The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D700 - Finally a Digital F100! (fun pictures with D700)

woodyspedden

Hi Stuart
My impression is that it's IQ is identical to the D3. The files are just as lovely and will take the same amount of PP bashing. The joy for me is the size. Suddenly it seems worthwhile to stick on those sexy little Cosina lenses (read voigtlander and zeiss).
There are some sacrifices. That batttery only lasted two days instead of two weeks, the shutter doesn't sound so nice (although I'm coming round to it) and it isn't such good protection against advancing hippotomas, (mind you, I'd bet on the camera against an irate father in law any day).

BUT. It's the nearest thing I've ever had to a 'lovable' Nikon. . And yes, I did have an F100!

(typed in bed on a sleepy iPhone)
Hey Jono

I really understand and I still have my seldom used F100. I bought it following the F5 to have the light weight of the smaller system and at that point the D1X reared its head (certainly not because of weight!!LOL) and I have been going the digital route ever since.

I will undoubtedly get the D700 at some point but I want to see the D3X before making any more commitments to Nikon. I just did a huge studio/product shoot for my daughter, shooting her hand dyed yarns with the D300 and frankly, with the105 VRII macro it performed like a champ. Sometimes it is nice to be surprised by the not so expensive and exotic glasses when you see what they can do!!

Love it folks. I have what a friend calls a ghetto setup with regard to the product cage and it turned out some really nice shots. I'll post some results quickly as most folks who looked at the original results were impressed. Certainly not the quality of Fotografz work but then he is the master. I now have a total of $75 invested in my rig so I am pretty happy lOL

Best

Woody

S

sebasco

Hi Folks,

Shot as NEF, converted to JPEG in NX2 by removing all settings and then doing some post processing with DXO 5.2. Can't wait til the raw converters work, without hacks, etc., on D700 images! Getting the correct white balance on a day where it is sunny on 1 side as you look up and stormy on the other is difficult when you don't have a raw converter, other than NX2 (not my favorite) to adjust appropriately

Here's a couple of shots taken at our home in the Berkshires this morning. Enjoy

Indoors, Outdoors, Indoors, Outdoors

Terry

OK, I'm back and here are a few shots from the weekend. My recently engaged brother threw a b-day party for his fiance and followed up with a brunch this morning....great get together to have all the friends meet before the wedding (hence the name tags)....

All jpegs as shot with default D700 settings along with AWB auto ISO maybe a crop or two....all with Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 lens

ISO 2000 f1.4
View attachment 6497

ISO 6400 f3.5 (the happy couple)
View attachment 6488

ISO 1400 f1.4
View attachment 6489

ISO 320 f1.4 (my mother)
View attachment 6490

ISO 640 f1.4
View attachment 6491

Last edited:

Terry

OK, sorry folks. Looks like one of my monitors is out of whack....The one I posted from looks fine and this monitor on my MacBook Pro is showing problems in the jpegs and compression. Please do me a favor and tell me which ones look messed up to you. In the meantime, off to use the new eyeOne on the iMac.

All that being said, the D700 is really a joy to use. Everyone at the party kept saying "don't you need a flash?" It was so nice to be able to walk around for the evening without one.

All that being said, I want my regular workflow back....hopefully Adobe/Apple are quick with RAW support.

Last edited:

jonoslack

That's strange. The only thing I can think of is to be careful of where the plist file is. I know at some point, I think with Leopard, it moved from System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Raw.plist
to

/System/Library/CoreServices/RawCamera.bundle/Contents/Resources/Raw.plist

Maybe the old file still exists for some reason.

Googling brings up this discussion most of the time, which doesn't help...
Hi Sizifo
Not liking to be beaten . . . it doesn't exist in my system/library/frameworks etc. directory (but this machine had Leopard from the start).

Mind you, I'm not sure how to search for it if it's hidden in a bundle, so I suppose it could exist somewhere else and need to be updated.

I agree with you, it's frustrating to do a google and simply get one's own discussion! You'd think it would be higher priority on some poeple's list.

Thanks anyway - at least I do have it working, even if it is a bit clunky.

I don't suppose it'll belong until ACR supports conversion to DNG, but then, that won't pick up the D3 settings (which I'm assuming are correct).

helenhill

FAB shots Terry
Love it...the roses were Lush...the oof was Divine...
You & the D700 ..... a match made in Heaven
Congrats ! :) H

robmac

Excellent folks. On behalf of all we fences-sitters, thanks and keep the impressions coming. Had been seeing comments about D3 users finding D700 shots requiring less USM, so speculation abounds about somewhat thinner AA filter - which I always consider a plus.

