The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What lens for product shots?

P

Player

Hello, I haven't taken any product shots since the film days, and now I've switched to cropped sensor digital (1.5) shooting. I was hoping I could get a recommendation on which lens to use out of the available Nikon lenses I have. This is for small product photography on a translucent shooting table using a two head strobe setup.

The lenses I've narrowed it down to are a couple zooms, 17-55/2.8DX and 80-200/2.8AF-D, and the primes, 50/1.8AF-D, 55/2.8M Ais, 85/1.8AF-D, and a 85/1.4 Ais.

I'm leaning towards the 55/2.8 Micro because it's super-sharp with an effective focal length of about 82mm, plus if I need to get into the macro range I could, at least 1:2 without extension tubes.

So my question is: what lens would you choose out of the lenses I listed? If none of them seem appropriate, what other lens? I have quite a few other lenses, but the ones listed seem the most appropriate to me. Thanks so much.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No question the 85 T/S lens is the best bar none for product work after that throw the zooms back in your bag and use the macro lens

P

Player

No question the 85 T/S lens is the best bar none for product work after that throw the zooms back in your bag and use the macro lens
Thanks Guy, I don't have that lens, I have a 28/3.5 PC lens which is too wide I'm sure, plus it just shifts. Maybe some day I'll invest in that terrific 85 T/S, but in the meantime, I'll see what I can turn-out with the macro lens. Thanks again for the recommendation, and the confirmation. Thankyou sir.

Guy Mancuso

There actually are a new 45 and 85 T/S lenses coming in August i believe from Nikon. Worth looking at

P

Player

Thanks for the heads up Guy! Doesn't seem like Canon has any bragging rights left. ;)

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
There actually are a new 45 and 85 T/S lenses coming in August i believe from Nikon. Worth looking at
Both the older PC Micro-NIKKOR 85mm f/2.8D and the new PC-E Micro NIKKOR 85mm f/2.8D are currently listed on the Nikon website. Both lenses have 6 elements in 5 groups, the same filter size (77mm), and almost identical dimensions. The the main differences are:

* minimum aperture: f45 (old) vs f32 (new)
* Nano Crystal Coat: no (old) vs yes (new)
* weight: 27.2oz/846g (old) vs 22.4oz/635g (new)

I'm curious as to whether the older lens might offer any advantages over the new model. Or, alternatively, would the Nano Crystal Coating make the new lens worth waiting for (and perhaps paying more for)?

fotografz

Both the older PC Micro-NIKKOR 85mm f/2.8D and the new PC-E Micro NIKKOR 85mm f/2.8D are currently listed on the Nikon website. Both lenses have 6 elements in 5 groups, the same filter size (77mm), and almost identical dimensions. The the main differences are:

* minimum aperture: f45 (old) vs f32 (new)
* Nano Crystal Coat: no (old) vs yes (new)
* weight: 27.2oz/846g (old) vs 22.4oz/635g (new)

I'm curious as to whether the older lens might offer any advantages over the new model. Or, alternatively, would the Nano Crystal Coating make the new lens worth waiting for (and perhaps paying more for)?
Actually one other key feature listed for the newer model is Auto Aperture control possible with the D3, D700 an D300.

Guy Mancuso

I used the older model and it was a stellar lens, really liked it. Need exactly the same thing for my MF camera.

V

Vivek

There are indications that the lens formula might have been tweaked.

This, of course, isn't surprising given the inclusion of an ED lens element.
This, together with the nano-coat would indicate that the colors will be better corrected.

The older version (I use one) though it is a superb and sharp lens, could benefit from better color corrections.

Since these are special purpose lenses, if there is an acute need for it (product photography and such being the bread and butter of ones work), the new version would be quite a welcome addition.

P

Player

Questions, are the 85s better suited for 35mm film and FF sensors respectively? Was the 45 T/S designed for cropped sensors? Thanks.

V

Vivek

The 45 PC-E Nikkor comes on the heals of the D3. Most certainly it is not restricted to the APS-C format.

There are occasions when a shorter focal length (wider coverage) lens is quite desirable.

P

Player

Thanks Vivek, 45mm just seems like a strange focal length for a T/S lens, not wide enough, and not long enough (in my limited thinking anyway).

Heck, if I brought my 28/3.5 PC out of mothballs, I thought that a 42mm PC lens was near useless (with a cropped sensor camera).

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Actually one other key feature listed for the newer model is Auto Aperture control possible with the D3, D700 an D300.
Marc, thanks for pointing this out. Which means that the older version had to be manually stopped down. According to the amazingly detailed Nikon PC-Micro Nikkor 85mm f/2.8 D page on Leo Foo's Nikkor Resources site:

As long as you can live with some slight inconveniences (such as difficult to setup, lack of AF, stop down AE when shift/tilt ), overall, this lens is quite a versatile lens.​

This, together with the nano-coat would indicate that the colors will be better corrected.

The older version (I use one) though it is a superb and sharp lens, could benefit from better color corrections.
Sounds like the Auto-Aperture control plus the Nano Crystal Coating makes the new version worth waiting for.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
For products on DX sensor, the ZF 50/2 is excellent. And, when it comes out, the 45 TS will be truly excellent.

re. FX, Guy's suggestions (the new 85; similar focal length) are spot on: the tilt function being the most important: deep or shallow DOF, independent of aperture. I sold the ZF 100/2 to a member here in anticipation of this latter lens. Cheers to all, KL

David K

Workshop Member
anyone know of adapters to put a nikon onto a hasselblad 200 body?
I haven't heard of one but Son, a fellow forum member, would know if anyone does. I just ordered one of his Hassy to Nikon adapters so I can shoot my 110 f/2 on the D3.