The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fill flash D700/300

Terry

I don't use flash much at all but have had a few instances this week to want to use the pop up one for fill.

Is there an easy way to do this?

I simply popped up the flash and used between -2.3 and -3.0 on flash compensation and then played with my aperture to get a good exposure. My non flash exposure was ISO 200 wide open f2.8 at about 48mm on the 24-70 and 1/1600. With the flash I was way over exposed because the synch speed was 1/250 and there was still a lot of light even with a -3.0 on the flash

My technique was was mostly trial and error and I would have had to stop down a lot to to get the right exposure so a shallow DOF then wasn't really an option.

Thoughts/help on proper technique?

Jack and Guy - yes from the workshop lesson in San Juan a reflector would have actually been perfect.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well you want the fill flash about a stop or more under the sun . So say you are in bright light . Sun is F16 at 1/250 and say that is the back light . So you want the flash to output F8, F11 and shoot at F11 . Let the sun go to f16

So you have to get that on board flash to get to those levels . It most likely won't get there . Need more power really but the on boards work great in shade or cloud weather to give some sparkle. In that case in shade match f stop on camera to output on flash F8 all around say. Now you have to work that flash menu item to do the right thing and I forget the controls on the Nikon but you can do it with setting it up correctly. I just can't remember those controls.

Terry

Well you want the fill flash about a stop or more under the sun . So say you are in bright light . Sun is F16 at 1/250 and say that is the back light . So you want the flash to output F8, F11 and shoot at F11 . Let the sun go to f16

So you have to get that on board flash to get to those levels . It most likely won't get there . Need more power really but the on boards work great in shade or cloud weather to give some sparkle. In that case in shade match f stop on camera to output on flash F8 all around say. Now you have to work that flash menu item to do the right thing and I forget the controls on the Nikon but you can do it with setting it up correctly. I just can't remember those controls.
Well I could get there because I had too much power and was way overexposed. I was metered at 1/1600 at f2.8 so, without making any exposure adjustment I blew out the exposure even with a -3EV on flash comp. If I went to around 1/250 at f9 I would have been close to the same exposure. But how with the onboard flash do I know how much flash it will give or how much flash compensation to use? Yes, I will invest in a real flash but I am sure I will still have other situations where the onboard flash would be useful.

Maybe I'm being dense but it just isn't clear once I pop it up how I know how much flash I'm going to get.

Terry

Guy and I talked through it so, I am OK. Yes, I need to take the lighting workshop!!!! Unfortunately I need to take an exam that week.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Likely excuse. LOL

I wish more folks would take this workshop. This one is packed with stuff like this

Chris C

...Is there an easy way to do this?.....Thoughts/help on proper technique?......
Terry,

If I had to recommend Nikon for only one thing; it would be for it's handling of flash.

I don't have the cameras you have, but I'd recommend you get/borrow a Nikon SB600/800/or 900 flash, place your flash off-camera, set your 'pop-up' to Commander mode, set your SB for 'Commander flash', light meter manually, control your flash output manually [really really easy, just keep the 'pop-up' release button pressed-in and see the + or - flash reading in the viewfinder; spin the thumbwheel to a chosen and appropriate minus flash setting setting]. With the SB 'off-camera' fire and play and be stunned at how brilliantly they got this right.

Traditionally, Nikon 's explanations of their flash was written in gibberish and translated badly so as to keep it a secret; but Ken Rockwell does a good job of explaining it. It's dead easy to demonstrate, but coming to flash for the first time can be a bit of a puzzle, and writing about it only makes it seem complicated.

The real horror is you might be forced into making sense of the manuals. We all hate that.

Good luck.

............. Chris

Terry

Thanks Chris,
I am going to get a flash. There is a lot of allure to the SB900 and it will take me a long time to grow into all the features it has. Apparently it is also a bit easier to understand how to use it vs. the older models. Only downside is the size. So, I'm debating if I am better off getting an SB600 or SB800 to start. I signed up for a one day flash clash at ICP in NY geared just at working with Nikon and Canon flash systems. I'll have a look at Ken and I know Thom Hogan also has a guide to Nikon's CLS.

I was actually on the beach this weekend and it was enough of a struggle making sure a 4 and 6 year old weren't kicking sand on the camera let alone an off camera flash. :ROTFL:

Chris C

Thanks Chris...SB900.. Apparently is...easier to understand....debating an SB600 or SB800 to start....
Terry,

Your welcome; I'd be surprised if you would really need more than an SB600 for fill-in, it does come with the most appalling instructions but thankfully Mr. Rockwell has done us a service by explaining it in Ken English:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/sb600.htm

[Hope this is the right link]. Put the flash on a cheap stand, use a 'shoot-through' umbrella; be amazed, then go and get another flash because it's such easy fun.

................. Chris

jonoslack

Thanks Chris,
I am going to get a flash. There is a lot of allure to the SB900 and it will take me a long time to grow into all the features it has. Apparently it is also a bit easier to understand how to use it vs. the older models. Only downside is the size. So, I'm debating if I am better off getting an SB600 or SB800 to start. I signed up for a one day flash clash at ICP in NY geared just at working with Nikon and Canon flash systems. I'll have a look at Ken and I know Thom Hogan also has a guide to Nikon's CLS.

I was actually on the beach this weekend and it was enough of a struggle making sure a 4 and 6 year old weren't kicking sand on the camera let alone an off camera flash. :ROTFL:
Hi Terry
I use the SB800 when I MUST use flash. I set it on FPBL (whatever - fill flash - I think it's the default) and just take pictures - it works really well and never gets the exposure wrong . . . . basically I hate flash, but if I'm going to use it, it'd better work!

Chris C

Terry,

Should have thought of this when I posted earlier. You can do a lot worse than learn tips from the sport photographer Dave Black. Here, he quickly demonstrates a 'fill' lighting portrait; he uses Nikon speedlights now - though he comes from having lit whole auditoriums with studio lights for earlier sports shoots:

http://www.daveblackphotography.com/workshop/0407.htm

More tips can be gleaned from other 'Workshops' :

http://www.daveblackphotography.com/workshop/index.htm

................ Chris