I'm pretty camera agnostic, but when it comes to Nikon this year, I'm impressed - and that takes some doing.

The D3, D700, new lenses, D3X all but a given, further lenses rumored, now chatter about some form of modular-sensor camera AND renewed rumors of a re-entry into digital RFs. Talk about momentum. Even giving the deserved credence to the various rumors/leaks, it certainly looks like Nikon has listened to it's customer base and is headed in the right direction with a vengeance.

jonoslack

HI Terry
Great shots - they look a little warm on my monitor . . . but I think that the Nikon AWB is rather kind and gives everyone a bit of a suntan!

Looks like you had a fun time. Glad you're enjoying it, I can't wait to get mine out again, today's looking tough though:(

jonoslack

Excellent folks. On behalf of all we fences-sitters, thanks and keep the impressions coming. Had been seeing comments about D3 users finding D700 shots requiring less USM, so speculation abounds about somewhat thinner AA filter - which I always consider a plus.
You and me both Rob - but I'm not very convinced, and I'm not sure why they would re-make the decision (but what do I know). My D3 went out of the door the day before the D700 came in, so I have no way of making a valid comparison.

I'm pretty camera agnostic, but when it comes to Nikon this year, I'm impressed - and that takes some doing.

The D3, D700, new lenses, D3X all but a given, further lenses rumored, now chatter about some form of modular-sensor camera AND renewed rumors of a re-entry into digital RFs. Talk about momentum. Even giving the deserved credence to the various rumors/leaks, it certainly looks like Nikon has listened to it's customer base and is headed in the right direction with a vengeance.
I must say, I think the modular sensor camera and the rangefinder are likely to prove to have been what people want, rather than what they're gonna get!

Having realised that there is a market for the D3 sensor in the D700, I hope that they'll realise that the same is true for the D3x (D4 whatever). I would have thought that this time they might be tempted to bring out the smaller version first (to nip Sony in the bud with the A900).

Actually, while I can see the need for the bigger D3 body for PJ and sports photographers, I'm not so sure that the Studio / Fashion / Travel / Landscape photographers who will want the higher pixel count are going to want a big body (I certainly don't).

I thought that my time with the 12mp sensor would be just until the higher mp sensor arrived . . . . but I actually want both now - the DR, high ISO and resiliance of the D700/D3 files is so great -

Terry

Yes Jono, they are definitely too warm but I was not enjoying trying to fuss with the jpegs last night. I had never set up the D300 picture controls since I was always just shooting RAW and I didn't want to start really messing with those settings 10 minutes before walking out the door to the party. The brave part of the night was shooting it all of it manual focus. By the way the voigtlander lens is pretty snug and doesn't just "glide"into position and lock in when putting it on - as compared to my Nikon lenses. Same for you? Other than the warm color what I found were some weird things happening when I reduced the size and quality of the files for posting. Only showed up on one of my monitors. I brought the camera to work today so I can shoot outside in daylight and set a daylight WB.

It was nice to get the whole group in the picture and have the flash reasonably cover the area for an impromptu group shot.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Very nice shots Terry. I'd wish you luck with your new camera, but judging by these early results, you won't need luck!

The Nikon momentum reminds me of that old saying about New England weather; "If you don't like the weather, just wait awhile". Waiting to pounce on the latest from Nikon has saved me from a D300 and a D3. The delicious challenge now is figuring out how much longer to wait.

Tim

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well I meet Terry at Photo Village early this morning and tried out the D700 and it is really nice plus you can focus manual very easy better than the D300. I did not buy anything bummed out. LOL

robmac

Jono - agree. Think the whole modular thing is a dream someone had after some bad tequila. Digital RF? Maybe. New lenses, D3X maybe mini-me D3X: Yes, yes, and maybe?

It would cost them to re-vamp the AA filter and I have seen no proof myself yet, but some folks have claimed accordingly.. shall see I guess.

On an interesting point.

Just processed two D3 NEFs of a Bouvier (large black hairy dog for cat lovers). Taken at ISO 1000 with 200-400.

1. Processed the same pic in NX2 (trial) and Aperture.
2. Shot was taken down in both respective packages by 2/3rds of stop to just get so indicated no blown highlights (black dog coming out of pool with white concrete ledge on sunny day did create an exposure problem).
3. USM in both packages dialed to 0, then exported both as 16 bits Tiffs into CS3
4. Sharpened the same in CS3 (am more familiar with USM in that package).

