The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss ZF 18mm

robmac

Interesting - The F-mount Coastal Optics APO 60/4 UV/IR, etc etc Macro is reportedly nothing short of jaw-dropping stunning based on reviews from Bjorn and Lloyd C. Drool.

http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/free/CoastalOptics60f4/index.html

http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

Of course at $4000 a copy, it'd better be bloody good. Assuming 'he' is who 'we' think he is (J. Brian Caldwell, Ph.D., of Caldwell Photographic Inc./CO) it's hilarious to watch the arm-chair optical savants continue to argue with the guy.

Edit - from Imaging Resource note about the CO 60 APO:
----------------------
"About Caldwell Photographic Inc.
Caldwell Photographic Inc. specializes in innovative lens design, opto-mechanical product development, precision optical engineering, and consulting services.

Contact Brian Caldwell at [email protected] for more information"

Hi,
I am new here. I am pretty sure "Brian1959" is the designer of the Coastal Optics
U.V.Lenses. He posts in "NikonGear" and is a veru knowlagable fellow when it comes to lenses.

Ihor

Last edited:

fotografz

It's here. I've done my usual walk around the yard with it.

Color rendering is Zeiss all the way. Dramatic W/A as expected. Little to no barrel distortion, which was unexpected. Crisp look. Nice rounded highlight background Bokeh when shooting @ 3.5 up close. Flare is well controlled ... shot straight into the sun and the image retained normal contrast but I got a arc just above the sun ... need to shoot it in darker conditions with a strong light source. Some red edged CA where super highlights butt against dark hard edges , but not visable very much @ 100%.

I also have the 14-24 monster I use for weddings on the D3. This is the W/A solution for a much smaller personal kit using the D700.

May take it to the Dream Cruise tomorrow ... unless I opt for the 203/CFV.

woodyspedden

Woody and Marc love to hear your comments on the 18mm. I am still in debate to go get a D700 but if there is a good 18mm than that may push me a little more. As far as the guy from FM which I know who he is and certainly do not trust his opinion on anything photographic. Sorry but I have dealt with him before and his tests are always by his beliefs and not fact. I trust my members and if Woody and Marc say it is good than that is all I need to hear.
Guy

I will provide feedback and some images late in the weekend. At the moment we are having the traditional August monsoons and it is impossible to stay out long enough to shoot anything sensible.

Phyically my first impressions are very favorable. The lens seems to have extremely good build quality, focusing ring very very smooth and the size is not intimidating at all. Seems almost tiny when I compare to R glass 15 3.5 and or 2.8. So off to a good start but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. Stay tuned

Woody

P

Paul.R.Lindqvist

I havent had time to go out with the lens as of yet, hopefully later today (if the weather allows it) or tomorrow.

Until then here are some quick snaps of the lens it self. .-)

Initial impression is as to be expected when it comes to build and handling, rendering is also "typical" Zeiss.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Hi Paul
What a pretty thing.
Nice shots too . . .
I will not buy one, I will not buy one, I will not buy one.
:eek::eek::eek:

P

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Yes, I'm also starting to understand about resistance. I know the 14-24 is superb but I just can't see carrying it along with the 24-70 so the 18 gets really interesting.
I hear ya,i recently made a bike(MTB) trip to Gotland, and i brought a few lenses with me, 14-24/2,8 being one of them. I would much rather have had the 18/3,5 in my Tamrac slingshot bag when i went thru the trails thats for sure.:rolleyes:

V

Vivek

It's here. I've done my usual walk around the yard with it.

Color rendering is Zeiss all the way. Dramatic W/A as expected. Little to no barrel distortion, which was unexpected. Crisp look. Nice rounded highlight background Bokeh when shooting @ 3.5 up close. Flare is well controlled ... shot straight into the sun and the image retained normal contrast but I got a arc just above the sun ... need to shoot it in darker conditions with a strong light source. Some red edged CA where super highlights butt against dark hard edges , but not visable very much @ 100%.

I also have the 14-24 monster I use for weddings on the D3. This is the W/A solution for a much smaller personal kit using the D700.

May take it to the Dream Cruise tomorrow ... unless I opt for the 203/CFV.
Marc, Thanks for your preliminary report. I look forward to some samples.

Here is one straight off the camera (D300, 14-24, @ 14mm, f/22, fill flash, a ~10% crop on top of the frame).

Incidentally, the zoom lens was previously owned by Woody. (Woody, should you change your mind on the 18mm Zeiss, drop me a line.)

P

Paul.R.Lindqvist

A few initial snaps from this evening

No sharpening applied in pp, other then resized.

F/8

F/8

F/3,5

F/8

F/8

F/3,5

F/8

F/8

F/3,5

So far soo good, will do a controlled comparison between the 14-24/2,8 (@18mm) and the ZF 18/3,5 the coming week.

Vignette is offcourse present and visible at wider apertures, flare is a problem when the sun is in the frame. Im not very experienced when it comes to how much flare resistant a WA can/could be, my only references are the 14-24/2,8 wich flares alot due to its design. So while its better then the 14-24/2,8 its still flares when the sun is in the frame.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Re: A few initial snaps from this evening

Vignette is offcourse present and visible at wider apertures, flare is a problem when the sun is in the frame. Im not very experienced when it comes to how much flare resistant a WA can/could be, my only references are the 14-24/2,8 wich flares alot due to its design. So while its better then the 14-24/2,8 its still flares when the sun is in the frame.
Paul, Thanks for your samples. I disagree with your assessment that the 14-24 zoom "flares a lot due to its design". Have you tried it? Did you see my sample posted?:)

woodyspedden

No sharpening applied in pp, other then resized.

F/8

F/8

F/3,5

F/8

F/8

F/3,5

F/8

F/8

F/3,5

So far soo good, will do a controlled comparison between the 14-24/2,8 (@18mm) and the ZF 18/3,5 the coming week.

Hey Paul

Where is the yellow palace. Beautiful place and reminds me of Sissy's palace in Budapest. I know it is not that palace just similar. So I would love to know where it really is.

woody Spedden

P

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Paul, Thanks for your samples. I disagree with your assessment that the 14-24 zoom "flares a lot due to its design". Have you tried it? Did you see my sample posted?:)
Yes iv tried it and own it. ;), and your shot shows flare.

P

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Hey Paul

Where is the yellow palace. Beautiful place and reminds me of Sissy's palace in Budapest. I know it is not that palace just similar. So I would love to know where it really is.

woody Spedden
Hi Woody!

Its in Sweden/Tyresö and its called Tyresö Castle.

P

Paul.R.Lindqvist

What would you call it then ?

The protruding front element is one of the main reasons its prone to flare.

Dont get me wrong, i like the 14-24/2,8 alot, but its not perfect no lens is. And one of the compromises is flare.

V

Vivek

That is just a psychological.

IME, this zoom shows less flare than the 15mm f/4.5 C-V lens.:)

P

Paul.R.Lindqvist

That is just a psychological.
LOL

So the protuding front element that makes the lens prone to flare is in my mind? :D

We disagree i think ill leave it at that. I have a couple of thousands images with the 14-24/2,8 so i quite familar with it. Most serious "reviews" also mentions this.

Your milage may vary offcourse.

Now back on track. :)

V

Vivek

Paul, Of course! Mileage varies according to the user. :)

Here is what Bjoern Roerslett (a serious reviewer) says:

The sophisticated nano-crystal coating applied on the inside of the front element helps reduce flare and ghosting, but eliminating these issues completely is an impossibly tall order. Having said that, I got much less flare and ghosts than with virtually any other wide lens I've used so far.

Here: http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_zoom_01.html#AFS14-24FX