The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

And Nikon launches a Mirrorless....

sagar

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/acil/index.htm

From dpreview: Nikon has announced the J1 and V1 small sensor mirrorless camera. Built around what the company is calling the 'CX' format (2.7 FX) 10MP CMOS sensors , the cameras represent an entirely new line. Thet are able to shoot 1080p video and combines both phase detection and contrast detection autofocus.

I am sure, Canon will be next...

bradhusick

2.7X and slow lenses to boot.

I am sticking with my Sony NEX-7 pre-order and also waiting to hear from Leica.

dmeckert

i don't think it'll be the disaster a lot of people seem to think...but it's also not gonna find its way into my bag for >$1000 to get the prime. though, it wouldn't find its way there for half that either, so price is a moot point. lol

i'd love the NEX7 + Zeiss 24...but the price is way out of my budget for a 3rd camera.

the samples don't look half bad. which is encouraging, since official samples are usually pretty dreadful.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/acil/bodies/j1/sample.htm
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/acil/bodies/v1/sample.htm

Roel

Maybe someone in the nikon world will buy it, but I won't. Sticking with my NX11, APS-C sensor and my small, fast lenses.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I think this looks cool. It would have been even nicer if there was at least one f/1.4 lens available from the start though. If the images are good up to ISO 800, I think they have a winner.

Paratom

Sensor smaller than m4/3? no fast lenses, Even less room for shallow DOF, IMO I dont see any advantage over a Nex7 or m4/3.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If the hybrid AF system means that AF-S lenses can AF with the mount adapter, it's a very interesting concept. Then, the V1 can actually work as a supplement to and backup for a DSLR. Also, there are already good macro and portrait lenses available. Do I need yet another system with yet another lens mount? Yeah, sure :ROTFL:

PeterB666

The two cameras have an odd set of specs. The J1 has no provision for an external flash so that one is obviously for the low end of the consumer market and the V1 with its alloy body and built in EVF has no built in flash but relies on a very low powered external flash with a custom connection - there are no other options.

The lenses scream mass market but are generally well priced and the overall price of the cameras is well below many initial rumours.

No fast glass.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Oh, and Nikon; it will meter with AIS and other old lenses, right? Nikon, can you hear me? You didn't cripple the metering on this one too, did you?

cjlacz

With a 2.7x crop I can't really see it acting as a backup to a DLSR. You'd need a whole other set of lenses pretty much no matter what range you were shooting.

I think it's an intriguing camera. The focus system seems like the big differentiator from m4/3s. It's hard to tell from the photos, but the biggest disappoint I have so far is that the lenses seem no smaller than m4/3s and maybe even larger and heavier.

It's too early to call anyone a winner or loser. It looks like a reasonable system, just three years behind at this point. Hopefully it will see a lot of updates in the next two years.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
With a 2.7x crop I can't really see it acting as a backup to a DLSR. You'd need a whole other set of lenses pretty much no matter what range you were shooting.
Nope, only a WA zoom is needed. Already a 17-50, standard zoom for DX, would be a 46-135mm (35mm eqv.). It wouldn't be the same of course, but in situations that aren't too demanding but still important to get the shot, it could work fine, and it takes up considerably less space than an extra DSLR body that most likely won't be used.

Edit: The V1 uses the same battery as the D7000, unlike Panasonic who launches a new battery for almost every single camera. This also means that battery live will probably be very decent. I like this more and more :)

EDit 2, about the mount adapter:
"Autofocus may not perform as expected in some situations or with some lenses. Restrictions apply to mounting and functionality with some lenses." That means it will AF with at least some lenses, right? I wonder if my, ummm... 216-540mm AF-S will :confused:

Last edited:

raist3d

I am fine with the sensor. But if Nikon didn't make sure they do smaller lenses as a result then their unique potential selling proposition on that end fails.

The rest I can understand, except I think the price is a bit high.

- Raist

ptomsu

Workshop Member
After reading through the specs for a while I must say I am not a fan of this concept. Similar to the Pentax Q concept. There will sure be enough to who this concept appeals, for my needs I would rather buy a serious compact like the XZ1 instead of such a system.

I would have better liked a sensor at least the size of 43 or even better APSC.

Obviously all the vendors need to be in the mirroeless system camp today. But the issue is that they also seem to listen too much to marketing and not to the needs of serious photographers.

Maybe Leica will bring the perfect mirrorless system?

Terry

The crop factor doesn't bother me that much. They kept the pixel count at 10mp so I would have expected on a sensor that is 4x larger than an LX5/XZ-1 that they would be able to get really good high ISO results. The camera only goes to 3200 with 6400 as Hi extended ISO.

So, the limited pixel count/ISO is the surprise for me.

On the upside the lower pixel count does allow for fast processing and the feature set seems to indicate that with a number of different high speed options in movies and stills. The lower end model only has an electronic shutter and the higher end has both electronic and mechanical (allowing for fast shutter speeds or different flash synch speeds).

I'm surprised that they didn't get a fast portrait prime out there right away to make a mark on the more advanced users.....or at least a lens that would be really enticing.