Observations:

- DAMN nice for ISO 1000. When looking at shot initially (with no USM) thought, nice but not stellar, then looked at ISO. Shooter kept ISO high to freeze movement, DoF was thin yet was shot at F7.1 and 280mm, so he must have been close.
- Aperture did a MUCH better job processing the pic for shadow detail. NX2 seemed to want to rush to absolute black vs a myriad of subtle shades of very dark grey. Nose color also went to BLACK vs. the more accurate black-very-dark-grey with a subtle hint of green.
- The 200-400 is a knock-out. Anything more than subtle USM broached the too-much-USM threshold with jaggies in hair, etc.

May try in C4 when get some more time. Original shooter indicates he prefers C4 for D3 shots vs NX2. On other hand, NX2 has d-lighting (nice) and u-point which will work an any tiff, so might still be worth buying if go Nikon route.

Last edited:

robmac

Tim - I hear you. Have same weather here (Nova Scotia). D700 might be a worthwhile switch, might not.

Of greater interest for me than clean high ISO and form factor (both very nice mind you) are the more pro features (sealing, cleaner VFs, auto ISO, MF focus indicators, flash control, etc) Nikon is putting into it's 'cheaper' bodies and the improvements Nikon is making in it's wider lenses in (final) recognition (vs. Canon) of: a) the world has moved beyond film and b) people who don't shoot sports and wildlife for a living, would like some nice SHARP lenses at wider apertures as well.

The latter (along with MF ZF and CV glass) would be a nice escape from stop-down shooting and (sometimes flaky) adapters.

jonoslack

Just processed two D3 NEFs of a Bouvier (large black hairy dog for cat lovers). Taken at ISO 1000 with 200-400.

1. Processed the same pic in NX2 (trial) and Aperture.
2. Shot was taken down in both respective packages by 2/3rds of stop to just get so indicated no blown highlights (black dog coming out of pool with white concrete ledge on sunny day did create an exposure problem).
3. USM in both packages dialed to 0, then exported both as 16 bits Tiffs into CS3
4. Sharpened the same in CS3 (am more familiar with USM in that package).

Observations:

- DAMN nice for ISO 1000. When looking at shot initially (with no USM) thought, nice but not stellar, then looked at ISO. Shooter kept ISO high to freeze movement, DoF was thin yet was shot at F7.1 and 280mm, so he must have been close.
- Aperture did a MUCH better job processing the pic for shadow detail. NX2 seemed to want to rush to absolute black vs a myriad of subtle shades of very dark grey. Nose color also went to BLACK vs. the more accurate black-very-dark-grey with a subtle hint of green.
- The 200-400 is a knock-out. Anything more than subtle USM broached the too-much-USM threshold with jaggies in hair, etc.

May try in C4 when get some more time. Original shooter indicates he prefers C4 for D3 shots vs NX2. On other hand, NX2 has d-lighting (nice) and u-point which will work an any tiff, so might still be worth buying if go Nikon route.
I think that Aperture does a really excellent job as well - and of course, one doesn't necessarily need to export to a .tif in the first place (I think the direct printing is now very good, with secondary sharpening etc.)

Remember you can also buy the u-point for Aperture (Viveza plug in) which will work on any tiff as well - or any other camera raw file into the bargain.

I don't claim for a second that it's the BEST raw processor, but it's good enough for me to simply use it . . . I think there is a danger of angels dancing on the heads of pins!

jonoslack

Hi Folks,

Shot as NEF, converted to JPEG in NX2 by removing all settings and then doing some post processing with DXO 5.2. Can't wait til the raw converters work, without hacks, etc., on D700 images! Getting the correct white balance on a day where it is sunny on 1 side as you look up and stormy on the other is difficult when you don't have a raw converter, other than NX2 (not my favorite) to adjust appropriately

Here's a couple of shots taken at our home in the Berkshires this morning. Enjoy

Indoors, Outdoors, Indoors, Outdoors
Hi There Sebasco
I love your house . . . . big beams and strange objects is RIGHT up my street. Our beams are not as substantial as yours, but they're probably older :)

Anyway, Welcome - interesting shots . . . where is the 'Berkshires'?

L

LotC

"....Well, maybe you remember the F100, but it was the ultimate film camera in a small tough package - I think the D700 is finally it...."

Until the the D3xs arrives, when the D3 will become the new F100 and the D700 in turn becomes the new F80.........
.....etc......

robmac

Jono - good point on Nik for Aperture. The latter has become a NICE piece of software. No need to export as you say - just need to get off my ass and get more in-tune with how Aperture USM behaves. It does have much easier/foolproof printing as you say.