The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photokina what will Nikon announce now

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well after reading of the Canon 50d and we only have a couple weeks away from the big show. I wonder what Nikon still has up there sleeves. There is no way there done. There has always been a cat and mouse game between Canon and Nikon so they have to be saving something else. My bet is more glass and a 24mpx D4 that is a slower camera than the current D3. This one for image quality over the speed of the D3. Which to me makes perfect market sense.

Thoughts and guesses

jonoslack

Well after reading of the Canon 50d and we only have a couple weeks away from the big show. I wonder what Nikon still has up there sleeves. There is no way there done. There has always been a cat and mouse game between Canon and Nikon so they have to be saving something else. My bet is more glass and a 24mpx D4 that is a slower camera than the current D3. This one for image quality over the speed of the D3. Which to me makes perfect market sense.

Thoughts and guesses
HI There
Announcement on 27th August
D90 announced

there's lots of talk of revamped primes - so maybe one or two.

also talk of new quality mid range zoom - I'd be surprised but overjoyed

that's it - 24mp camera coming later - it looks like Sony have gone a little 'off the boil' with their camera too (which probably reduces the urgency for Nikon), so I expect nothing - perhaps until November, probably in January.

O

Oxide Blu

I have it on very good authority that Nikon will announce their acquisition of Canon...not that Nikon needs the technology or lenses or anything trivial like that. No, Nikon is only interested in being able to legally paint their lenses white. :D

A

asabet

I'd most like to see a new 35mm prime and a high grade image stabilized mid range zoom.

jonoslack

I'd most like to see a new 35mm prime and a high grade image stabilized mid range zoom.
Wouldn't we all . . . . I certainly would (actually, I might prefer a slightly longer prime, but the point's the same).

I'm afraid we'll have to whistle for it though :(

T

tetsrfun

Replacement of the 70-200 2.8?? I have seen reports that this lens is being discounted and it is back ordered/ out of stock at B & H and several other online stores.

Steve

jonoslack

Replacement of the 70-200 2.8?? I have seen reports that this lens is being discounted and it is back ordered/ out of stock at B & H and several other online stores.

Steve
Hi Steve
Maybe you're right, but the 80-400 VR still hasn't achieved AF-S, despite being toted for it every year for the last five. Nikon aren't big on updating existing lens designs (can you think of one?). Also they aren't big on listening to user's opinions about lenses . . . 24-120 as kit lens on the D700 . . . I ask you!

Stuart Richardson

Well, I think they may have turned over a new leaf, because they seem to be better than any current manufacturer at listening to their customers -- the D3, D700, D300, 14-24 and 24-70, TS lenses and 105 VR are all things that people were really clamoring for. Hopefully updated primes will join those ranks.

T

tetsrfun

Hi Steve
Maybe you're right, but the 80-400 VR still hasn't achieved AF-S, despite being toted for it every year for the last five. Nikon aren't big on updating existing lens designs (can you think of one?). Also they aren't big on listening to user's opinions about lenses . . . 24-120 as kit lens on the D700 . . . I ask you!
I was trying a 70-200 on my D300 yesterday and later was checking on-line for reviews and saw that speculation. I have an 80-400 and I guess the upside of not being AF-S is size and weight.

Steve

Lars

D3x/D4 would be a surprise (we haven't seen the usual build-up of leaks).

50/1.4 AFS seems like a given - list price in Germany is rumored to be €649 "but not before September".
http://nikonrumors.com/2008/08/15/nikon-afs-50-mm-lens.aspx

Maybe some other primes updated to AFS and better optical designs, it's about time.

Then there was that ad in Rangefinder Magazine re the Nikon event at WPPI in February 2009... interpretation is of course up to each reader.

http://nikonrumors.com/2008/08/22/nikon-digital-rangefinder-rumor-still-alive.aspx

jonoslack

Hi Lars
D3x/D4 would be a surprise (we haven't seen the usual build-up of leaks).
I quite agree - it seems likely that the Sony is a little delayed, taking the pressure off Nikon - next year I reckon
50/1.4 AFS seems like a given - list price in Germany is rumored to be €649 "but not before September".
http://nikonrumors.com/2008/08/15/nikon-afs-50-mm-lens.aspx
I'm not convinced by this - if dealers know about it, there WILL BE LEAKS, and as there haven't been serious leaks, I think it's more likely to be a hoax. Nice if I'm proved wrong though.

Maybe some other primes updated to AFS and better optical designs, it's about time.
Quite agree, but it doesn't mean that it's gonna happen.
Then there was that ad in Rangefinder Magazine re the Nikon event at WPPI in February 2009... interpretation is of course up to each reader.

http://nikonrumors.com/2008/08/22/nikon-digital-rangefinder-rumor-still-alive.aspx
Yes, Well, are YOU convinced by this?

I'd love to think there will be a bunch of new stuff on the 27th, but my instinct tells me it'll be limited to the D90

DavidL

Nikon Pro support are on the road in the UK from 3rd to 26th September, starting in Scotland and ending up in London. I'm going to the Midlands session which is also in the middle (Makes sense) of the schedule on 16th.
Invite says
Nikon is pleased to announce that we will be hosting a series of NPS only events throughout September. Here you will be able to get hands-on experience with the new products and talk to the experts. We will also present a quick introduction to the new technologies and a refresher course to anyone wanting to know how to set-up our wireless flash system (creative lighting system).

As in previous years a free equipment check and clean will be available. Our Technicians will service your Nikon pro gear on a first-come, first-served basis. The amount of equipment per person will be limited, so just bring along your major items - no bags!

So I would guess if there is anything new they will have announced it by then. However, it is a guess and they may well keep quite. David

jonoslack

Nikon Pro support are on the road in the UK from 3rd to 26th September, starting in Scotland and ending up in London. I'm going to the Midlands session which is also in the middle (Makes sense) of the schedule on 16th.
Invite says
Nikon is pleased to announce that we will be hosting a series of NPS only events throughout September. Here you will be able to get hands-on experience with the new products and talk to the experts. We will also present a quick introduction to the new technologies and a refresher course to anyone wanting to know how to set-up our wireless flash system (creative lighting system).

As in previous years a free equipment check and clean will be available. Our Technicians will service your Nikon pro gear on a first-come, first-served basis. The amount of equipment per person will be limited, so just bring along your major items - no bags!

So I would guess if there is anything new they will have announced it by then. However, it is a guess and they may well keep quite. David
Hi David
Enjoy the beano . . . . I'm hoping to be in Crete just then, otherwise I'd try and scrounge a ticket with you.

losta

I would be extremely happy with some fast small primes, 28 and or 35 F1.4 is all I ask.
Maybe a redesign of the 85 1.4 too but at least there is an 85 1.4 now.

fotografz

Here's a guarantee ... the new 50/1.4 AFS is real !

How do I know?

I just ordered the 50/1.4AFD before reading this thread :wtf:

NIKON; GIVE US A 35/1.4AFS ASPH. .... pretty please.

An 85/1.4 AFS "nano nano" would be nice also.

Stuart Richardson

Marc -- I like your reasoning -- it meshes well with my experience. Just like how I wanted a more compact D3 before I bought the D3, and then after I got it, they came out with the D700. I also wanted some primes and bought the 50/1.4 with my D3, so chances are pretty high that there will be an AFS version. At least it less than 300 dollars rather than a 2000 difference!