The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question re Nikon D2X and MF Nikkor lenses

bensonga

I have a nice collection of Nikkor AIS (and non-AI) lenses. Mostly using them with my F3HP. I've been thinking of adding a Nikon DSLR to my collection of gear. There are D2X bodies available at attractive prices now and I was just wondering how well the AIS lenses would work, specifically re the focusing of these lenses, with whatever is the stock focusing screen on the D2X. I'd appreciate any info from people who have used these cameras (or similar bodies) with the MF Nikkors. Also, are there any other issues to be aware of re using manual focusing lenses on Nikon DSLRs of this vintage?

Gary

Udo

Gary,

AI-S and AI-P lenses can be used on a D2X, while non-AI lenses cannot be used. To get a detailed answer which covers all exceptions I would recommend to download the D2X user manual and check out page 240 and 241, this should give you a detailed answer.

Since pixel pitch on this sensor is nearly the same as on a D3x you should use the best glass for best sharpness and contrast otherwise you will be disappointed. Most of the CA effects can be eliminated in post processing. Vignetting doesn't seem to play that big role because of the smaller sensor size. Manual focusing isn't a problem, the confirmation in the viewfinder works properly. I'd recommend to use the magnifying eyepiece DK-17M.

Good luck and enjoy this camera. I am still using mine in an underwater housing since 6 years by now.

Best regards,
Udo

bensonga

Thanks Udo! This was very helpful. I downloaded the manual and will be reading up on the non-CPU lens settings etc soon.

Gary

bensonga

Ordered a D2X today.....look forward to giving this a try.

Hoping I'll now have a few images to share on the "Fun with Nikon Images" thread (which is much more active than the Canon images thread).

Gary