The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which Nikkor Prime lens for Sony NEX 5N?

m_driscoll

Nikon Forum:
I just ordered a Nikon lens to Sony Nex E adapter for use with my 5N. Now, I want to get a unique Nikon prime lens. Any reccomendations?

I figure with this combination, I can come back to the Nikon forum (which I miss :cry:)?

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Godfrey

Well, what kind of prime lens do you want? Wide, normal, tele ... fast, macro, medical ... ??

I just ordered a Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4 ED-IF AI-S for use on my Ricoh GXR-M body. That's a nice, light, reasonably fast 300mm EFL lens with its own tripod mount and 1:1 magnification capable with internal focusing. And superb image quality. Should be fun to work with!

m_driscoll

Godfrey:
Thanks for commenting. I don't know what kind of Nikon lens I want. Probably something that I wouldn't have bought when I had a D3S/D700/D7000; which were the newest nano coated zooms and fast primes. Also, something that has a unique 'signature' and 'draws' differently then the Leica M, Sony A, & E lenses that I have. That doesn't narrow it down; does it? :D

When the adapter gets here, I'll go down to the used lens counter at Glazers and mount and shoot, mount and shoot...

Cheers, Matt

Matt....58mm Noct 1.2 or 28 1.4 af D of course!;)
Matt: Those, recommended by Steve for example :D or maybe the 35mm/f1.4 AIS!? But whatever you mount and shoot - main thing you come back to the Nikon thread! :)

BTW: I consider buying a Nex 5n as well (mainly as a backup for my Nikon(s), or more?) and want to give it a shot with my fast 24, 35, 50 and 85mm G lenses via Novoflex adapter - bit imbalanced I suppose , but we'll see :confused: ...

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Which Nikkor Prime lens for Sony NEX 5N - or D800 .-)

my vote goes to Nikkor 2.5/105 :lecture:

for the way it walks
and the way it talks

an excellent lens for portraits and the like

if you have no good reason for an Effective Focal Length of ~150mm, find an excuse :)

click for natural size of this boring test shot

Nikon D300 • AI-S Nikkor 2.5/105mm • 1/40 sec. at f/2.5 ISO 200 • Capture NX

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Which Nikkor Prime lens for Sony NEX 5N - or why not D800 .-)

I forgot to specify that I’m talking about the AI-S Nikkor 2.5/105mm (manual focus).

Excellent build quality with the usual smooth AI-S focus ring and distinct clicks on the aperture ring.
And a very nice and convenient built-in hood !
But first of all I think the image rendering has such a beautiful character.

As far as I recall both Jorgen and Jorge (ryc) have the faster AI-S 1.8/105, which I have never owned myself.
So I don't really know how the two versions compare.
Maybe ask them about the fast one too (in fact I believe Jorge has one up for sale at the moment).

©

click for natural size

© • Nikon D300 • captured with AF-S Nikkor 1.4/50mm G • Capture NX

m_driscoll

Godfrey: Looking forward to seeing your photos with the Micro-Nikkor 200mm. Figure you could post them here and in the Sony Forum. :D

Steve: Nikkor AIS's work moved the 58mm f/1.2 right up to the top of the list (until I checked pricing!). As you might have noticed, I had the 28mm AFD, and it was one of my favorite Nikkor lenses. You've also read correctly my preference for fast glass. ;)

Hermann: The 35mm f/1.4 AIS is on my short list. The Nex 5N would be a nice 'backup'. In my case for the Leica M9-P and Sony SLT-A77. I've been shooting with Leica M, Sony E, and Sony A Zeiss lenses with the 5N. I have Novoflex and Metabones adapters for Leica M, a Sony LA-EA2 for Sony A, and a Novoflex (on order) for the Nikkor. :)

Steen: Thanks. I've never seen one of these lenses. There's a 'new' one for sale on EBAy right now for $450. It's unused/unwrapped and been in storage for 20+ years...I just bought it. Might need CLA? :toocool:

Well, so far, I have a 50mm F/1.2 and a 105mm f/2.5. Next: a 24mm f/2.0, a 28mm f/2, and a 35mm f/1.4. All together, with the NEX-5N, it won't add up to the cost of a Leica Summicron! I'll be back. :D

PS: I, also, have a few thousand more Grizzly shots to process. :ROTFL:

