The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF Primes or Monster Zooms on trips away

Terry

Thanks Amin,
I haven't made any decision on this lens. Didn't really know much about it until I read about someone testing out the D700 with it and liking it. Then it picked up further mention by Thom Hogan which rekindled it. My lens lineup right now is 24-70, 70-300, cv40, 50 f1.8, cv58, 180 which means I really don't need the 28-300 but would love something lighter than the big two zoom combo. Given my current kit I am in no rush and will wait until the full set of Photokina announcements are made.

S

sebasco

Hi Jono,

I'm pretty sure you'd return the Tamron 28-300 right away if you bought it. It isn't a lens that could work for the type of scenics you've shown with just a sliver of land at the bottom. I just thought Terry might like to see some full frame samples with that lens.

My choice, if I had your kit, would be to go with just the Zeiss 25, CV 58/1.4, and the 28-105. I like to travel light, prefer the use of primes, and rarely want to go wider than 25 or longer than 105. Those little three lenses would have me covered.

However, you tend to use a wider focal length range, so I think there are two good choices for your first trip. One would be 14-24, 28-105, 58/1.4, and 70-300. The other would be 14-24, 24-70, 58/1.4, 70-300, and 105 macro. It really just comes down to how much you're willing to carry!
I agree that the Tamron 28-300 would be returned almost instantaneously by Jono. I've tried and returned it, the Tamron 28-75 f/2.5 and the Nikon 24-120 VR (only good if stepped down dramatically & from 35-80!). I've resigned myself, for now, to using the 24-70 f/2.8 (marvelous lens) and the 50 f/1.4 (very good lens but wish it had nano coating for the ghosting & micro-contrast). I keep my 24-70 on most of the time, though very heavy, as I love its image quality. Just ordered a cheapie 28-80 f/3.3-5.6 ($55) as I owned one years ago with the N55 and liked it just to try it out.

Jono, take the 24-70. you have such a wonderful eye; you need the best!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jono, have you considered the Nikkor 24-85 f/2.8-4.0? A bit of barrel distortion and the wide end, and needs to be stopped down a bit at the long, but apart from that, it's a very good lens and much lighter and smaller than the 24-70. Cheap second-hand as well.

Then there's the 35-70 f/2.8 of course, but the zoom range is almost as short as with the CV 58/1.4 :)

Terry

I agree that the Tamron 28-300 would be returned almost instantaneously by Jono. I've tried and returned it, the Tamron 28-75 f/2.5 and the Nikon 24-120 VR (only good if stepped down dramatically & from 35-80!). I've resigned myself, for now, to using the 24-70 f/2.8 (marvelous lens) and the 50 f/1.4 (very good lens but wish it had nano coating for the ghosting & micro-contrast). I keep my 24-70 on most of the time, though very heavy, as I love its image quality. Just ordered a cheapie 28-80 f/3.3-5.6 ($55) as I owned one years ago with the N55 and liked it just to try it out.

Jono, take the 24-70. you have such a wonderful eye; you need the best!
OK, I'm convinced :ROTFL:. I will stick with my current kit!

Actually I would LOVE!!!!! a small (slow is OK) VERY wide Voigtlander superwide like a 15mm (the 12 and 15 for the M8 are terrific).
OK there are a few other goodies that I want.....

losta

...the point is that there are BIG dramatic landscapes around Ronda - and I do want some real wide angle for those. I like the pancake, but the 58 f1.4 is almost as small, and it's a little longer and a little faster - good for the wedding in the evening.
Hi Jono,
Yes I understand, sounds like a good reason for the 14-24 or zeiss 18.

I did a few weeks of European traveling this past spring (pre D700) with the D3 14-24 & 24-70 as well as D300 with 18-200 as backup/lightweight alternative.

Most often I left the 14-24 in the hotel and just went out with the 24-70, it was just too heavy to walk 6-8 hours a day with both. The Zeiss 18 looks good to me too but I am curious to see what Nikon will come up with in terms of primes by Photokina next month. I sure would like something like 24, 28, 35 1.4s!

Enjoy your trip!

charlesphoto

Too many lenses = too many decisions = too many missed moments.

Simple is always better. That's why some of the worlds best/famous photographers spend a lifetime with one camera and one lens.

I would take the D700 with the 14-24 (if landscapes are your thing) and the 58 f1.4. The M8 with the 25 and 50. Two bodies and four lenses. Aren't you supposed to be on vacation? Make it easy on yourself.

Best,

Charles