The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D700 - Finally a Digital F100! (fun pictures with D700)

Terry

Jono,
I'm hiding out in the parking lot of the Barnes Collection or Foundation (I think you can find the info either way) in a wicked thunderstorm and can't get out of the car to to in. Google it, a wonderful art collection. Then headed back to NY and my wired apartment for some processing fun and picture posting.
I don't have a windows machine to even run the exe file so it looks like I'll be posting the jpegs.

Terry

harmsr

Workshop Member
Hi Joan
Ray
I've done lots of testing with the new zooms, and it seems to me that they are just as good as the old primes - of course, we'd all like to see some smaller lenses to go with it, but I won't be letting go of the 14-24 and the 24-70 easily!
If I'm going to use primes, then the M8 still delivers the best results (IMHO). Still, I'd like to see a couple of new primes, especially if they reflect Nikon's apparent new appreciation of the art of bokeh!
Jono,

I agree that the new zooms are very similiar to the old primes. What I'm hoping for are new AF & VR primes that are as good as the ZF primes. In other words, that they repeat the home of the 105VR Macro. I really want a smaller camera system than the big zooms provide and a little more IQ, with the Nano coating (popping colors and great flare resistance), plus as you mention the smooth OOF areas.

I love the new shots you just added with the 14-24.

Best,

Ray

sizifo

Hi There
Well, I can go back, find it, edit it, and the D700 bit is still in there . . . but it still doesn't work!

Mind you - I've been using the little exe file which changes the nef, that DOES work, so I'm cool for a while. . . . see next post
This is probably anyhow a better solution long term than changing files which an upgrade will overwrite.

What I was trying to say is that there may be two copies of the plist file, and the one you're editing is different to the one aperture is reading. Both directories I mentioned still exist, just the first one no longer has the raw.plist file. But if you messed with it beforehand, maybe the update didn't erase it and you have both. Anyway, it's unlikely.

The photos look fantastic by the way.

jonoslack

For Helen . . . .
Well - the first four were taken in the dark . . . with a table with 2 candles, at 6400 ISO:

Sim

Charlie (Sim's mate)

Saul

by the light of my iphone:

Silas

this was taken in the kitchen - at 3600 iso

Sim

all manually focused using the standard screen with the voigtlander 58mm f1.4

N.B. these are grab shots taken between cooking the steaks and serving the wine

Stuart Richardson

Jono are those first two strong crops, or did you boost exposure a lot over the 6400? Because those look a lot noisier than the ISO 6400 that I have been getting on the D3. The last one looks more like the high iso of the D3...

jonoslack

Home

with the 14-24 at 14mm
b&w were taken later on in the corner beside the house.

Right - off to bed!
what a fun weekend

jonoslack

Jono are those first two strong crops, or did you boost exposure a lot over the 6400? Because those look a lot noisier than the ISO 6400 that I have been getting on the D3. The last one looks more like the high iso of the D3...
Hi Stuart - they were seriously underexposed - it really was DARK and I was trying to keep the shutter speed to 1/50th or so - and they're cropped as well - to be honest I'd have been better shooting at higher ISO still - . . . but Helen wanted to look at some gritty shots, so, I thought I'd oblige :)

Definitely not representative of what's possible at that ISO - as you say, the last one is more the ticket (it's really important not to underexpose . . . .unless you're going to end up with a shutter speed of 2 seconds!!!).

helenhill

With or Without Noise /Beautiful Detail & Delicacy
in between Cooking Steaks & Serving Wine
2,3,& 4 are DIVINE / But Really LOVE # 2
:clap:
Thank YOU Jono..... xoxo
Best- H
:)

Stuart Richardson

Ok, that's what I figured. I was just making sure. They are still good shots! I just wanted to have it clear. Thank you for posting all these images and impressions!

jonoslack

Ok, that's what I figured. I was just making sure. They are still good shots! I just wanted to have it clear. Thank you for posting all these images and impressions!
Hi Stuart
My impression is that it's IQ is identical to the D3. The files are just as lovely and will take the same amount of PP bashing. The joy for me is the size. Suddenly it seems worthwhile to stick on those sexy little Cosina lenses (read voigtlander and zeiss).
There are some sacrifices. That batttery only lasted two days instead of two weeks, the shutter doesn't sound so nice (although I'm coming round to it) and it isn't such good protection against advancing hippotomas, (mind you, I'd bet on the camera against an irate father in law any day).

BUT. It's the nearest thing I've ever had to a 'lovable' Nikon. . And yes, I did have an F100!

(typed in bed on a sleepy iPhone)

Stuart Richardson

This is great to hear Jono, and basically what I was waiting for. The D3 IS fantastic, but it is overkill for people who do not need full-time 9fps, dual CF cards, permanent secondary grip, 300,000 shutter cycles and so on. If you just want a rugged full-frame Nikon with superb ISO performance, and the AF speed and accuracy of the D3 (as well as almost all the other features) in a smaller package, then the D700 seems to be the ticket. To their credit, Nikon seems to understand that it is better to give people a smaller, but still professional camera body. I know several female pros, and all of them eschew the huge 1D and D2/3 series cameras in favor of smaller bodies. I talked to Karen Kasmauski, a National Geographic shooter about it, and she said she just could not lug them along. At the time (last year) she used D200's. Bobbi Lane, a commercial shooter and very prolific educator (for ICP, Maine Workshops, Santa Fe, Calumet and so on) uses Fuji S2 pros -- she loved the size and color compared to other options. Both of these women used F100's in the past. I think the D700 is a step in the right direction -- instead of shoe-horning all pros into hypertrophied uber-bodies, there will be a truly professional body that bears more resemblance to the classic SLR's of the 60s-mid 80s.