The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LL: D700 1st Thoughts

PeterA

Interesting read - thanks for posting the link - I own a D3 if the D700 came out at the same time - I would have chosen the D700. I would prefer a smaller body and dust shake over the D3 advantages.

PSon

Interesting read - thanks for posting the link - I own a D3 if the D700 came out at the same time - I would have chosen the D700. I would prefer a smaller body and dust shake over the D3 advantages.
Well I wanted to see the comparison myself thus the D700 will be here late this week or early next week.

robmac

Now, we're talking - looking fwd to your thoughts Son.

The only real thing that concerns me is the effect of the AA filter vs the D3 (I assume identical) vs (in my case) the 1Ds2. I could use the lower-light ability and size ('break glass in case of emergency" pop-up flash would be handy), but would like to get a better idea as to what USM is required vs. 1Ds2 on RAW shots with same glass - the usual agnostic test.

The dpreview D3 test shots didn't get me overly excited. Assuming the two bodies lay down the same file detail, I then have to decide if getting a better shot in low light (or the shot at all) is worth more than max image detail and a thicker 16MP file in better light....

Going Nikon, I'd lose access to Leica (ah, that APO glass) /CZ lenses, but the offset is also auto stop-down (goodbye adapters) on Ai/S, CV and ZF lenses -- and there would remain use of Mamiya and Hasselblad MF.

On the AF -side it appears as if it is closer to the D3 than the D300, which is a BIG plus - found the D300 just took it's sweet @#$ time gliding into lock.

I've pared down my lenses quite significantly and am dragging my feet replacing the empty slots with anything that couldn't be used on a Nikon body until I see a more in-depth commentary on this puppy.

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

Rob -- If I were you I would just wait and see what Canon comes up with for the new 5D. It is not far away, and it will probably best the D700 in low ISO image quality, if nothing else. At least you will know what you are leaving...it would be bad to leave all your Canon gear and Leica /CZ lenses if Canon comes out with a camera that is a good challenge to the D700.

robmac

Stuart - agree. Not fond of Canon's Lens Lottery QC, but any move wouldn't happen until well into Fall. Give time for Photokina and any (if any) D700 bugs to surface.

Ben Rubinstein

Finally a camera that you can truly say is the last camera you will ever need in a DSLR. If 12 megapixels is enough for you, and it truly is the sweet point for a FF sensor then what else could you ever need. It can be the D3 with the grip (including almost the same fps!) or a smaller camera for travel, a landscape, studio, fashion, etc.

If Nikon could replace the canon lenses I have in my bag, and the only one it has an equivelent of is the 24-70, then I might really think about it. As usual the lenses dictate, just as it used to be in the olden days.

robmac

Rumor is Photokina will see some more primes released or pre-announced, so should be interesting. As much as I love what some Canon sensors deliver, got sick and tired of looking for 'good copies' of EF lenses and Canon lens performance vs. alternates, so D700 looks like it MIGHT be the ticket.

Agree - time to bring the BS MP race to and end and focus on bringing more glass into digital age.

Terry

Finally a camera that you can truly say is the last camera you will ever need in a DSLR. If 12 megapixels is enough for you, and it truly is the sweet point for a FF sensor then what else could you ever need. It can be the D3 with the grip (including almost the same fps!) or a smaller camera for travel, a landscape, studio, fashion, etc.

If Nikon could replace the canon lenses I have in my bag, and the only one it has an equivelent of is the 24-70, then I might really think about it. As usual the lenses dictate, just as it used to be in the olden days.
Well, I have no lenses to replace (except for selling 2 DX lenses) so this was really easy for me. I moved from the D300 and hopefully my D700 will be shipping at the end of the week. I think for me this is a long term purchase. I don't print massively large posters which to me is the only limitation of the cameras 12mp. What could I want ISO 64,000?

Ben Rubinstein

Ha, a six frame stitch from my 5D makes 39 megapixels! What Fun! Robmac, is the QC and focus accuracy really better with Nikon or do you just not hear about it? I've had more than my fair share of these issues and really couldn't be bothered going through it all again with the whole 'grass is greener on the other side' nonsense.

Stuart Richardson

Coming to Nikon from Leica, and having used the 5D before, the biggest thing that impressed me about the D3 and the 24-70 was how it just worked. Build quality is excellent, the body is solid, and the focus was absolutely dead on, consistently. To be fair, I did have one lens that did not focus properly, but this was a used AFD lens. Everything else has been perfect. They impressed me with how well put together and reliable it has been.

jonoslack

Ha, a six frame stitch from my 5D makes 39 megapixels! What Fun! Robmac, is the QC and focus accuracy really better with Nikon or do you just not hear about it? I've had more than my fair share of these issues and really couldn't be bothered going through it all again with the whole 'grass is greener on the other side' nonsense.
HI Ben
I've not used a 5D, so I can't comment. However I did a wedding with the D3 a couple of weeks ago, and I can honestly say that, out of 900 shots there was not a SINGLE shot which I could blame on the camera.
As Stuart says - it just works.

Incidentally, although I'd agree that 12mp is the sweet spot for a FF dSLR NOW, but I'm not convinced at all that it'll remain that way. The D300 does wonderfully at 12mp - fine up to 3200 ISO . . . . extrapolate to full frame, and that would be 27 mp - and I, for one, would like a 27mp slr with excellent image quality and 3200 available ISO.

all the best.