Buffer depth is impressive and something I do hit up against in m4/3:
At maximum resolution, buffer depth with a mechanical shutter is rated at 42 frames in raw+JPEG Fine mode, 44 frames in raw mode, and 58 frames in JPEG mode. Buffer depths using the electronic shutter aren't yet available.

Anyone notice from the pictures how square the LCD looks on the back....the camera is a 3:2 aspect ratio so I wonder how much screen real estate is compromised....aslo the LCD has a lot lower resolution than the EVF and seems a little lackluster given todays newest screens. Edit - whoops that LCD spec is for the lower end model not the high end model which is 921K and makes a lot more sense.

Edit- I just tried to watch the "motion" samples. Not quite sure I know how it works or how manipulated the samples are. For instance there is a woman kicking a soccer ball. You see the kick and then there is a still. The still isn't really from the sequence but don't know what sort of post processing was done to get the music and still portion. Samples are here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1316578774.html

Last edited:

jonoslack

After reading through the specs for a while I must say I am not a fan of this concept. Similar to the Pentax Q concept. There will sure be enough to who this concept appeals, for my needs I would rather buy a serious compact like the XZ1 instead of such a system.
Well, the sensor is 4 times as big as that on the Pentax Q, and 2.5 times as big as the XZ1 sensor.

The advantage of course is that the lenses are going to be much smaller than m4/3 or NEX or Samsung, but the image quality will be much better than Pentax Q.

Personally I'd also rather have an XZ1 as a 'pocket' camera, but I can see this system doing REALLY well as an only system for a lot of people, small, sexy (well, almost), should have pretty good image quality and decent low light capabilities. Excellent.

But I'm sticking to my NEX7 order thank you very much!

all the best

peterb

Just what the world needs...yet another format and lenses. I'm sure there are people who'll buy it simply because it's a Nikon.

Last edited:

Godfrey

2.7X and slow lenses to boot.

I am sticking with my Sony NEX-7 pre-order and also waiting to hear from Leica.
Another format, another new system ... the main consideration for me is M-bayonet, manual focus lens compatibility. This new format, like the Pentax Q, is less useful for that.

I'm quite pleased with the Ricoh GXR and the A12 Camera Mount. I'll wait to hear from Leica next too.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well, the sensor is 4 times as big as that on the Pentax Q, and 2.5 times as big as the XZ1 sensor.

The advantage of course is that the lenses are going to be much smaller than m4/3 or NEX or Samsung, but the image quality will be much better than Pentax Q.

Personally I'd also rather have an XZ1 as a 'pocket' camera, but I can see this system doing REALLY well as an only system for a lot of people, small, sexy (well, almost), should have pretty good image quality and decent low light capabilities. Excellent.

But I'm sticking to my NEX7 order thank you very much!

all the best
I agree that the Nikon concept will be appealing to lot of people. Albeit not to me. Then I stay rather with my M43 gear.

NEX7 looks pretty nice, not sure if I should get on order as well.

Cheers

Peter

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This is not about making the best camera, it's about branding. For most potential buyers, f/1.4 and f/3.5 are just numbers. Most DSLRs sell with kit lenses that start at f/3.5 and higher anyway. Microsoft didn't succeed because it was the best OS, but because IBM decided to use it. For cameras, there are no stronger brand names than Nikon and Canon. The 1 cameras seem to produce excellent results at least up to ISO 800, and the system seems to be as well integrated with existing Nikon DSLR technology as practically possible. A couple of thousand enthusiasts who frequent this and other online photography forums will keep on arguing about lack of fast lenses and noise at ISO 6400, but Johnny Normal doesn't see those problems. And if I'm being completely honest with myself, and when I look at the practicality built into the system, there's hardly any EVIL cameras and lenses that would integrate better with my existing Nikon lenses and bodies should I choose to continue using the camera industry's equivalent of Volvo.

I think Nikon has done an excellent job here, and the very businesslike, almost utilitarian design of most components, will make the 1 system a serious contender to NEX, m4/3 and whatever the Samsung is called. People who already use Nikon and haven't invested in EVIL yet, will most certainly buy into the system. To top it off, there's even a pink model with lenses to match for the gf, bf or whoever else in the family who doesn't know that real cameras are black ;)

Lonnie Utah

http://arcrental.wordpress.com/2011/09/21/nikon-unveils-mirrorless-offering-the-j1-and-v1/

It’s hard to discern the target demographic for the 1 cameras. At these prices and with this spec sheet, they are not competitive in the high-end mirrorless interchangeable lens market: pros and enthusiasts looking for a second “carry everywhere” camera when they are not on a shoot with their bulky full-frame or medium format camera. Likewise, consumers (the multi-color availability makes it looks like a nod to this demo) looking to “trade up” from compacts will balk at these prices, considering the entry-level models of the established mirrorless players, like the E-PM1 from Olympus, the Panasonic GF3 and Sony’s NEX-3C are cheaper and better spec’d. It’s unclear that the consumer market really cares about interchangeable lenses, but the promise of baked-in DSLR image quality, or something approaching it, is more compelling, and that’s something the 1 system is in the least advantageous position to offer.