The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss ZF 18mm

robmac

It does cover only one FL vs 14-24, is 1/2 stop 'slower' and has no AF hardware within, so......:D

On another note, given the performance of the zoom's design as a starting point, I'm curious to see what Nikon does in WA primes come Photokina..

wow its half the size

deepdiver

I really can't wait to get this lens, it looks fantastic!!!
the bad News is until today no camera shop sell this lens in Indonesia :(
maybe by mid/end of september 2008, I will be able to buy it here.
please post more pictures from this lens :D

Andree

fotografz

I really can't wait to get this lens, it looks fantastic!!!

... please post more pictures from this lens :D

Andree
Okay-dokey Andree ... a couple more from my outing to "Sweetest Heart Of Mary" Catholic church currently undergoing a major renovation ... and a severe crop shot of my little doggie "Schnuffy" as we left to go home ... the only thing on her mind was getting some of that Chicken I had in my pocket and if I got closer she'd lick my lens :ROTFL:

Two things I've noticed, these files require less sharpening than those from comparable Nikon focal lengths, and this 18mm vignettes less than I expected.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Can someone shoot a interior so I can see what the distortion looks like. I got a call yesterday that can lead to a ton of interior shooting , meeting with theses folks thursday. Now i have the Alpa TC with 47mm now but I am thinking get a 24mm Alpa Schnieder cost 4500.00 OR maybe cheat here and get a D700 and 18mm. Obviously I lean to the Alpa 24mm with my dig back but still like to know. Not sure this job is hit and run or get down to real business which i hope is the later. The bottom line is i could still use a D700 in other work. The other issue is for me finding a Alpa 24mm used which is so rare i have a better chance of meeting God on the corner of South and Main Streets.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

woodyspedden

Guy

I am almost embarrassed to post these but it's all I could do in the few minutes I had today.

So if these have no utility for you feel free to say so.

Just trying to help

Woody

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Woody that is perfect my friend and thanks for doing this. I do see some barrel distortion going on. Look at your last one That left wall is distorting. The middle image looks pretty good except for the frame. The top one you may have been a little on the high side looking down but still some barrel in the cabinet up top. Seriously though this was very helpful. Thanks again. The lens does look nice though . The middle one the very left side and the middle post and right side are dead on the money.

jonoslack

HI There
Interesting stuff (and I'm interested too).

There does seem to be a bit of barrel distortion. I was interested to compare my 25mm with the nikkor 14-24 at 24, and to my confusion the Nikkor seemed to show less distortion.

Marc or Woody (nice shots both). . do you have a feel for the corner sharpness? I know that the 25 is not the best of the Zeiss lenses, but I've found it to be quite soft right out at the corners - even when it's stopped right down to f8.

deepdiver

Thx Fotografz and Woody!!
Those are beautiful shoots :)

@Jono : yes, i agree with you, ZF 25/2.8 is soft at the corners. Mine is the same
Andree

P

Paul.R.Lindqvist

HI There
Interesting stuff (and I'm interested too).

There does seem to be a bit of barrel distortion. I was interested to compare my 25mm with the nikkor 14-24 at 24, and to my confusion the Nikkor seemed to show less distortion.

Marc or Woody (nice shots both). . do you have a feel for the corner sharpness? I know that the 25 is not the best of the Zeiss lenses, but I've found it to be quite soft right out at the corners - even when it's stopped right down to f8.
Hi Jono!

Early tests (indoors) at 18mm shows a clear advantage to Zeiss at the corners from F/3,5 to F/11.

I can't really see a diffrence in the center, but will have test some more though.

Will be interesting to see how it compares outdoors @infinity, im quite confident the zoom will appear sharper @ minimum focusing distance (in the center) @ F/3,5. Since the 14-24/2,8 is impressive wide open upclose.

And yes, the ZF 25/2,8 is loosing against the 14-24/2,8 in the corners, but is sharper in the center especially at the wider apertures.

Kindest

Last edited:

jonoslack

Hi Jono!

