The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss ZF 18mm

V

Vivek

Woody, Are you making use of the virtual horizon feature to level?

jonoslack

Seems that way Jono but that is one of the downfalls of giving quick and dirty shots for first impressions. I took little care other than assuring the camera was level.

I am going to do some more serious tests and post the results. Not only is there apparent barrel distortion but these were taken with the D300 so not nearly at its limit! I am waiting for my D700 and will do more testing with the FX sensor
Woody
Hi Woody
I can't really see how it can have been your fault - converging lines or whatever, but if the camera was level (which it certainly looks like) then I don't see how you could have done anything to give the impression of barrel distortion (and, let's face it, it's pretty clear).

Unless, of course, you have bendy walls in your nice house? :)

P

Paul.R.Lindqvist

I fail to see how you can evaluate barrel distortion between the 14-24 and the 18 ZF if you dont have the exact same scene ?

From my testing i cant see a diffrence as far as barrel distortion goes.

jonoslack

I fail to see how you can evaluate barrel distortion between the 14-24 and the 18 ZF if you dont have the exact same scene ?

From my testing i cant see a difference as far as barrel distortion goes.
Well, I agree, I can only guess, but with internal shots at 18mm I'm not seeing significant barrel distortion - in fact, very little distortion at all - especially with objects as far from the edges as are showing distortion in Woody's shots.

Of course - if you are seeing different they you are right and I am wrong (I'd like to see comparisons though).

P

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Of course - if you are seeing different they you are right and I am wrong (I'd like to see comparisons though).
All in due time :)

I repeat every test at least 3 times, to get a consistent result, iv been sick the past week so iv only repeated 1 test indoors checking corner sharpness between the two at infinity and minimum focusing distance.

And judging from that test there is little to no diffrence if any between the two as far as barrel distortion goes. (should be noted that barrel distortion wasnt the base for the test)

So eventhough it may very well be a diffrence, im quite sure its not as huge as we want it to be. .-)

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Woody the stairs look pretty darn good. Folks don't go by the picture frames because they lean forward from the top because of the wire mount so they are not flat to the wall. Thanks again this helps a lot

woodyspedden

Vivek
I shot these with the D300 which doesn't have the virtual horizon feature.

All in all these brief tests may or may not allow any conclusions to be drawn. I shot these as a favor to Guy who requested i do so.

Make judgements at your own risk.

Woody

jonoslack

Brick walls, folks! :)
I CAN'T - I haven't got a ZF 18mm - but to kind of back up my 'kind of feeling'. Here is the 14-24 at 18mm of a brick wall.

There are a couple of problems though - the wall is neither vertical, nor flat, nor anything much else (the house having been built in 1690), although I can, categorically say that it doesn't have built in barrel distortion.

The Hollyhock, has been smashed by the rain.

Anyway, judge for yourself - couple of 100 percent crops for good measure.

f8 (FWIW?) D700 - so it IS full frame.

robmac

Every time I see a 14-24G shot my mouth starts to water (and my wallet starts to mew like an injured kitten).

As someone who's undertaking a home reno by his (and her) little self, I can categorically state 'they' knew how to build them in 1690.

jonoslack

Every time I see a 14-24G shot my mouth starts to water (and my wallet starts to mew like an injured kitten).
:ROTFL:
. . and your shoulder start's to sag like an old mule's back.

As someone who's undertaking a home reno by his (and her) little self, I can categorically state 'they' knew how to build them in 1690.
Hmmm. 'they' may have known how to build them, but I don't think it was the same 'they' that built our place! Mind you, it has survived through some tough times, but it was certainly as cheap as they come: Just a couple of labourer's cottages back to back around the central chimney (with big fireplaces). Still, we like it, and it is ours!

How about your renovation?

robmac

Bought a Lindal home (cedar & fir beams, A-frame style, LOTS of glass, loft -style master bedroom) on 70 acre spread. House was modified to take old oak doors, wide plank flooring, WIDE moldings, etc., from area 19th century church being demolished, so lots of interesting character.

House is well built, but prior owner's idea of upkeep was shoveling driveway. Her decorating taste was also, shall we say, interesting. Her dry wall contractor and plumber (probably one in the same around here) should have been shot.

