The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D90 is here

Terry

Joan,
I looked at these earlier today. While I obviously don't have anything to directly compare, the ISO 3200's seem better than what I was getting from the D300. Others will need to chime in with their opinion. The D90 looks like it could be a very compelling camera.

LJL

rexyinc,
Really did not think anybody was considering a D90 for a HD movie camera, but it could produce some nice clips. The discussion about the audio was more about being able to shoot something casually and easily and have a decent audio track, preferably in stereo, so as NOT to create the production scenario you describe. For example, being able to shoot a short clip of a conversation between folks at a party or cafe table. Not wiring them up and then matching sound to video afterword, as filmmakers would/should be doing. Smaller high end digicams, like the Canon S5 IS have built-in stereo mics, and/or a port to drop the audio right into the video track as it is recorded. This is not about making a film, but more about convenience at capture to have nice video clips with good sound. Yes, a true video camera and synced sound with mics for speakers, etc., nicely edited would be the filmmaker's tools and preferences. This does not look to be the primary purpose of the D90. Instead, it is capable of capturing nice HD clips, which can be dropped into a film and have audio tracks synced with them in production. But for somebody just wanting to get some clips of their kids/family doing stuff without all the other gear for filmmaking, the D90 is a couple steps in that direction....good video, pedestrian audio. I think that is all that was trying to be conveyed here.

LJ

Terry

LJ,
As I have been reading on some other forums what has some people intrigued beyond the casual clips is the sensor size and the control over the DOF. I know virtually nothing about video but from what I gather the ability to get the equivalent DOF like the D90 it is big bucks on video cameras and lenses. But, since I really don't have a base knowledge I don't have good bullsh*t radar about what I'm reading.

sizifo

I think we were all taking past each other a bit. I was thinking of semi-professional possibilities, and wasn't so concerned about causal clips. Even if it's not designed for semi-pro work, if it does this job, it is some kind of mini-revolution. Also because it's, visually, a very different tool to standard semi-pro cameras.

However, I don't know a lot about this, and am trying my best not to BS too much.

Does anybody know if these files are suited for easy editing?

Last edited:

LJL

LJ,
As I have been reading on some other forums what has some people intrigued beyond the casual clips is the sensor size and the control over the DOF. I know virtually nothing about video but from what I gather the ability to get the equivalent DOF like the D90 it is big bucks on video cameras and lenses. But, since I really don't have a base knowledge I don't have good bullsh*t radar about what I'm reading.
Terry,
I think that is pretty much the point.....here is a camera (D90) with a pretty decent sensor that is way bigger than most DV cameras and all digicams, AND it can mount some seriously nice glass to the front of it for effects that are near impossible to get with anything except higher end pro video cameras. For $1k, that is pretty impressive for sure. The HD video capture from it is impressive. I could see using this with something like a 85/1.4 to do some really nice creative shooting. In that case, one would want to "pull focus" manually anyway. The DOF would be the kind of stuff you only see in movies from those really expensive pro rigs. That is very cool for sure.

The entire audio thing is a separate issue. I just find those shortcomings a bit, well, short. Not a deal breaker for some at all, and for those that would want to use the video part only and do their own audio, that makes it moot. So, for a small DSLR, it has this video feature capability that is pretty impressive, and has a variety of use options that can push it up the scale. It is not designed as movie camera, but the features let it play there to a much more sophisticated degree than most other things.

My comments were more about having a camera like this and expecting to be able to let it do a lot of double-duty, like the Canon S5 IS does for many folks. Takes respectable digicam stills, and pretty decent video with good audio also. The D90 is capable of capturing far better video that can be used much more creatively. Its audio is boring and mono. Most folks might not see that as a bad trade-off. Those wanting to shoot nice, easy, simple home movie type stuff may not enjoy it as much even though the video part can blow away most other stuff out there right now. (Picture doing kids piano recital for example.....you could get really nice close-ups and stuff with lots of feeling, but unless you ran a separate audio, it would sound rather unimpressive, to say the least. That is all I was trying to discuss.

LJ

Joan

Joan,
I looked at these earlier today. While I obviously don't have anything to directly compare, the ISO 3200's seem better than what I was getting from the D300. Others will need to chime in with their opinion. The D90 looks like it could be a very compelling camera.
Good to hear, Terry, thanks. Will keep my eyes open for more samples and hope a full review will be happening soon. This is definitely going to be on my short list, all depends on what happens with m4/3 in the next few months, if anything.

