The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A Wedding in Ronda

jonoslack

Hi There
Well, I'm back! Thanks for all the interesting remarks about lenses in the other thread, in the end, what I did take was:

D700 with 14-24, 28-105, 70-300 and 58 f1.4 - (which worked out pretty well). Interestingly, the 58 f1.4 got used very little, the 70-300 was important for the wedding, and the other two were used a lot for the other shooting.

M8 with 15CV, ZM 25, ZM 50 sonnar and 75 'cron (which got less use)

I've put the wedding photos in two galleries, and then some snaps from around and about in a third

If you're interested, here's the link.

A Wedding In Ronda

Terry

Jono,
Lots of good stuff. Obviously not knowing the people at the wedding the in and around Ronda pictures were my favorites. A few great Emma shots again including the fan. In terms of the wedding, even though I love B&W in this case the light and colors were so nice in color that I prefer that series.

Robert Campbell

Nice set, Jono.
There seems to be an Ian Paisley look-alike present - surely not? :)

BTW, I can't keep up with your changing avatar; once I thought you were trying to grind us all down...are you a time lord? :)

jonoslack

Jono,
Lots of good stuff. Obviously not knowing the people at the wedding the in and around Ronda pictures were my favorites. A few great Emma shots again including the fan. In terms of the wedding, even though I love B&W in this case the light and colors were so nice in color that I prefer that series.
Hi Terry
It was interesting light, but of course, as I wasn't the 'official' photographer I didn't really have the clout. Emma reckons it was the best meal she EVER had:

Tapas included:
scallop, raw egg, caviar
black risotto and smoked salmon
strawberry gaspachio and grilled praws.

starter was hot foie gras and sushimi tuna

. . . . and it went on . . . fabulous!

Of course, the pictures are really for the family, but after bellyaching about which lenses to take I thought it was reasonable to post a link.

jonoslack

Hi Bertie

Nice set, Jono.
There seems to be an Ian Paisley look-alike present - surely not? :)
I'd not thought of Ian Paisley . . . I thought that:

the guy on the right (the groom's father) looked more like someone from an Ernest Hemingway novel, whereas the bride's father:

looked more like he came from a Graham Green novel.
BTW, I can't keep up with your changing avatar; once I thought you were trying to grind us all down...are you a time lord? :)
Yes - you got it, definitely. I think 2 weeks is long enough for a joke, even one as spectacular as the strawberry moose. If you don't behave yourself you'll get the naked shot with the goat :)

ecliffordsmith

Hi Jono,

Some very nice shots, I am sure they will be very happy with those. There was a lot of camera equipment present it seems from the pictures!

The food sounds very very good!

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Hye Jono - looked at your Ronda gallery, great shots that really took me back a year and a half, from my family trip there, though not a family wedding..Ronda was one of the highlights of that trip to Costa Del Sol area of Spain. My teen daughters liked it also, except the car trip there from Mijas Costa. For me it was a ball both ways, as I like spirited mountain driving....but then I always like driving on the continent..haha. Thanks again for some fond memories....here are a couple of mine....Don

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Jono,
It was interesting to look at some of the same photos in color and b&w. I'm with Terry, I prefer the color in the wedding shots.

I always have the dilemma of choosing between the M8 and the D700 when I have to attend a function as a guest. Could you comment on which you used more and which you would take if you could only take one? They are so different to me. I enjoy using the M8 so much more, but that D700 sure delivers.

You certainly came home with some stunning work in this series. Thanks for posting it.

jonoslack

Hi Jono,

Some very nice shots, I am sure they will be very happy with those. There was a lot of camera equipment present it seems from the pictures!

The food sounds very very good!
HI There
The food was, indeed, excellent. Great do all around.
There were plenty of photographers, but no official ones, which is always a bit worrying.

still, I guess they've got enough shots to remember the day.

jonoslack

Hye Jono - looked at your Ronda gallery, great shots that really took me back a year and a half, from my family trip there, though not a family wedding..Ronda was one of the highlights of that trip to Costa Del Sol area of Spain. My teen daughters liked it also, except the car trip there from Mijas Costa. For me it was a ball both ways, as I like spirited mountain driving....but then I always like driving on the continent..haha. Thanks again for some fond memories....here are a couple of mine....Don
Hi Don
It's a nice place - we came at it from the Jerez side, and never went near the Costa del Sol - quite agree about the driving, although it would have been more fun in my Boxster than the rather pedestrian Seat Ibiza we had.

jonoslack

Hi Cindy
Jono,
It was interesting to look at some of the same photos in color and b&w. I'm with Terry, I prefer the color in the wedding shots.
I'm not sure - perhaps it would be worth revisiting the black and white shots with a touch of grain - I like some of them better, but for the ceremony itself the light was so nice.
I always have the dilemma of choosing between the M8 and the D700 when I have to attend a function as a guest. Could you comment on which you used more and which you would take if you could only take one? They are so different to me. I enjoy using the M8 so much more, but that D700 sure delivers.
Hard isn't it! - truth is, although I was a guest, there wasn't an official photographer, and as I had been asked to contribute, and as the groom is a much liked and valued customer . . . .. as Gareth put it "you just got the job".

If there had been a professional photographer I probably would have used the M8 more (I used it very little) and flash not at all (which I used on the D700 quite a lot).

You certainly came home with some stunning work in this series. Thanks for posting it.
Thank you - I'm flattered, they seem better in retrospect than they did when I first got them on the computer!

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Hi Don
It's a nice place - we came at it from the Jerez side, and never went near the Costa del Sol - quite agree about the driving, although it would have been more fun in my Boxster than the rather pedestrian Seat Ibiza we had.
Funny but had a boxster for a couple of years and would totally agree, for those roads, but my daughters would not have been able to go...haha, or would have been a tight fit with each one in a trunk. Seat's must be the common rental car in Spain, for good reason, we had a diesel which drove pretty good I thought for what it was, and peppy with the diesel, i.e. pretty good torque with a stick anyway. I think we may have had a smaller model then the Ibiza, but don't recall exactly, just a small 4 door hatch.

Ronda and the entire area was just beautiful, and would love to return on day. We have a friend in Sevilla, that we could not catch up with last time, so maybe a good reason to return....

I always love b&w/sepia wedding photos, but just my personal taste...ain't it great with digital, both mono and color are so easy....btw, both shots above were with my M8 I had at the time....

bbodine9

Very nice Jono as your work is always top notch. Just curious why you chose not to use the E-3 and some Oly glass instead?

jonoslack

Very nice Jono as your work is always top notch. Just curious why you chose not to use the E-3 and some Oly glass instead?
Hi There
Well, as the wedding started at 7pm, and I wasn't sure either about the lighting, or how long it was going to go on, I thought I was safer with the Nikon, in the end lots of it was with fill flash, so I suppose I could have used either. I really like the way you can limit the shutter speed on auto-iso with the Nikon (and go up to 6400 ISO!).

Basically, if you're going to 'get the shot' and you aren't sure about the lighting, the D700 is a safer bet.

On the other hand, we're off to Crete tomorrow for our annual holiday, and I'll be taking the E3 and lenses for that trip.
:)