The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss ZF 25mm f/2.8

A

asabet

I've read mixed reports about this lens here at GetDPI. A few folks have commented on soft corners at f/8, barrel distortion, etc. For now I have a Nikon 24/2.8 AIS, which is pretty good for the money. Will probably upgrade to the Zeiss at some point though and would love to see some more sample images taken with it.

There was a review thread about this lens some time ago, but I wanted to start fresh.

P

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Well its not a perfect lens, and not the best landscape lens either. Still people who is most negative is those who never used it, and qoute the charts.

The lens dosent really have the corner softness issue on DX, on FX the corners could be sharper, and the 14-24/2,8 outperforms it in the extreme corners.For centersharpness its the opposite.

Its a great lens,with typcial "zeiss" rendering (contrast, colors etc). The close minimum focusing distance is real fun and bokeh is very pleasing (imo)

Here are a few snaps.

F/2,8, D2X

F/8, D3

F/8, D3

robmac

Lloyd Chambers (paid) review of the ZF line goes through all the pluses and minuses of the 25 (and rest of line) as well as posting comparison test shots (night and daylight) with Nikon and Canon bodies and while not perfect, I'd highly recommend the review.

Like yourself I am tempted by the 25 but after reading the review, the comments by folks here and from my own experience with the 35 ZF, I'm be more inclined to go with the 35/2 or 28/2 (floating element) in the sub-50mm range, especially if close ups with a flat field are important to you. If it isn't, the 25s field curvature, vignetting and close focus ability (sans floating element) and stellar center resolution can give some very artistic results.

jonoslack

I've read mixed reports about this lens here at GetDPI. A few folks have commented on soft corners at f/8, barrel distortion, etc. For now I have a Nikon 24/2.8 AIS, which is pretty good for the money. Will probably upgrade to the Zeiss at some point though and would love to see some more sample images taken with it.

There was a review thread about this lens some time ago, but I wanted to start fresh.
Hi Amin
It's one of those funny lenses that reviews never quite get to the heart of. My 50 zeiss f1.5 sonnar (on the leica) is another.

I really like the lens - it's GREAT fun for close ups - focuses to a couple of centimetres from the lens and it has a great bokeh - Paul's lovely photo shows it exactly.

Actually, Paul's photos are making me wish I'd taken mine to Finland (we just went last week). Not that we had the sort of weather he is portraying (similar landscape).

Ah well, can't complain, it's a lovely still night and I can hear the little owls zooming around outside my office window.

A

asabet

Beautiful shots Paul. They demonstrate the lens qualities well.

Thanks Paul, Rob, and Jono for the comments on this lens. The colors, bokeh, and close focus are all very appealing. In general I've been partial to lenses with balanced performance across the frame, so that aspect of what you're all describing gives me a reason to considering holding off.

jonoslack

Beautiful shots Paul. They demonstrate the lens qualities well.

Thanks Paul, Rob, and Jono for the comments on this lens. The colors, bokeh, and close focus are all very appealing. In general I've been partial to lenses with balanced performance across the frame, so that aspect of what you're all describing gives me a reason to considering holding off.
Yep - my trouble exactly, and when I'm going out and I have:

14-24
24-70
and
25 zm

sitting in the cabinet, if I decide to take either of the zooms (and why wouldn't you), the tendency is to leave the nice zeiss in the cabinet