Cheers, Matt

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Congrats with the 105/2.5. It's similar to the in everything except weight, size and being one stop slower. I'm planning on having both, since the 1.8 is a bit on the heavy side for travel.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

whoa, Matt, a new old 105 f/2.8
not sure we can allow actual use of such a well-preserved gem :lecture:
still, congrats on a wise investment :thumbup:

p.s.
maybe useful to save a screen dump of the original eBay New Item ad
just in case you want to sell the lens again at a later stage
though I cannot imagine you will ever want to do that

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Which Nikkor Prime lens for Sony NEX 5N - or why not D800 .-)

btw., need to mention that in my (this time humble) opinion the f/2.8 version of AI-S 28mm is just as good as the one aperture stop faster f/2.0 version
I have had both at the same time, sold off the f/2.0 and kept the f/2.8 (maybe only applicable for the specific copies I have owned, I don’t know)

the 28mm f/2.8 - here seen on my F3 (which isn't all that big in itself)

click for natural size

© • captured with Nikon D300 • plus AI-S Nikkor 2.5/105mm • 1/60 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 400 • Capture NX

Godfrey

Godfrey: Looking forward to seeing your photos with the Micro-Nikkor 200mm. Figure you could post them here and in the Sony Forum. ...
Since you ask, the Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4 IF arrived yesterday. It is in near new condition ... there's not a mark on it! ... and the aperture and focus controls are silky smooth and wonderful. It's a long, slender lens, not overly heavy, with a robust tripod mounting foot. It balances well in the hand, but obviously such a long focal length works best when mounted on a sturdy tripod, particularly at macro focusing distances (close focus 1:2 magnification at 2.3 feet). Here are a couple of beauty shots with it fitted to the GXR-M via a Rayqual Nikon->M Bayonet adapter:

I took a couple of quickie test shots at distance with it too. The focusing is biased to its primary purpose, macro work, so is very quick in the infinity to 20 foot range, but it moves so precisely it is not hard to focus accurately.

Captured raw, output with no adjustments applied in Lightroom 3.5, ISO 320 @ f/8 @ 1/4 second (on the tripod of course):

Here's a 1:1 detail clip from the above frame:

A very pleasing lens. This is a very long focal length for me, but I am going to enjoy using it for some ideas I've been tossing about lately ... :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
While we're on this topic:
Have some of you experience with the little 200mm f/4.0 AIS, the non-micro version? I've been tempted by that for a while, due to its size mostly.

Godfrey

While we're on this topic:
Have some of you experience with the little 200mm f/4.0 AIS, the non-micro version? I've been tempted by that for a while, due to its size mostly.
No personal experience, I never used one, but a couple of friends who had one seemed pleased with its performance.

m_driscoll

Since you ask, the Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4 IF arrived yesterday. It is in near new condition ... there's not a mark on it! ... and the aperture and focus controls are silky smooth and wonderful. It's a long, slender lens, not overly heavy, with a robust tripod mounting foot. It balances well in the hand, but obviously such a long focal length works best when mounted on a sturdy tripod, particularly at macro focusing distances (close focus 1:2 magnification at 2.3 feet). Here are a couple of beauty shots with it fitted to the GXR-M via a Rayqual Nikon->M Bayonet adapter:

I took a couple of quickie test shots at distance with it too. The focusing is biased to its primary purpose, macro work, so is very quick in the infinity to 20 foot range, but it moves so precisely it is not hard to focus accurately.

Captured raw, output with no adjustments applied in Lightroom 3.5, ISO 320 @ f/8 @ 1/4 second (on the tripod of course):

Here's a 1:1 detail clip from the above frame:

A very pleasing lens. This is a very long focal length for me, but I am going to enjoy using it for some ideas I've been tossing about lately ... :)
Godfrey: Sorry, I should have said "here and the Ricoh GXR thread". That's an awesome piece of equipment. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt

Godfrey

Thanks! It is pretty cool looking ... Industrial and serious.

I might be bonkers but something about an EFL 600mm lens with 1:1 macro @ 2.3 foot working room tickled my sense of the absurd. So I hunted up a Nikon TC-300 matched teleconverter to use with it. 600 mm f/8 ... That's the longest tele bazooka I'll have played with in many years... :)

jonoslack

I shouldn't be looking at this thread . . .
. . . or perhaps I should - cheaper than Leica R lenses that's for sure!

all the best

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Which R Prime for "RDP10"

Hi Jono, how are you doing, nice to see you here on the Nikon board.

I see you are showing some new interest in R lenses, are you by any chance testing some new red dot prototype or is it still a secret ?
You know you can tell us, we can keep quiet :angel: