The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Trying to torture the 40mm Ultron (pancake)

Terry

Next up f16 full shot and corner crops...I know you will say diffraction...just wanted to make sure all was in focus. Again no PP and NEF is available

OK something weird going on with Lightroom2 or the upload to the forum. The crop of the bottom right should be smaller than the others and no matter what I do they are all importing at the same size....I will consult our fearless leaders but I think this still tells a good story as the corners look pretty good to me....

View attachment 6622

View attachment 6628

View attachment 6629

View attachment 6630

View attachment 6631

Last edited:

Terry

Guy - this time I'm uploading through the gallery and we can see if it comes in any differently....remember I have done nothing (local contrast or sharpening) to this

Terry

Oh, by the way...I'm on my first battery charge. 596 shots, lots of going through menus and getting my settings together, lots of reviewing shots, of course I've chimped a few :D all over the 4 days I've had the camera....28% of charge remains. Doesn't seem like the additional processing, buffering etc. (over the D300 which uses same battery) has any impact on battery use.

Arne Hvaring

Wow, Terry, that was quick! Results are indeed looking good. Sharpness seems to hold up well into the corners, contrast at f16 still good, bokeh inoffensive, no flare to speak of. And the D700 does it's magic in low light. I take it you are happy with the lens and lens/body combo :)
Again, many thanks for your efforts (so far!), I'm sure they'll be of great interest to other members as well.
Andree, I've seen you've posted several excellent images taken with this lens, perhaps you have some further thoughts after having used it extensively.

deepdiver

Hi Arne

First of all, i want to tell u that, I'm not a good lens reviewer, I just love photography and taking a lot of pictures :)
After using this lens for a while on Nikon D50 and D3. All i can say that, the bokeh from this lens is very nice... i like it
last sunday I went to a shopping mall and i've brought this combo with me.
here are the results (Exif attach)
Iso 1600-3200

Andree

jonoslack

Excellent Terry
You should get sponsorship!
I don't see how anyone can resist - Guy, seems to me to be good at any price.
Andree - lovely shots - I quite agree with you - reviewing lenses is a difficult and troubling task - which makes me all the more grateful to Terry.

So, having got the 58, does one need the 40 as well . . . . I think one probably does.

Terry

Excellent Terry
You should get sponsorship!
I don't see how anyone can resist - Guy, seems to me to be good at any price.
Andree - lovely shots - I quite agree with you - reviewing lenses is a difficult and troubling task - which makes me all the more grateful to Terry.

So, having got the 58, does one need the 40 as well . . . . I think one probably does.
I know in theory it is close to the 58 but when looking through the viewfinder, it seems like a much bigger difference.
The nicest part of this little test was Lightroom2 just reading the NEF's!

robmac

Thanks Terry (and Andree). CA also looks well controlled (test implied it might be an issue).

Jono: Go for it. Small, light, 18mm shorter, aspherical, good (better?) bokeh, great color, sharp - AND a 'close up lens' for just under $400. My bigger question is 28/2 (ZF) vs 40/2 - think may start with the Ultron -- the $600 saved buys a lot of foot zooming.

Last edited:

Joan

Wow, this little lens looks great to me! A super combo with the D700 in low light, that's for sure. Thanks for the "torture test" Terry. I'm wondering how this would do on the little Pentax K200D vs their own 40mm...

Terry

Terry, is that the Ultron 40/2 from Stephen Gandy? Corners look sharp to me, for sure.
Yes Kit,
This is the one. I actually only bought the 58 from Stephen. I really liked using it and the next day, I met up with Guy at Photo Village in NY and couldn't resist the 40 and wanted instant gratification.

Terry

jonoslack

Terry, you're Terryble.
It's ordered - should be with me by tomorrow lunchtime.
OTOH maybe you've saved me from the expense of the Zeiss 50 macro.

I know have 3 little lenses for the D700:

25mm ZF
40mm ultron
58mm nokton

I wouldn't exactly call it 'travelling light' in the leica sense of the word, but they should be fun to use at the Cambridge folk festival this weekend.

robmac

Just ordered the 180 CV from SG, agh. Can see another order coming shortly. May give PhotoVillage a try - see what their customer service is like.

Terry

Just ordered the 180 CV from SG, agh. Can see another order coming shortly. May give PhotoVillage a try - see what their customer service is like.
You may end up with the 40 from SG as well. I don't think Photo Village was sitting on a pile of these lenses. They only had two of one of them but I can't remember if it was the 40 or 58. If the 40 then there is one left at best!