Early tests (indoors) at 18mm shows a clear advantage to Zeiss at the corners from F/3,5 to F/11.
Hi Paul - do you mean over the 12-24?! If so it doesn't look like it from the shots posted. Mind you, maybe I've got a really good 12-24 (I think that sample variation makes all these conversations problematical.

I can't really see a diffrence in the center, but will have test some more though.

Will be interesting to see how it compares outdoors @infinity, im quite confident the zoom will appear sharper @ minimum focusing distance (in the center) @ F/3,5. Since the 14-24/2,8 is impressive wide open upclose.

And yes, the ZF 25/2,8 is loosing against the 14-24/2,8 in the corners, but is sharper in the center especially at the wider apertures.

Kindest
The truth seems to me though that they are ALL great in the centre (although I accept the ZF may be a little sharper), but it's the corners that are the weak point, so that I'd generally be willing to sacrifice a little at the centre for the sake of good corner sharpness (it really matters for the kind of landscape work I do). It's no good leading the eye in from the corners if they're smudgy!

It's what keeps bringing me back to the 12-24, big though it is.

P

Paul.R.Lindqvist

No i meant compared to the 14-24/2,8.

I dont own any DX lenses.But i highly doubt the 12-24/DX would fair any better then the 14-24/2,8 @ 18mm on fx.

Should be noted, that its impossible to evaluate anything from the websized images posted here as far as detail and sharpness goes.. I will provide 100% crops comparisons later when im done testing.

Last edited:

jonoslack

No i meant compared to the 14-24/2,8.

I dont own any DX lenses.But i highly doubt the 12-24/DX would fair any better then the 14-24/2,8 @ 18mm on fx.

Should be noted, that its impossible to evaluate anything from the websized images posted here as far as detail and sharpness goes.. I will provide 100% crops comparisons later when im done testing.
going mad!
Of course I meant the 14-24 I haven't had the DX lens for a long time

I'm surprised though. My 14-24 beats the Zeiss ZF 25 for corner definition so thoroughly.

P

Paul.R.Lindqvist

going mad!
Of course I meant the 14-24 I haven't had the DX lens for a long time

I'm surprised though. My 14-24 beats the Zeiss ZF 25 for corner definition so thoroughly.
LOL, i must admit i got a bit confused... :D

Yes im a little suprised to see the diffrence in the corners aswell, not that i think my 14-24/2,8 is bad in any way. In fact iv was pretty much blown away about the corner to corner performance (and still is) when i got it.

Still seems like the ZF 18/3,5 raised the bar a little @ 18mm, wich isnt that odd given its a prime.

Now i havent tested at infinity, not that i think the result will be much diffrent, just worth noticing.

Last edited:

woodyspedden

Guy

I am almost embarrassed to post these but it's all I could do in the few minutes I had today.

So if these have no utility for you feel free to say so.

Just trying to help

Woody
Guy

I did have the camera on a tripod and the tripod and head were both dead level according to the bubbles on the Gitzo and the RRS BH51. So what you see should be representative of the actual distortion of the lens.

Woody

jonoslack

Guy

I did have the camera on a tripod and the tripod and head were both dead level according to the bubbles on the Gitzo and the RRS BH51. So what you see should be representative of the actual distortion of the lens.

Woody
HI Woody
That definitely seems to have more barrel distortion than the 14-24 at 18mm. Much more.

woodyspedden

HI Woody
That definitely seems to have more barrel distortion than the 14-24 at 18mm. Much more.
Seems that way Jono but that is one of the downfalls of giving quick and dirty shots for first impressions. I took little care other than assuring the camera was level.

I am going to do some more serious tests and post the results. Not only is there apparent barrel distortion but these were taken with the D300 so not nearly at its limit! I am waiting for my D700 and will do more testing with the FX sensor
Woody

woodyspedden

Couple more shots from around the house but I tried to be very careful with leveling and angle. I think on the earlier shots i was not square to the walls.

Woody