The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Flash...SB-800 and SB-R200

T

tetsrfun

Is it possible to use the SB-800 as a wireless controller for the SB-R200 units using a non-CLS system? I would like to try a "ring-like" flash on my Hasselblad 503 using a sync cable from the lens. In reading the on-line manuals, I don't think it will work but???

Steve

robmac

If you could trigger the SB800 (or the SU800? - the Nikon IR control head) with a sync cable (or sync cable-dummy hot-shoe adapter) and have it in turn trigger the ring unit via IR, it would seem, on the surface, that it should work.

The lens sync port is nothing but a simple switch that momentarily closes a low-voltage electrical contact - which is all any flash sync port is 'looking for'. You just need to find a way to mount the SB-800 so the IR signal will be within LoS of the ring unit - and the ring unto to the lens.

Interesting - think I'll keep an eye on this thread and see how it works out.

see this thread on photo.net

http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00K9nE

Last edited:
T

tetsrfun

The SB-800 works fine with the 503CWD using a sync cable and the SB-800 in the "A" or the "M' mode. I think that I will just have to re-read the manuals again and see if it will work.

The combination of D-300/ 105 macro/ SB-R200s works very well.

Steve

T

tetsrfun

The answer is..it won't work in wireless mode. The SB-800, using SU-4 mode will fire most Nikon flashes remotely but not the SB-R200s. The SB-R200 requires a CLS signal in-order to fire. The next question is.. will a wired set-up work?

Steve