The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

24-70 on D700

Terry

I was out shooting this evening using the D700 and 24-70. Even though it can now easily be corrected on the computer I was a bit surprised at the vignetting I was getting on the lens. Yes, I guess I could stop down but just surprised me for a brand new lens designed for the D3/D700 (see the second shot).

I was location challenged (too many people around) so here are a few shots as day turned to night

70-300mm @70mm
View attachment 7127

No correction done for vignetting....
View attachment 7128

This didn't reduce well...will check it out
View attachment 7129

V

Vivek

Terry, There isn't much I can infer from those two shots about vignetting. The lighting is tricky.

I would try in a more stably lit surroundings or expose for the shades.

Terry

Thanks, there were a bunch and a nudge of the vignette slider in LR2 takes it right away so that is what I assumed it was. After I posted the first one I realized it was from the 70-300 which was fine. I will go back and check.

woodyspedden

Thanks, there were a bunch and a nudge of the vignette slider in LR2 takes it right away so that is what I assumed it was. After I posted the first one I realized it was from the 70-300 which was fine. I will go back and check.
Having the D3 and 24-70 in the past I am glad you discovered you were shooting with the 70-300. I had no perceptible vignetting that I can recall with the 24-70 but i just got my new 70-300 and there is some (not very serious) vignetting which, as you point out, is a simple and quick matter to dispose of in lightroom or Aperture. By the way Terry, I bought the 70-300 based on your experiences and post on this forum. Thanks for the tip because this has to be one of the great bargain lenses in the Nikon arsenal. Slow for sure but with usable ISO of 1600 on the Nikons, not a very big deal for sure

Woody

H

hermie

> I was out shooting this evening using the D700 and 24-70. Even though it can now easily be corrected on the computer I was a bit surprised at the vignetting I was getting on the lens. Yes, I guess I could stop down but just surprised me for a brand new lens designed for the D3/D700 (see the second shot).

Same thing here, I got the 24-70 last week and I haven't tested it extensively, but I can see serious vignetting wide open.

Here's a snapshot at 2.8, original & corrected:

Herman

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I could myself not find any serious vignetting of the 24-70 and I am using it most times wide open.

Maybe this is because I use D3 internal vignetting control.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
It's a bit hard to tell from Terry's examples since there's a natural (and correct) amount of fall off from the bright setting sun. I don't think that's vignetting. Hermie's example is another story however, and seems to exhibit some pretty significant fall off for a modern lens.

Stuart Richardson

Yes, I primarily shoot it at f/2.8 and f/4, and I do not have much vignetting at all...at least not that bothers me.
I agree that Terry's example is natural -- that's just how the sky looks at sunset -- bright at the horizon and falling off towards the edges.

Terry

I will post another example when it get home tonight. I took some shots in exactly the opposite direction and still have the vignetting.

H

hermie

> Hermie's example is another story however, and seems to exhibit some pretty significant fall off for a modern lens.

I just realized that my example was shot with an UV protection filter attached. I'll have to try and see if this filter adds to the vignetting.

Herman