The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

And Nikon launches a Mirrorless....

Lonnie Utah

Finally we agree.

It is my understanding, that for dealers, the margins on Sony's are better than the margins for Nikon's. If that is true, which camera(s) do you think brick and mortar dealers are going to push?

Terry

From what I understood at the NEX3/5 launch time margins for the dealers were horrific on the camera bodies and kits.

Lonnie Utah

From what I understood at the NEX3/5 launch time margins for the dealers were horrific on the camera bodies and kits.
Ah. I didn't know this, so it might go both ways. We query Wayne (in general terms that is, not specific), he sells all three brands in his shop...

Lonnie Utah

Thom Hogan's article today is pretty interesting when he talks about sports shooting with an 85mm f1.4 on the V1 at 60fps when your output is for the web.....
I can see it now, a pink v1 and a 85mm f/1.4 on the sidelines of an NFL game. :D

His argument falls flat in a couple of areas tho.

1). In the 10fps mode (and I'm sure 60fps mode too), AF is locked. I'm not sure how usable that would be for a sports shooter. I'm wondering if the 60fps is just extracting images from HD video mode...
2). iso: With a max base iso of 3200 (yes, it has a high mode of 6400, not sure how usable it is), you lose the couple of stop advantage you have with the fast lens so in my mind it evens out.

Terry

I can see it now, a pink v1 and a 85mm f/1.4 on the sidelines of an NFL game. :D

His argument falls flat in a couple of areas tho.

1). In the 10fps mode (and I'm sure 60fps mode too), AF is locked. I'm not sure how usable that would be for a sports shooter. I'm wondering if the 60fps is just extracting images from HD video mode...
2). iso: With a max base iso of 3200 (yes, it has a high mode of 6400, not sure how usable it is), you lose the couple of stop advantage you have with the fast lens so in my mind it evens out.
from what I read the high speed modes are all full sized files and that goes to the massive speed for the data being moved....Nikon showed the slide where it was much faster than the D3s ---> bodes well for D4

Also, as to the 77% - again if you are reading these forums, you don't seem to be the intended target market. Let's back up a few steps here. When Panasonic launched the first mirror less camera they didn't say - hey users, you can bolt on essentially any lenses ever made to our new camera. The ground swell of the legacy lenses and rangefinder lenses started building after the launch when users started getting creative. Give this thing a little time.

Lonnie Utah

again if you are reading these forums, you don't seem to be the intended target market.
No argument, but could you define the target market given the specs and price tag? Exactly who is this aimed towards?? I sure can't figure it out.

Soccer mom's and college kids aren't going to buy this as a point and shoot upgrade at this price point.
Enthusiasts and pros aren't going to buy it as a DSLR replacement with these specs.
It falls into a consumer black hole.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This is somewhat unrelated to the general peeing contest that this thread seems to have turned into while I was sleeping, but: The V1 will make a very decent distortion free, non-degrading 2.7x TC for a D700. Carrying 24, 50 and 85mm primes would with the D700 and V1 would add 65, 135 and 230mm. 6 primes for the price of three, and two cameras with distinctly different personalities that could complement each other in a great way. That would be a real killer travel kit :)

Last edited:

Terry

I hope at least you were mildly entertained.

In the link to Thom Hogan's page he makes a similar sort of case.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Oh, but I'm very entertained, and for a change, Thom was kind of entertaining too :)

I can say something negative about the V1 too btw. You want proof? Here we go:
It doesn't have an articulated LCD. Even my Canon A95 from 2004 had that. And since I've mentioned that little Canon, I still sell stock photos taken with that camera. Actually, one of my most sold microstock photos, a night shot from Hong Kong, taken with it hand held, has sold more than 100 times. No, I don't worry much about small sensors and slow lenses.

Lonnie Utah

Something else occurred to me while out and about tonight. The battery life for these cameras is an underwhelming 230 for the j1 and more respectable 400 shots for the v1. But what happens when you attach the F-mount adapter an start auto focusing F-mount lenses, not to mention a flash, gps or accessory viewfinder?

Terry

Something else occurred to me while out and about tonight. The battery life for these cameras is an underwhelming 230 for the j1 and more respectable 400 shots for the v1. But what happens when you attach the F-mount adapter an start auto focusing F-mount lenses, not to mention a flash, gps or accessory viewfinder?
Now you are just digging for stuff (I meant to say cr@p).

You honestly think the Pannys/Olys/Samsungs/Ricohs/Sonys have better battery life? 400 shots is rated longer than any of the mirrorless cameras on the market and 230 isn't that different than some of the smaller ones that have no room for a giant battery.

When was the last time you went out to do some serious shooting without a spare battery on a small camera? I can't tell you how many spare Sony's I needed because they get zapped pretty damn fast.

Lonnie Utah

^^ That's not what I'm saying. The # of shots in all these compacts is about the same. But there is a difference in trying to power a secondary AF adapter for f-mount vs using MF legacy glass. MF using no secondary power, while AF uses alot.

Terry

How is it any different than powering a 4/3 lens on a m4/3 body? an Alpha mount lens on a NEX? Other systems have smart adapters.

Lonnie Utah

How is it any different than powering a 4/3 lens on a m4/3 body? an Alpha mount lens on a NEX? Other systems have smart adapters.
I don't disagree. My point is that there is a huge difference in using AF glass vs MF glass. It will be almost pointless to adapt MF glass to this system.

Check out these test images. To my untrained eye, it looks like the 5n is superior by at least a couple of stops....

Last edited: