The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Amateur Question d700

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I'm having trouble getting skin tones right inside using the built in flash. They look digital and muddy. Could it could be that I don't have some settings correct? I did some inside shots at church day care and they look like sh*t. Also with the 24-70 lens has anyone been getting shadows from I guess the lens hood on the bottom center of the image using the built in flash? I'm using NEF Lossless compression.

Jack, Guy, Would you consider a processing class in your area this January. I could use some training and get away from the cold.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Mike we will work on that been thinking Northern Arizona actually.

Mike I do think the 24-70 will create issues with the built in. One thing you can do is match the ambient to the flash output through shutter. So say you are at 5.6 with flash get the shutter down to output a good value at the 5.6 level by opening up the shutter longer . This way you get a better balance than relying solely on flash. Most times doing events I am at ISO 400 at 5.6 for flash but on manual I have the shutter down to 1/30 or so to let in a lot of ambient so take that flash only effect away somewhat. Matter of balancing the two together. Also the on camera flash is really better served as fill since it is straight on

Terry

I think I read elsewhere that the 24-70 with hood on and built in flash has the problem you noted. If I can find the link, I will post it.

Also, what software are you processing with?

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Thanks Guy I'll work with that...Terry, I'm using LR, I've got PS3 but I don't use it much, and really don't have to using the M8. I've seen some of the results Jono and others have posted so its me..I just got to figure out how to shoot it, or process it...Thanks for the help

Terry

if you've moved up to LR2, download the DNG profiles from the Adobe site. Dont worry about the D2x naming as it just mimicing a set of picture controls. I haven't found a one size fits all profile but I do think some are an improvement. A couple seem to give give horrible color (IMHO).