The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Manual Focus Lens for D7000 or E-P2?

gmack

I'd appreciate some advice ....

I'd like to buy a manual focus lens for either my E-P2 or my Nikon D7000, I'm just not sure which direction to go. If I go with the D7000, I will go with the Zeiss Planar 50mm. If I go in the MFT direction, I'll likely go with a Voigtlander although a used Zuiko would be an affordable alternative.

Does anyone have any opinions or recommendations?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
For m4/3 there are zillions of alternatives. I use an OM Zuiko 28mm f/2.8 that I bought new in box a year ago for nearly nothing. It's as good as I'll ever need a "normal" lens to be, as long as I can live with f/2.8 as the largest aperture.

I'd appreciate some advice ....

I'd like to buy a manual focus lens for either my E-P2 or my Nikon D7000, I'm just not sure which direction to go. If I go with the D7000, I will go with the Zeiss Planar 50mm. If I go in the MFT direction, I'll likely go with a Voigtlander although a used Zuiko would be an affordable alternative.

Does anyone have any opinions or recommendations?

Pat Donnelly

You really need to give more info to get feedback?

By saying 50mm,you suggest a normal lens is what you seek. On the EP-1 though, it will act as a great, perhaps oversharp, portrait lens. You can always degrade with a filter or two. The whole point of m4/3 is compactness and cheap manual lenses. By using only the centre of 135 format lenses, the sharpness of the lens is near the Zuiko D quality.

If I suggest a 50mm c mount lens it can only be used on the Nikon as an extreme macro!

Having one lens usable on two sensor formats is another prime purpose of the m4/3 or does it come under compactness? Thew c mount can be very fast and still relatively cheap?