The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

50/1.4D bokeh - Japanese Garden, Seattle

Stuart Richardson

Well, to each their own. I don't own the 58/1.4, but the first example or your last post did not really bother me other than the color fringing in the branch.

As for the 50/1.4D -- it is sometimes fine, sometimes unpleasant. Considering it is the "standard lens" of the Nikon system, it is pretty unimpressive. The only other fast 50's I have used are the Leica 50/1.4 ASPH and pre-asph, 50/1.4 summilux R E60, and the Canon FD 50mm f/1.2L. All of them are dramatically better than the 50/1.4D. The vignetting wide open is really strong on FX or film, and it is not that sharp. The vignetting improves dramatically by f/1.8 or f/2, but it is still not the sharpest tool in the drawer. The biggest redeeming factor of it is that it is cheap and very compact.

This is the vignetting wide open on FX:

jonoslack

Example straight from the camera.
HI Paul
this shot is why I wonder about sample variation - I simply haven't been able to reproduce that sort of gritty bokeh - even with the same tree (salix I think) in the same lighting conditions.

It would be really interesting to try them next to each other (just nip over any time) - Terry and Andree could bring their's as well :D. I'll provide the wine and the tree.

P

Paul.R.Lindqvist

HI Paul
this shot is why I wonder about sample variation - I simply haven't been able to reproduce that sort of gritty bokeh - even with the same tree (salix I think) in the same lighting conditions.

It would be really interesting to try them next to each other (just nip over any time) - Terry and Andree could bring their's as well :D. I'll provide the wine and the tree.
Well i higly doubt that, your image was not similar other then it was the same type of tree, there really is no background in your image.

Im able to reproduce the effect cause i know in what kind of situations it will show.(yea that is kind of sad isnt it lol) And im also able to reproduce your results, where the bokeh isnt so "nervous""

Eitherway, its excellent that your happy with it. Im am too, just that im a bit cautios when i use it wide open, shooting foliage... :D

would be great to meet up regardless, if you ever come to sweden/stockholm...:thumbup: Or if ill visit the UK offcourse.

Here are some images from while i was out "testing" it today.

All @ F/1,4 (except for the last one, for comparison) No sharpening applied in pp, full frames (no crops) As you can see it has alot to do whats in the background and how close you are to the subject.

@ F/2 More circular highlights, and the outlines isnt as defined.

Ill dig into this more when i do my fifty comparison, when i get my Sigma 50/1,4.

Lenses included will be.

Nikkor 50/1,8D AF
Nikkor 50/1,4 AF
Zeiss 50/1,4
Zeiss 50/2 Makro planar
Voigtländer 58/1,4

Last edited:

jonoslack

Well i higly doubt that, your image was not similar other then it was the same tree, there really is no background in your image.
Hi Paul
I didn't mean that image - but i did take a whole bunch of that tree with different backgrounds.

Whatever - your little girl is heaven!

A

asabet

Ill dig into this more when i do my fifty comparison, when i get my Sigma 50/1,4.

Lenses included will be.

Nikkor 50/1,8D AF
Nikkor 50/1,4 AF
Zeiss 50/1,4
Zeiss 50/2 Makro planar
Voigtländer 58/1,4
I'm looking forward to this! I think I'll be happy with just the Zeiss 50/2 macro, but this is the kind of comparison that could tempt me to add another 50 (or 58).

Lars

Paul,
I have a Nikon Series E 50/1.8 lying around in a drawer, if you feel that would be relevant then feel free to borrow it for your comparison.
Lars

P

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Thanx Lars, i might take you up on that. It depends on how much time i can set aside for the test.

Looked at your portfolio, impressive work!

/Paul L.