R

rexyinc

Re: canon didn't see it coming

Just spoke to one of the engineers ( his a mate and client of mine ) of the upcoming 3d & 7d's ( the 5d replacements ) he said they will look into adding HD video to the next generation.. ie: way too late now to add a major feature like this to the units :( pitty as I had a whole list of 'must haves' I wanted added to the video feature..

opps - wrong forum - sorry guys.. i'll repost in the canon one. - Tony

Last edited:
O

Oxide Blu

Terry,
I think that is pretty much the point.....here is a camera (D90) with a pretty decent sensor that is way bigger than most DV cameras and all digicams, AND it can mount some seriously nice glass to the front of it for effects that are near impossible to get with anything except higher end pro video cameras. For $1k, that is pretty impressive for sure. The HD video capture from it is impressive. I could see using this with something like a 85/1.4 to do some really nice creative shooting. In that case, one would want to "pull focus" manually anyway. The DOF would be the kind of stuff you only see in movies from those really expensive pro rigs. That is very cool for sure.
Yeah, but you can't watch it out of the camera. Well, you can but it will look like crap.

Back to that 24fps "cinema" thing. Why 24fps for a DSLR doing video? Nikon is not into cheezy gimmicky stuff. And no one...no one in a $1k camera frame of mind, has a need for 24fps. You cannot watch it on your computer/display without converting to 30fps. That means for every 3 frames the screen wants to displayed, there is only 2 frames worth of data available from the Nikon. Ok, so there is magic in a box (software) that will fake 30fps from 24fps worth of data (3:2 pull-down), some better than others, but why? Why is Nikon there at 24fps?

There is no way Nikon is going to invest in 24fps video just for a $1k camera. Nikon does not work that way. Could there be more to this video thing than Nikon is letting out right now?

Humm...wasn't there something kicking around about an ad for a big Nikon event planned at the next (2009) WPPI? It said Nikon would debut something that was supposed to blow the socks off of wedding photogs? What kinds of imaging do brides buy? Do you need sound for wedding videos? And where does 24fps fit into a high-end video editing workflow?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
There is no way Nikon is going to invest in 24fps video just for a $1k camera. Nikon does not work that way. Could there be more to this video thing than Nikon is letting out right now?
Of course there is. As opposed to Sony and Canon, Nikon has no market share to defend in the pro video market. My guess is that Nikon's next top camera doesn't just have 24MP, but 24MP full frame video as well, more than good enough for any news coverage and for most other purposes as well. If that isn't any PJ's dream, I don't know what is.

sizifo

Of course there is. As opposed to Sony and Canon, Nikon has no market share to defend in the pro video market. My guess is that Nikon's next top camera doesn't just have 24MP, but 24MP full frame video as well, more than good enough for any news coverage and for most other purposes as well. If that isn't any PJ's dream, I don't know what is.
Just out of interest, 1280x720 isn't enough for news coverage?

Anyway, I do have the impression this is the first glimpse of revolution. In 10 years sports photographers will fondly remember the times when they were clicking away.

O

Oxide Blu

Anyway, I do have the impression this is the first glimpse of revolution.

I'm not so sure it is a revolution as much as it is a done deal. I'm thinking Nikon has this DSLR+video thing mapped out (planned) well into the next decade.

That 24fps thing just ain't right. And Nikon knows it, so there is some reason they went with 24fps video. Oh to be the fly on the wall when the minds are meeting ...

sizifo

I'm not so sure it is a revolution as much as it is a done deal. I'm thinking Nikon has this DSLR+video thing mapped out (planned) well into the next decade.

That 24fps thing just ain't right. And Nikon knows it, so there is some reason they went with 24fps video. Oh to be the fly on the wall when the minds are meeting ...
Revolution and done deal don't exclude each other, and I'm sure they didn't just stumble on this. What's surprising is they seem to be in front of Canon & Sony.

Don't understand the significance of 24fps.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Just out of interest, 1280x720 isn't enough for news coverage?
You're right of course. Sometimes my fingers are faster than my brain :D

Still, for professional applications, the D90 body isn't ideal. The ability to take 24MP stills and 1280x720 video by the flip of a switch opens up some new possibilities though, particularly for media who publish in print as well as electronically.

These are fascinating times :thumbup:

R

rexyinc

yes very smart thinking and your right on the mark..

You're right of course. Sometimes my fingers are faster than my brain :D

Still, for professional applications, the D90 body isn't ideal. The ability to take 24MP stills and 1280x720 video by the flip of a switch opens up some new possibilities though, particularly for media who publish in print as well as electronically.

These are fascinating times :thumbup:

R

rexyinc

mmm just wondering, what speed does flash video top out at ? anyone have a copy of flash handy?

'Telecine removal
Telecine removal maintains video quality by removing the extra frames that are added (3:2 pull down) when film (24 frames per second) is transferred to video (30 frames per second).'

http://www.sorensonmedia.com/pages/?pageID=3

now to research what a telecine is lol.. been a long while since i've done video in flash.. 2005 to now in internet years is like i'm 30yrs out of date now right?

am reading http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/film_digital_video_cinema_tools.html
and http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/qt_h-264_movies_fcp.html now. this kenstone site is going to come in very useful for getting up to speed again with this video stuff!:D

Last edited: