The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Trying to torture the 40mm Ultron (pancake)

Arne Hvaring

Carlos, thanks for the info re improved 2/28 mm, I hadn't seen this. It so happens that I'm looking for a fast M-28mm to replace my old Hexanon. We'll see how this one turns out. Have been reluctant to spend $$$ on a new Summicron since I don't use the M8 so much these days.

robmac

Agree. My miniscule CV 180/4 APO was just delivered and, SO FAR looks like a good deal for twice the (elevated) $450 paid.

If my (enroute) CV 90/3.5 APO ($390 w/hood) is anything like it's big brother, they'll both have a permanent home. Mechanically it/they're not perfect, but for sharp smooth focusing APO performance for $400ish, I'll happily be a little liberal with my desire for 'perfection' (spoken by someone perfectly happy to bolt a Leica 180/2 APO on a 1Ds2...). Man, was that a lens...

I have to agree with you Arne. By using simpler designs that perform very well, CV manages to produce rather spectacular lenses for the price.

A

asabet

Request for more 40mm Ultron photos please! Also, if anyone has a photo of the lens mounted on the D700, that would be great.

I'm still trying to decide on this lens. I know it's not that expensive, but I'd like to hold off on lens accumulation if I can help it :eek:.

Terry

Finally,
I can't take a shot of camera and lens right now but I did measure the 40mm on the camera. Lens sticks out just about an inch further than then hand grip less than an inch further than the viewfinder/pop-up flash. When I hold the camera my knuckles on the grip stick out as far or slightly further than the lens.

robmac

Hard to beat the above as a walk-around package. Can't be much larger than an M8+glass (assuming you drop the grip from the D300).

etrigan63

Even with the grip, it's really light (relatively speaking of course). I use it all the time on my D300. Currently running around with it's 58mm stablemate for my next review. Here's hoping Mr. Kobayashi springs a nice wide/fast SL II prime on us for Photokina, say in the 18-25mm range.