The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D5100

G

GradyPhilpott

The D5100 was announced today. It looks like a very nice camera for that range, but what kind of puzzles me is the presence of the new hinge for the articulated live view screen.

That feature does seem to be no less important for the D7000, but on the other hand the D5100 reconfiguration of the control buttons on the rear panel could take some getting used, too.

The sensor seems to be the same one for the D7000, but I could be wrong about that.

Now personally, I'm really glad that Nikon introduced the D7000 first, so that I wouldn't be conflicted about which to buy.

Actually the plethora of lenses compatible for the D7000 is a good enough incentive for real enthusiasts.

It all makes me that much more curious as to what lies in store for the D300.

Anyone else like to weigh in on this?

Does the D5100 have any interest for the members of this group?

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Digital-SLR-Cameras/25478/D5100.html

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1104/11040510nikond5100.asp

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Does the D5100 have any interest for the members of this group?
If I didn't already have a GH1, it probably would have, as a lightweight travel camera. If I need a replacement for my D80 (and choose to stay with Nikon), it may still be interesting. I don't need a D7000 in addition to the D300, and the D5100 has the articulated LCD, which is paramount for live view as well as for video. This camera is probably ideal in combination with the 16-85mm.

G

GradyPhilpott

Wow, a response!

I agree that the D7000 is not a replacement for the D300 and if you have the latter, it's probably better to wait for the D400, or whatever, if your looking to upgrade.

I really didn't expect that the D5100 would be of much interest for members of this group, but I thought there might be some opinions.

It could be that the thread on the D7000 covered the bases for the D5100 and this thread is just redundant.

emr

The sensor seems to be the same one for the D7000, but I could be wrong about that.
The Dxomark measurements hint it is indeed the very same sensor as in Nikon D7000 (and Pentax K-5 and Sony 580). So this will probably be a very nice smaller and lighter option for the D7000.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It looks like a nice camera, but the review confirms that going for m4/3 when it comes to travel camera, was the right choice for me. Apart from high ISO, the GH2 clearly has more to offer, and how high ISO do I need anyway?

ustein

Contributing Editor
>but the review confirms that going for m4/3 when it comes to travel camera

Especially is you look at a nice travel lens set.

G

GradyPhilpott

how high ISO do I need anyway?
I'm finding that I need as much as I can get.

Well, actually clean ISO 3200 is plenty, although I think in practice about 2000 suffices and the pictures are way more than acceptable.

Not to knock the M-4/3 format.

I've never even seen one, I don't think, but their growing popularity is hard to argue with.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I'm finding that I need as much as I can get.

I also agree here. The thing is that once you have clean high ISO you start shooting differently (the D3s is a good example). But the size of a Nikon system is still quite a bit bigger than the m43 system.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's all about compromises. I've found a small carbon fiber tripod from Sirui (the T-1205X) that weighs only 800 grams and will fit inside a very compact and light Kata bag (the DR467i) together with a GH1 body and 4-5 lenses. It folds down to 40 cm and the limited height of 112 cm isn't a problem with an articulated LCD, since I don't need to use the viewfinder on most occasions. That means that I can have a tripod available for low light photography always, and for video, it's really the only way to work on most occasions. So, I shoot at ISO 100 even in the dark :)

G

GradyPhilpott

So, I shoot at ISO 100 even in the dark :)
Wow!

It's impossible for me to use a tripod for the shooting I do, which is not to say that I couldn't ever use a tripod, it's just that it's not practical for my purposes.

I do own a Manfrotto, though.

It lives in my trunk. :D