The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D90 is here

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Key features

12.3-megapixel DX-format CMOS imaging sensor: Coupled with Nikon's EXPEED image processing technologies and NIKKOR optics, breathtaking image fidelity is assured.
Continuous shooting as fast as 4.5 frames-per-second: Combined with fast 0.15ms power-up and split-second 65ms shooting lag, dramatic action and decisive moments are captured easily.
D-Movie Mode—Cinematic 24fps HD with sound: Record cinematic-quality movie clips at up to 720p HD (1280 x 720 pixels) in Motion JPEG format, enhanced by NIKKOR interchangeable lens quality and versatility.
Low noise ISO sensitivity from 200 to 3200: High signal-to-noise components and design deliver exceptional performance, even at high ISO setting.
3-inch super-density 920,000-dot color LCD monitor: High resolution, 170-degree wide-angle viewing guarantees confident image review and movie playback.
Built-in image sensor cleaning: Effective 4-frequency, ultrasonic sensor cleaning frees image degrading dust particles from the sensor's optical low pass filter.
11-point AF system with Face Priority: Consistently fast and accurate autofocus, reinforced by the Nikon Scene Recognition System, delivers razor sharpness in a wide variety of conditions.
One-button Live View: Easy to use Live View activates access to 3 contrast detection focus modes including Face Priority AF.
Nikon 3D Color Matrix Metering II with Scene Recognition System: Nikon's renowned 420-pixel RGB 3D Color Matrix Metering II, teamed with the exclusive Scene Recognition System, evaluates images, referencing an on-board database of over 30,000 photographic scenes, for unmatched exposure accuracy.
Comprehensive exposure control: Five advanced scene modes plus Program Auto, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority and Manual.
Auto Active D-Lighting: Selectable and Automatic, Active D-Lighting optimizes details within shadows and highlights, taming high-contrast situations in real time.
Durable, high precision shutter: Testing to over 100,000 cycles assures shutter life and accuracy.
In-Camera Image Editing: Creative freedom stems from exclusive in-camera image editing, featuring Fisheye effect, Straighten and Distortion Control as well as D-Lighting, Red-eye Reduction, Image Overlay, Monochrome and more.
GPS geo-tagging: GP-1 GPS unit (optional) provides automatic real-time geo-tagging.

Joan

Wow, movies on a DSLR, and that lovely LCD from the D300. Sure sounds fab, I'll look forward to the reviews.

Chris C

Big screen, 12.3Mp, Commander flash, light and small[ish] body, all for [UK price] £700 inc. VAT.

Extraordinary!

Now where's that rangefinder................... ?

............ Chris

LJL

While the movies thing is a first differentiating step for DSLRs, it is not quite up to snuf on what it could be. It is only 720p, which is not bad, but that is sort of minimum for HD. It is 24fps rather than 30fps which would be a much smoother standard. It does not have auto WB, nor AF or AF tracking, both things that are sort of critical for capturing things that move and into differing light also. Its audio is only mono, with no stereo or plugs. None of these are deal killers for most, but they are shortcomings that folks used to shooting movies would miss for sure. On the big plus side, being able to use a wide variety of lenses that would normally be beyond reach for most movie cameras is nice. Being able to shoot with ultrawide angle lenses, or obtain very shallow DOF with nice optics for a movie could provide some real creative platform for aspiring movie makers that want to experiment with things. And the fact the sensor is huge compared to most DV cameras only underscores how good some of the clips could be from folks.

If you watch the movie clip posted on the site, you will get a pretty good idea of how good the video capture is, as well as how lackluster the audio is. Nice to see this first step, but Nikon could have added a bit more to get something that lesser digicams now provide routinely. The tracking AF will be a bit more challenging, as most DSLR lenses were not designed for that kind of use, though all the pieces are in place to accommodate it.

On balance, nice to see this innovation, and hope future deployment fixes some of the video shortcomings.

LJ

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Wait for the N900? :)
At this rate, it should show up in about six weeks.
-bob

Last edited:

sizifo

The video will probably have superb quality, up to professional standards, but if you can't record sound to this quality, then it's more or less useless for serious film work. Or can you attach a microphone?

