The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

24mm PC pre-swung?

Arne Hvaring

Having recently aquired the new 2,8/14-24 mm zoom lens, I decided to compare its performance at 24mm with the 24-70 zoom and Nikon's 24mm PC lens at distance. All new designs with excellent reputations. I was rather taken aback with the results from the PC lens.
Below are the *best* results from several tests rows. All taken on tripod, focused carefully with live-view (and a loupe!), MLU, remote release etc.
First pic is the whole image. Then right hand crop, left hand crop and center crop. All fully open (3,5) at 100%, unsharpened.

Last edited:

Arne Hvaring

Worst part is the right hand side. This I find unacceptable. Center and left hand side are better, but really not much to write home about IMO. Both the other lenses were much better. Anyone else here using this lens?
Comments welcome.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Arne i had this for a very short time and mine was pretty darn sharp. But i agree this is unacceptable. I was expecting much better here on your test. Something seems deadly wrong here.

woodyspedden

Arne

I had one of these as well and found it a sharp imager. I would be sending your lens back immediately if I were you

Woody

jonoslack

Worst part is the right hand side. This I find unacceptable. Center and left hand side are better, but really not much to write home about IMO. Both the other lenses were much better. Anyone else here using this lens?
Comments welcome.
Hi Arne
Years of sending lenses back has taught me that the one real rule is that if it's sharper one side than the other it's erm buggered!

I've not used this lens, but I agree, it should go back.

Incidentally, did you find the 14-24 better at 24 than the 24-70 (I did)

Greg Seitz

Arne,

I have this lens but I rarely shoot it outside of 30ft. Having said that my results from corner to corner wide open are spectacular.

Just out of curiosity have you tried any closer range shots?

Greg

Arne Hvaring

Thanks for the replies. It's encouraging that everyone who has used this lens has gotten good results, seems to indicate that it is *merely* my copy that's blurry. Clearly an exchange is in order.

Jono, I found the 14-24 sharper at 24mm too, it certainly is an excellent zoom although I've noted some focus-shift in the center of the image at 14mm when stopping down. Don't think I've seen this reported before.

Greg, my 24 PC performed for some reason better in the close range, but as I mostly photograph 3-D subjects and frequently with tilt or shift applied it's harder to judge if the lens is off. Photographs at infinity (effectively a flat field) is a tough and revealing test.

So, the upshot of this so far is the lens is on its way back to Nikon. We'll see how it evolves...

V

Vivek

I've noted some focus-shift in the center of the image at 14mm when stopping down. Don't think I've seen this reported before.

Arne, Interesting. I will check.

But I can tell you that the focus shift of this zoom is difficult to nail down for IR!