The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best lens for 3Ds video?

aboudd

I've decided to play with the video function of my recently acquired 3Ds. I use primes, mostly MF for my work, which I've quickly discovered are a PIA for video function. My only AF is a 14-24, not exactly practical for video. Any suggestions for a 2 or 3 to 1 AF zoom for this beast? I thought the 24-120 might be good, but all of the reviews I have read said the lens is lacking. I also do not want to spend big bux on a lens I will use only a couple of times a year ... I already have a stack of those!

Any help would be appreciated. While I am thinking about it, which stereo mike with the dead kitty gets the best performance on a D3s?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Microphone first: The Røde Videomic Pro has a very good reputation http://www.rode.com.au/microphone.php?product=videomicpro . Nikon has just launched one as well, the ME-1. It looks smaller, but I don't know anything about the sound quality of that one.

As for AF lenses, Nikon don't make lenses particularly targeted towards video (unlike Panasonic with the 14-140). I would think that the 24-120mm is a convenient as well as good quality alternative, but I mostly use MF lenses for video except the 7-14mm (on my GH1), so what do I know :rolleyes:

Lloyd

I use the video function on my D3s only occasionally, and on each occasion, I've used the 14-24. I'm generally very close to the subjects, and the DOF of the wide angle helps a great deal. I've been happy with the results.