If not, it's a bit of a gimmick. Not a bad gimmick. If it can be done, why not do it?

Joan

I've never used the video mode on any of my cameras, but it does seem to have some cool possibilities depending on which lens(es) one might choose.

More importantly, if the IQ is equal to the D300 in a much smaller package, I think I could learn to love this thing. :D I wonder if they'll ever be able to stuff a FF sensor into the D80/90 size cameras ...

O

Oxide Blu

What LJ hit on ... "D-Movie Mode—Cinematic 24fps HD" causes a little concern. I can see 25fps (Asia) and 30fps (US), but "cinematic 24fps" suggests some weird-assed Nikon-only software interface is probably to sit between your N90 movie and your TV/computer display. I hope I'm wrong, hoping this isn't another Nikon NEF type of proprietary format for movies.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well lots of folks do like to shoot video clips, so there is a market but I agree it will need sound.

LJL

What LJ hit on ... "D-Movie Mode—Cinematic 24fps HD" causes a little concern. I can see 25fps (Asia) and 30fps (US), but "cinematic 24fps" suggests some weird-assed Nikon-only software interface is probably to sit between your N90 movie and your TV/computer display. I hope I'm wrong, hoping this isn't another Nikon NEF type of proprietary format for movies.
The 24 fps is actually a "standard" for the movie industry, hence the preface "Cinematic". Many, if not most theater movies are shot and projected at 24 fps, but 30 fps (actually 29.97 fps) has been the "standard" in the US at least for most video and digital video recording and play devices. The 24 fps will have more of a movie film look, but there is a difference in appearance between it and 30 fps, the latter being more smooth in frame to frame appearance.

So, it is not something special to Nikon, and should not be a problem for most folks. The 30 fps would have been preferred, but that starts to require a bit more throughput and storage capacity.

LJ

LJL

The video will probably have superb quality, up to professional standards, but if you can't record sound to this quality, then it's more or less useless for serious film work. Or can you attach a microphone?

If not, it's a bit of a gimmick. Not a bad gimmick. If it can be done, why not do it?
The video does look good, and at "cinematic" quality with the slower frame rate. Most folks will not complain about that. The sound is a different issue. Unless one is going to take along a separate digital stereo recorder with microphones, and then sync the audio with video in post, not much else one can do. (That starts to become more of a production than just nice and easy capture.) From the specs, there are no plugs or abilities to add stereo to the D90 capture in the camera. The mono mic and recording is not terrible, but it definitely appears to be a shortcoming compared to how good the images look in the movie capture. Sort of like looking at the world through a big, clean picture window, but hearing that world through the device at the ticket window at the theater. (Maybe not the most accurate analogy, but you get the point.) This should not keep enterprising movie makers from doing their own audio tracks as production work, but for most folks just wanting to capture a clip, it is going to sound flat for sure.

Considering they even put HDMI output jacks on to port things to a big screen and HD set-up in something like a home theater, the sound is going to be boring in mono, especially for folks used to surround or good stereo. In my opinion, this may detract from how good the video capture looks. This is an entry level DSLR that is incorporating the newer tech, so that is still good. Stereo would have required placing another mic on the camera, or at least a jack for accessory mic, plus using more storage capacity for the stereo signal in the recording. Cutting corners in little places, but on things that video folks will notice quickly.

LJ

Terry

How far is the microphone supposed to reach to pick up the sound?I assume a lot of people using this will be the same people with an 18-200mm lens on the camera and for a good chunk of that zoom range won't you be out of range to pick up decent sound? Also, when I think of iMovie type program don't people tend to music anyway?

LJL

Terry,
I am not a video/audio buff, so cannot answer your questions with anything other than limited background knowledge and thoughts. I agree that distance is going to be the first issue, but nothing folks are not now wrestling with on HD video cameras. If you are zooming and what to capture the sounds of the distant subject, you need a directional mic and proper recording gear.

