The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon F3 VS F3HP

Stefan Steib

I have bought an F3(non HP) with MD4 recently (for under 150 €!), with a good battery and the quick loader. Sometimes when I cannot remember the sound of it I just let it run for some 30-50 shots at full speed. This gives me relief and I can go on shooting my digitals. I think this pure mechanical sound was the best thing on the whole camera............

BTW I have not shot a single roll of film with it and I think this will stay so.....

:)

Greetings from Munich
Stefan

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Nikon F3 VS F3HP - get both

I hear you, Stefan :thumbup: and the siren song of your F3 shutter :D

With regards to the original poster's question, F3 vs. F3HP, the trick is just to get some of the different viewfinders and screens after your own taste.

The convenient viewfinder changing method of the F3 makes changing of focusing screen swift and easy, and there are a total of 23 types of focusing screens for F3.
The Nikon F3's viewfinders are as easy to change as the focusing screens.
By just pulling back both release levers at the same time, you can lift the viewfinder out in upward direction.
The system is so wonderfully modular.

Here I show from left to right:

• the Nikon DA-2 Action Finder
• the Nikon DE-2 Standard Eye Level Finder
• the Nikon DE-3 High-Eyepoint Finder

And with the standard focusing Type K screen sitting in the F3 body in the background.
It has a Matte/Fresnel field with 3 mm split image rangefinder spot surrounded by 1 mm-wide micro prism collar.

click for natural size

Nikon D300 • AI-S Nikkor 2.5/105mm • 1/6 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 200 • Capture NX

mohawk51

I recently read from a guy who know his F3's. He said of the DE-2 and I quote, "It was silver-coated inside the pentaprism to provide an extraordinarily brilliant, clear image with good corner-to-corner visibility". Not sure if the DE-3 got the same treatment. I do know that the DE-2 is quite bright.

Swissblad

This is some omen - I've been visiting the auction site this week repeatedly, looking for a mint F3/T in black. Then I buy a German photo mag where they run a full page story on the F3, as one of the classic cameras of the 80s. Now this.... I must resist, I must resist.
Resistance is pointless, the F3 was (and remains) a classic camera - go ahead and join an exclusive club.

JohnBrew

I think the F3 was the best looking of the bunch. I had a perfect one but the meter expired on mine and is something to look out for when buying used.
Holy cow, that image of the old 80-200 slide zoom brought back some good memories.