The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Jono must be out having fun....

jonoslack

Hrumph
Struggling a bit with the raw conversion (might even have to use NX2 for a couple of weeks). Camera seems to work okay though (sooo much smaller than D3).

forgot to get a good first shot, so this is the 7th shot.

The lady in the bar was very proud of her fingernails (£15 no less).
So here they are:

24-120 nikkor at 120 f7.1 (very old lens I've had since it first came out).

Now I'm off to bed - more tomorrow!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Do tell more.....:angel:

BTW, NX2 is REALLY a nice program if you get to know it. It is very powerful and has the NIK upoint technology built in. It is just a strange interface at first look.

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I was in Yodobashi camera store in Tokyo this morning for about one hour and got a chance to play with the D700. I think Nikon really has a winner this time. It's build quality is better than D300 and feel real nice in hand. Compared with D3, it's much smaller in size and a lot lighter. It's manufactured in Japan, perhaps along the same production line of D3. The only thing bothered me a litter is the sound of the shutter - too metallic and harsh. I almost bought one but I held back manly because of warranty service issue since I don't live in Japan. The price is 328,000 JPY.

Kind regards,

jonoslack

Do tell more.....:angel:

BTW, NX2 is REALLY a nice program if you get to know it. It is very powerful and has the NIK upoint technology built in. It is just a strange interface at first look.
HI Cindy
I'll have more later - I've got NX2 . . . .but if you use aperture then using another converter in conjunction becomes a real nightmare. Incidentally, I have the Viveza plugin for aperture, so I do have the NIK upoint technology anyway.

Still, as things stand, it's the only way of doing it, which is irritating!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
HI Cindy
I'll have more later - I've got NX2 . . . .but if you use aperture then using another converter in conjunction becomes a real nightmare. Incidentally, I have the Viveza plugin for aperture, so I do have the NIK upoint technology anyway.

Still, as things stand, it's the only way of doing it, which is irritating!
I know, I use Lightroom, C1 v4 and NX2. It is cumbersome. I have the Viveza plugin in CS3, but it is not as powerful as NX2. My D3 files look much better out of NX2 than Lightroom or C1 and I assume the same for D700 files.

Terry

Jono,
I'm going about it slightly differently since I don't "need" versions of the files for printing right away. I'm going to shoot RAW + JPEG and use the jpegs for the short period of time until we get something more than NX. I'm trying to learn aperture right now and really can't handle learning both at the same time.

Since I'm editing....like you too many different cameras and need to standardize.

Last edited:

jonoslack

I know, I use Lightroom, C1 v4 and NX2. It is cumbersome. I have the Viveza plugin in CS3, but it is not as powerful as NX2. My D3 files look much better out of NX2 than Lightroom or C1 and I assume the same for D700 files.
Well, I felt that Aperture did a much better job with the D3 files than either CS3 or Lightoom. Very close to NX2.
Truth is that I have 4 different cameras, all for different purposes, earn of them has a different program which is considered to give the 'best' results. All of these programs have horrible interfaces are depressingly slow and have a model which requires me to keep at least 4 different copies of files.
Aperture has a great interface, is fast, and I'm good at it. Added to which I only need to keep one copy (ie the original raw file). I'm not going back there again for ANY camera!
Until I can support the D700 in Aperture fully I'll shoot jpg fine plus raw and keep the Raw files for later.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Jono,
I'm going about it slightly differently since I don't "need" versions of the files for printing right away. I'm going to shoot RAW + JPEG and use the jpegs for the short period of time until we get something more than NX. I'm trying to learn aperture right now and really can't handle learning both at the same time.

Since I'm editing....like you too many different cameras and need to standardize.
NO YOU AREN'T!
:ROTFL::ROTFL:
I've spent about 6 hours with NX since the camera arrived.
I've decided to do exactly what you're doing. The 'standard' colour control in the camera makes great jpgs, and the RAW files will be stored away until later.
I'm staying right where I am with Aperture!

Incidentally, has it arrived yet?

PSon

According to UPS. My camera has gone from NYC to Louisville Kentucky to Philadelphia where I am for the weekend. No signs of it yet.
Why on earth did your camera go to Louisville and not directly to Philadelphia from NY? BTW Philadelphia is a great place and I already miss for not being there.