The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D7000 won't release out of focus in AF-S

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I've tried every setting in the menus I can think of as relevant, but nothing I do gets my D7000 to shoot an out of focus image in AF-S. I have to flip the AF mode switch to M. I've set the AE-L/AF-L button to AF-ON, and both AF-S and AF-C 'a' config settings are set to release priority. 3D AF-A and a 50/1.4G lens.

Ideas? Firmware bug? It has 1.02.

AF-C shoots fine OOF. But when AF-A switches to AF-S it stops and I end up with a depressed shutter and no click.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Sounds to me like you have made the correct setting, Jan, by choosing Release priority for AF-S (single shot).
That ought to do the trick for your intentions.
Maybe try to repeat that particular setting, back and forth one more time ?

And again by choosing Release priority for AF-C (continuous) as well, though this is not relevant for your present problem and question.
I just assume you have checked that you actually chose ‘release priority’ for both single and continuous, like you said.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
maybe assign AE-L/AF-L Button to something else than “AF-ON”

Maybe it has to do with your f5 setting: Assign AE-L/AF-L Button to “AF-ON”.
So maybe it will solve your problem right now to change that setting to something else, so that the shutter-release button will again try to focus when pressed half way down.

I admit it ought not make a difference, but maybe worth a try as a temporary solution.
Then later on you can ask the store whether their demo camera acts the same way or if it is your camera that has an error and therefore needs to be replaced.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Resetting all your user settings ...

You could also try to start all over again by Resetting all your user settings, though this way you will lose all your user settings.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
or reset either the Shooting Menu or the Custom Settings separately

Or you could try to reset either the Shooting Menu or the Custom Settings separately, and see if it makes a difference.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
battery out, replace it + reinstall the firmware ... ?

Or you could take out the battery for some time, replace it and then download and reinstall the firmware ?

Good luck, Jan, and please let us know what you find out and how it turns out.
Rather mystifying.

~Steen

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
If I set it to AF-S it works as expected, ignoring whether it's in focus. It's only when in AF-A and it decides on AF-S mode that this happens. Looks like a firmware bug to me... and Nikon will fix it I'm sure.