The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon G9 Competitor

D

dlew308

I wish Nikon had an underwater P&S like the olympus SW series.
I will check this out when it's out tho :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Looks very cool. Here's some info I stole from another forum:

If image quality is at least as good as on the P5100, and with the improved specs, I'll certainly get one.

robmac

Based on my sketchy high-school French (actually Canadian version thereof), the specs look attractive.

Terry

It is interesting that yesterday Thom Hogan had comments on his site about the camera and then took them down.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It is interesting that yesterday Thom Hogan had comments on his site about the camera and then took them down.
Not so strange. This probably hurts the sales of P5100 during the summer season, which I believe is important for this category of camera.

Ben Rubinstein

If it's not too noisy (G9 level) and has the ability to set hyperfocal then I'm buying it no question, that wider lens is the decider.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Nikon is on a roll! Sheesh, i have to admit, it makes me happy to see them make one hit after another. Now if I could just hit the Lotto!

N

nei1

Ben,will you still consider the gx200 or are there reasons to put the canon and nikon above it? thanks,Neil.

robmac

What will be interesting is if they release a rumored DRF.

I've been semi-seriously considering moving to a DRF as I find my 1Ds2 sits at home too often, but as much as I like what the M8 can deliver, the possibility of using a lower-priced DRF with easier access to service if needed and a faster turnaround time for same (vs. Leica) -- with the ability to put the 'saved' funds into M-mount glass has a lot of appeal vs. an M8 option at the moment.

vieri

Ben,will you still consider the gx200 or are there reasons to put the canon and nikon above it? thanks,Neil.
I don't care much for the 13+ Mp (noise!), but the 28-112 mm zoom sounds very interesting vs the Ricoh, plus VR, plus it shoots RAW, plus I can use NX with it as with my D series cameras; all will hang on performance for me, if it's fast enough for street shooting then I think Nikon has a definite hit (or, at least, I think I might get one) :D

N

nei1

I think its a good time to be looking for a new camera,looks as if there might be a choice of several on the run up to photokina, Neil

Terry

I think its a good time to be looking for a new camera,looks as if there might be a choice of several on the run up to photokina, Neil
Yes because we haven't heard from Leica on a possible CL or CM and/or Panny/Leica on a d-lux3/lx2 update or new compact offering.

robmac

Nikon ain't perfect by a long shot, but I'll give them credit for getting their act together in a big way. Industry was long overdue for a good stir.

jonoslack

Sheesh. 13mp on a sensor that size!
Look at dpreview's interesting new pixel density figure:
this camera will be 36 whereas the D3 is only 1.4, and even the Olympus E420 is only 4.

Terry

Sheesh. 13mp on a sensor that size!
Look at dpreview's interesting new pixel density figure:
this camera will be 36 whereas the D3 is only 1.4, and even the Olympus E420 is only 4.
I know! I started looking around the database at the different cameras and some of the numbers were appalling. :angry:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I know! I started looking around the database at the different cameras and some of the numbers were appalling. :angry:
In 10 years' time, a pixel density of 34 will probably be considered low-tech. I can imagine the 200MP p&s: just take one photo at any party, and crop out the motives you want :bugeyes:

Lisa

Yeah, that's more or less why I'm still clinging to my old Fujifilm F30 (pixel density 14 MP/cm^2, compared with 26 for Canon G7) for my pocket digicam. Only 6 MP, but 6 very, very low-noise MP for a digicam.

Still no DSLR, but it does fit in my purse...

Adding pixel density to DPReview's reviews is great. Very useful.

Lisa

Arne Hvaring

It all depends upon to what usage Nikon puts those 13 mpx. If they can actually deliver ISO 6400 there might be more high-tech wizardry involved here than the specs are telling us.
But assuming good IQ, the decisive property (for me) will be speed. Both focusing and read speed for the RAW files, until recently a weak point of these cameras. Certainly worth watching.

Ben Rubinstein

Neil, I downloaded the sample Ricoh RAW files and was horrified at the noise and smearing at iso 80. Not a chance in hell. I'm also hoping that the Nikon has as good auto iso as in their DSLR's which is likely.