The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D300 Question

robmac

Could a D300 shooter confirm something for me (two part query)?:

1. If the camera is placed in Auto Area AF (AAAF), there are NO AF points, illuminated or otherwise in the VF? In short, you have a CLEAR VF (pg 64 D300 manual).

2. When in AAAF, and MANUALLY focusing, the VF STAYS clear?

Thanks

Terry

It is a few settings in combo that you need.
1 set it to AAAF
2 put lens on manual focus
3 shutter half press focus needs to be turned off

Then it seems to be clear of all AF points

If you need me to try anything else either post or PM

etrigan63

On my D300, selecting the AAAF and setting the lens to autofocus leaves the VF clear. Depressing the shutter release halfway or pressing the AF button causes the AP points to illuminate. Setting the lens to MF causes the central AF point to stay on all the time.

Terry

On my D300, selecting the AAAF and setting the lens to autofocus leaves the VF clear. Depressing the shutter release halfway or pressing the AF button causes the AP points to illuminate. Setting the lens to MF causes the central AF point to stay on all the time.
Mine was the same until I went to the menu and turned off the AF on half press and then it stays clear. When you turn that off the only way to use AF is to push the AF on button on the back of the camera.

robmac

Lovely. Looks like may be time for a soft reset. Have to love modern DSLRs.

Under assumption that D700 VF (other than size obviously) is same as D300, was curious if could option-off the #$%^ focus points for manual focus use. One feature always hated with my 30D and 5D - add a split screen screen and you kept shifting the camera around slightly trying to get your point of focus clear of all the BS in the VF so you could actually focus properly (assuming your 5D's #$%^ focus screen was shimmed properly that is).