The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What is the impact of the D700 on used D3's?

jonoslack

Ok, this is totally unrelated, but I just found out that Giorgetto Giugiaro, who designed the D3 and F6, also designed the Alfa Romeo 159, which I think is the most beautiful "normal" (i.e. not Aston Martin) car around. D3 versus D700 is like the sedan versus the sportwagon. The sportwagon holds more, but the sedan weighs less. I guess the difference is that if it was a car, I would go for the sportwagon!
Family resemblance?

LOL - indeed I think there is a resemblance - did he also design the D700 though?

Stuart Richardson

I am not sure if he designed the D700...probably not, but certainly his influence is on it due to the other cameras he has designed over the years. But yes, I think you can definitely see the family resemblance. Look at the lines of the hood and compare it to the prism of the D3. Even the red brake calipers and the red Nikon slash look a bit similar!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I believe Giugiaro has designed more or less all the Nikon pro models, starting with the F3. I'm not sure about the D700, but a consistent design throughout the line-up is very important these days, so he's probably done some work on that one as well.

Still, I think that the F6 is his most successful camera design, from an aesthetical as well as from a functional point of view.