Gutted and re-did master bath, 2nd bath is 1/2 apart (winter project)
Complete gut and re-do of kitchen
Re-do of most drywall
New floor in kitchen and re-finish of existing floors
Re-do of cheap cedar molding in some rooms to match rest of house
Custom cedar molding on 'wall of glass' (main wall of LR) as existing stuff was crap
Existing moldings, etc all needed cleaning and with some sanding,prime and paint
A lot of plumbing and wiring re-runs w/all new appliances
Some windows replaced
Pole-barn built
1 acre of fence re-done and still needs expanding
Slate tile in entryways
About to tile kitchen counters
Rebuilding & expanding stone wall
Whole house needed cleaning, de-mossing (roof) and waterproofing (cedar shakes and shingles)
Boatload of landscaping - but got/get to rent 6 ton excavator & bobcat - so almost fun
Dirt bike trails started (see above - you have to love the power of hydraulics)
@#$% cords of wood cut and split for hybrid wood/oil furnace
1/2 fallen trees (Hurricane Juan damage before bought house) cut down and cut up.
Existing shed needed remodel and moved w/crane
Refinishing of salvage-yard find 2" oak door to replace existing front door

The list goes on and on and on -- and far more to do. Have more power tools than Home Depot. Been my job since leaving Wall Street. In return wife keeps me in photo gear, cigars, tequila -- and pain killers... ;>

Sadly enough, find it relaxing...

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bought a Lindal home (cedar & fir beams, A-frame style, LOTS of glass, loft -style master bedroom) on 70 acre spread. House was modified to take old oak doors, wide plank flooring, WIDE moldings, etc., from area 19th century church being demolished, so lots of interesting character.

House is well built, but prior owner's idea of upkeep was shoveling driveway. Her decorating taste was also, shall we say, interesting. Her dry wall contractor and plumber (probably one in the same around here) should have been shot.

Re-do of most drywall
Custom cedar molding on 'wall of glass' (main wall of LR) as existing stuff was crap
Existing moldings, etc all needed cleaning and with some sanding,prime and paint
Some windows replaced
Pole-barn built
Slate tile in entryways
Whole house needed cleaning, de-mossing (roof) and waterproofing (cedar shakes and shingles)
Boatload of landscaping - but got/get to rent 6 ton excavator & bobcat - so almost fun
1/2 fallen trees (Hurricane Juan damage before bought house) cut down and cut up.

The list goes on and on and on -- and far more to do. Have more power tools than Home Depot. Been my job since leaving Wall Street. In return wife keeps me in photo gear, cigars, tequila -- and pain killers... ;>

Damn my back is killing me just reading this.

V

Vivek

Jono, Thanks for the shot!:)

Woody, It was just a suggestion. I also (incorrectly) assumed that you were using your new D700.

jonoslack

Jono, Thanks for the shot!:)

Woody, It was just a suggestion. I also (incorrectly) assumed that you were using your new D700.
It's terrible - I didn't realise that Brick Walls are banned . . . now I'm facing a suspension (or even the red card) and it's all your fault :(
:ROTFL::ROTFL:

It was a pleasure - I don't do much brick wall shooting these days!

woodyspedden

Re-do of most drywall
Some windows replaced
Pole-barn built
Slate tile in entryways

Rob

Let me know when it is finished. I would love to have a house of this type but renovations for me (age 71) is out of the question. I would probably have to hire a neighborhood young man to do the snow shoveling! LOL

Seriously sounds like a major and wonderful project. When done I imagine it will be spectacular. Glad you are a shooter so you can post some before and after images for us to drool over. Also very glad you find it relaxing. Otherwise these types of things can drive you crazy.

Good luck

Woody

fotografz

Pikers, the lot of you. ;)

I'm living in the 3rd house that I gutted and renovated. Did a 5,800 sq. ft. Grosse Pointe Tudor built in 1926 with servants quarters and all that (a labor of love, even though I did not love the labor) ... a 4 story Post Modern home restored to the architect's original plans ... and my current Bauhaus modern style home where I lived in a upstairs bedroom for almost a year while gutting the entire interior and renovating the exterior ... an on-going wallet drainer.

Next home will be a prefab double-wide as far from Tornado Alley as I can get :ROTFL: