The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 50mm or 35mm for D7000?

gmack

My getdpi friends... I've decided to try a Zeiss lens on my D7000 and eventually my D400 (when and if it ever shows up). The question is which one will yield the best overall experience... ease of focusing, fov, etc.

Does anyone have an opinion on this?
Thanks!

Dustbak

I would say the 35. I own both the 50's (both the 1.4 as well as the 2.0macro) as well as the 35 (2.0). The 50/1.4 I find fairly difficult to focus, the 35/2.0 very easy to focus.

Actually the 50/2.0 macro is quite nice actually and also pretty easy to focus.

Overall I think the quality of the 35 is nicer than the 50/1.4.

All IMO of course.

Last edited:

rayyan

All three are beautiful lenses.

50/1.4; excellent lens. Lightest of the three. Some say not for close focus. Not a macro, but I found no issues at protrait distance. Fast. quick to focus.
At mid distances and f/2.8 and beyond..superlative performance.

35/2..One of the best. Period. Close focus. street. landscape. Portraits.

50/2 Makro..Sharp as they come. Not for street. Long focus makes it slightly slower for quick focus changes. Excellent from mfd to infinity.

I have version I of all three.

My recommendation for you would be to get the 35/2.

Honestly, I am cherry picking here. I love and use all three.

For what it is worth, see my posts in the Nikon section. Using D700. I have used them on the D300 ( 35/2 )..brilliant.

If the images are bad, it is me; not the three lenses.

neelyfallon

35 f2 hands down....at least until I get my hands on the f1.4

something about that 35 f2 on a FF sensor.... amazing synergy

PSon

I use the ZF lens on the medium format digital back
and they are very good lens. The 1.4/35 and the 2.0/35 are great lens. The Macro 50mm lens look awesome on the CCD chip. Don't forget the 100mm makro it is also a fantasic lens.

Udo

We, that's my son and I are using all those ZF lenses mentioned here and I agree that these lenses are all excellent performers. The ZF35 f2 sees a lot of use on my son's D300, much more than the 50mm lenses.

I would agree, that 35mm on the smaller sensor (APS-C) is a perfect all-rounder.

Just for more confusion :rolleyes:, if you want to go a bit wider why not considering the ZF28?

Cheers, Udo

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
A word of warning if you go with the ZF 35/1.4 - make sure that you're ok focusing it. I had one for a while and finally gave up and went back to a Nikon 35/1.4G because of the number of missed images with the ZF. They look absolutely beautiful when you nail them but focus can be tricky wide open, very tricky at times. Maybe it was just me but I found it tough.

By comparison the ZF 35/2 is super easy to focus and also a fantastic lens. Ditto both of the 50s. I've had all of those listed here. If you can tame the 35/1.4 then the look is exquisite.