The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

3 Nikon mount lenses @ 18mm (for Guy)

P

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Remeber folks this is ONE test, it may very well be that the corner diffrence is due to the FC that many of "wider" ZF lenses have.

I suspect it is, time will tell when i have had time to test some more.

Jono:
I can assure you that nothing is wrong with my lens, you simply dont have any material that is matchable as far as comparisons are concerned. Iv compared it to a friends just when i got it, and they performed more or less identical.

I live very close to Nikon Sweden, and probebly spent more time there during a year then most will in a lifetime.

I know your thoughts on sample variations, despite what you may think the tolerance for error when they check for it is very small.

Again this was one test, and the substantial diffrence in the corners may very well be due to FC.

Kindest

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

Please don't take this as an offense Paul, but I don't think this corner test is particularly useful, other than as an indication of how the lenses perform in the corners of the out of focus areas in front of the plane of focus. You focused on the monitor, right? Because the upper left corner crop you provided is a good 2m or so in front of that monitor -- you are not evaluating the corner performance at the plane of focus, but rather in front of it. This a practical real-world evaluation for this situation, but not really a fair test of corner performance. Different lenses have different apparent depth of field even at the same focal length and aperture -- for example, the Leica ASPH lenses tend to have less apparent depth of field than their older counterparts because they are better corrected for curvature of field and spherical aberration. In this case, the Nikon might be doing worse in the corners because it is actually better corrected in the corners! If the Zeiss has curvature of field it might look better in the corners if they are outside the plane of focus. Anyway, I guess my point is that you can't really judge their corner performance fairly until you do it with something flat, so that you can look at the performance all the way across the actual plane of focus.

I do realize this is just one test though, and I do not mean to denigrate your effort -- thank you for doing it, as it is still very interesting for distortion, vignetting and center performance.

P

Paul.R.Lindqvist

No offense taken at all Stuart!

And i agree, ill test some more when i can go out, sadly i dont have any brickwalls in my flat. .-)

Kindest

P

Paul.R.Lindqvist

LOL, thats a good thing imo!

Ill try to upload my latest test later tonight, wich was shooting a "flat" subject, a wall if you will (not brickwall though lol)

Kindest

jonoslack

Jono:
I can assure you that nothing is wrong with my lens, you simply dont have any material that is matchable as far as comparisons are concerned. Iv compared it to a friends just when i got it, and they performed more or less identical.

I live very close to Nikon Sweden, and probebly spent more time there during a year then most will in a lifetime.

I know your thoughts on sample variations, despite what you may think the tolerance for error when they check for it is very small.

Again this was one test, and the substantial diffrence in the corners may very well be due to FC.

Kindest
Reading Stuart's message, I realise you didn't refocus for the corners - if that's the case your lens may be fine . . . or it may not, but to conclude that the Zeiss has sharper corners on a test done with the focal point two meters in front seems a little rash - a slightly more convex plane of focus would account for that!

I had, of course, assumed that you had refocused for the corner shots to get the lens in focus . . . . my bad!

On the other hand, I've never even been to Nikon Sweden, so I'll allow that you know much more than me about sample variation.

Greg Seitz

I think Stuart hit the nail on the head. Here's a couple of shots with my 14-24 at 18mm. The box in the lower left corner is on the same plane as the brochure in the center.

The overall scene at 2.8:

Center at 2.8:

Center at 4.0:

Lower left at 2.8:

Lower left at 4.0:

jonoslack

I think Stuart hit the nail on the head. Here's a couple of shots with my 14-24 at 18mm. The box in the lower left corner is on the same plane as the brochure in the center.
Hi Greg
Excellent stuff - that's what I'm seeing with mine.

quite a difference from:

P

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Reading Stuart's message, I realise you didn't refocus for the corners - if that's the case your lens may be fine . . . or it may not, but to conclude that the Zeiss has sharper corners on a test done with the focal point two meters in front seems a little rash - a slightly more convex plane of focus would account for that!

I had, of course, assumed that you had refocused for the corner shots to get the lens in focus . . . . my bad!

On the other hand, I've never even been to Nikon Sweden, so I'll allow that you know much more than me about sample variation.
No its my bad, iv should have stated where and how i focused. :)

I think you find my latest test to be alot more fair. ;)

Kindest

V

Vivek

Ooops! Ban coming up - I'm extremely sorry Guy.
:eek:

P.S. Vivek told me to do it.
How are we going to see distortions and/or vignetting if there are no brick wall shots involved? :)

Though, I appreciate all the test samples that everyone here have showed so kindly by investing their time and effort (and caring to share with us), as the disagreements show, home interiors do not answer those two issues (distortion and vignetting) adequately. :angel:

Last edited:
P

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Flat wall test

So to eliminate FC i tested with a flat subject, a wall.. .-)

Camera: Nikon D3
Whitebalance: Auto
Exposure: Aperture priority, due to the use of flash.
Support: Studio tripod, cable relase, mirror lock up.
Focus: Live view 10x (manual)
Format: Raw
Converter: ACR
Post processing: NONE

Full scene Zeiss @ F/11

Full scene Nikkor @ F/11