This is why I see the D90's video as nothing more than a "nice to have", but not for serious use. This is really too bad, as the video quality will be quite good. And, as you suggest, if folks just dump in music for an audio track, that will be fine. However, many folks shoot video clips to capture both the sight and sounds of the moment, like comments, laughter, conversations, etc. That starts to get more into having the need for better audio/video gear to do movie making. The D90 capture to me will be really nice for higher resolution and creative touch use, where you add whatever audio you want, as the captured audio ain't gonna wow folks ;-)

Not trying to trash a device and features that are not even on the market yet. Just putting some perspective into things to help temper expectations a bit. If you buy a D90 and expect to shoot stunning movies, you will probably be disappointed. If you buy a D90 and want to use one aspect of its creative capabilities for capturing nice video clips with long lenses, shallow DOF, etc., and then using your own audio and comp, you may be very happy with those results. This D90 is not a video camera first.....that is the add-on to help differentiate it a bit more, I think.

LJ

sizifo

This D90 is not a video camera first.....that is the add-on to help differentiate it a bit more, I think.

LJ
I think that I was trying to say precisely the same thing as you. Gimmick was not the best word to use. Just meant that, optically, it should be of professional quality. But filmmakers want quality sound integrated, or at least ports for mics. I guess you can always record sound separately, and then patch it later.

For casual use, imovie stuff, it should be great.

R

rexyinc

I think that I was trying to say precisely the same thing as you. Gimmick was not the best word to use. Just meant that, optically, it should be of professional quality. But filmmakers want quality sound integrated, or at least ports for mics. I guess you can always record sound separately, and then patch it later.

For casual use, imovie stuff, it should be great.

err actually no, film makers always use separate sound recording rigs- those mics on booms certainly do not go into the video cameras mic inputs lol..

Guess we are going to see a ton of non-facts from non-film makers on the boards as most here are still shooters, not film makers.

Every production I've ever been on, from small indy to commercial tv film crews - no one has ever tried to get the video to capture the audio also. it just doesn't happen. Even the baby crews of two are use=ing minidiscs with remote mics on the shirts for commentary and fluffy mics on booms that the grip boys hold over their heads on the larger crews..

I can see a lot of ipod with ext/wireless high quality stereo mics being sold to D90 users in the very near future, me included.

Autofocus is a non-issue to film/indy guys also, very few would use it apart from wedding shooters I guess.. and 5min clips arn't a issue either to anyone. ie: watch a movie, any movie, how often do you see the camera just sit there with the same POV for more then a few seconds? it just doesn't happen.

Interesting times indeed.. the future of Dslr's just got amp'd - and expect a ton of stock site's adding HD video clips to their photo stock libraries for sale.

Indy guys are going to see this as a cheap RED rig, with the DOF, high iso and nikon glass, 24f 720p is perfect, they are going to have a ball with it.

Tony.

sizifo

err actually no, film makers always use separate sound recording rigs- those mics on booms certainly do not go into the video cameras mic inputs lol..

Guess we are going to see a ton of non-facts from non-film makers on the boards as most here are still shooters, not film makers.

Every production I've ever been on, from small indy to commercial tv film crews - no one has ever tried to get the video to capture the audio also. it just doesn't happen. Even the baby crews of two are use=ing minidiscs with remote mics on the shirts for commentary and fluffy mics on booms that the grip boys hold over their heads on the larger crews..

I can see a lot of ipod with ext/wireless high quality stereo mics being sold to D90 users in the very near future, me included.

Autofocus is a non-issue to film/indy guys also, very few would use it apart from wedding shooters I guess.. and 5min clips arn't a issue either to anyone. ie: watch a movie, any movie, how often do you see the camera just sit there with the same POV for more then a few seconds? it just doesn't happen.

Interesting times indeed.. the future of Dslr's just got amp'd - and expect a ton of stock site's adding HD video clips to their photo stock libraries for sale.

Indy guys are going to see this as a cheap RED rig, with the DOF, high iso and nikon glass, 24f 720p is perfect, they are going to have a ball with it.

Tony.

Ah. OK. Obviously I don't know much about filmmaking, and I did think mics were connected to the camera :angel:. I was just thinking, this is almost useful for a serious filmmaking, but has flaws that are not acceptable to filmmakers. Guess not. Excellent.