reasonable price.

I'm taking my D300 and ZF lenses on vacation with me tomorrow instead of my M8.
AAAAH, tongue-in-cheek, maybe a hint of sarcasm as well? :toocool:

I have to confess, though, that I have been looking at ways to free up some cash. :grin: Also, I've been thinking about getting some of my old lenses back into action. :thumbup:

Terry

The D300 is far from obsolete and I did not get a D3 because of the size. What I do have issues with are low light shooting and on some of my lenses that were slower DX lenses I was constantly at ISO 3200. So, to get faster, I bought the 24-70 but was still missing wide with that lens. So the D700 gets me higher ISO and better wide coverage without having to buy the 14-24 which I really don't want. (Yes, I know there is a fast lens that starts at 17 that I could use on the DX but I didn't love it). What I lose is the crop factor on the long side. I haven't figured that all out yet. but with the D700 I know right now my 3 lens kit gets me everything I need. 24-70, 50 f1.8 and 70-300.

P

Player

TEB, it sounds like the D700 was tailor-made for you.

Actually, this is the first-time I've been really excited about a camera. To me, the D700 seems like a great camera to plop on top of a tripod. I have a Nikkor 28/3.5 PC lens I bought about two years ago thinking I would still shoot some film, but I haven't shot film or used the lens since I bought it. Adorama had one left that they marked-down (trying to get rid of it I assume) and I snatched it up. I'm bound and determined to get some use out of that lens. :) I had a 35/2.8 PC but always wished it was wider.

These are pretty heady times for photographers. I can't wait to see what the future will bring.

etrigan63

Well, I have my answer now ... I'll keep the D300 for use with the ZF manual focusing lenses because the D700 focusing screen cannot be changed.
Which focusing screen are you using on the D300? I have a pair of CV lenses that are MF and could use a focusing aid.

fotografz

Which focusing screen are you using on the D300? I have a pair of CV lenses that are MF and could use a focusing aid.
I haven't change it yet, but according to the Nikon site it can be changed where the D700 cannot. I added a Brightscreen Magnifier to the D300 already
but didn't want to give up the AF screen. When I get the D700, I'll then dedicate the D300 to Manual Focus with a split Microprism screen from someone TBD.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Marc, I think the D3 screens are called "interchangeable" in the sense of being easily interchangeable by the end user, on the fly so to speak.

I expect the D700 screen implementation to be identical with the D300 in the sense of being interchangeable only by "surgery". But I would definitely assume that you actually can have the D700 screen replaced by a Brightscreen or a Katz Eye screen once and for all by surgery, exactly the same way as you can with the D300 ?
/Steen