The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SB 800 Advice Wanted

David K

Workshop Member
Picked up an SB 800 to use with my D3 and am looking for some advice on setting it up so that it generates only the slightest fill... not enough so that you could look at the photo and "know" that flash was used. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. This flash is capable of far more than I plan on using it for which makes reading the manual a bit of a PITA.

Greg Seitz

Hi David,

Set your flash to TTL mode and give -2 2/3 a try. The best way is just to try a few variations and you'll find a setting your happy with pretty quickly.

You can also set up the D3 to use FP sync (I think it's setting e1 in your custom setting menu) which will let you sync all the way to 1/8000 at reduced power but since you are using for fill you should have plenty of power if the subject is not too far away.

Thanks,

Greg

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I said go on A mode on flash than set the ISO higher by a stop or two. The flash is thinking it is shooting at ISO 800 but you are shooting at 200. Just a matter of adjusting the flash.

A mode will be strictly flash it only reads the flash and has nothing to do with the camera.

David K

Workshop Member
Thanks guys... I'll give both suggestions a try and report back. One thing is for sure... this flash is smarter than I am :)

Terry

Thanks guys... I'll give both suggestions a try and report back. One thing is for sure... this flash is smarter than I am :)
Yes and in a few days you will have a flash genius or two in residence to answer all your questions. :clap:

I am about to get an SB800 so this thread is quite helpful. :D

Mozbee

Just a note for you as a new 800 user, when shooting in TTL, be carfeull with the BL mode. It is known that the flash behaves weirdly when using light adjustment (+ or -). It is usually fine to use "simple" TTL without the BL. Try it and make your own conclusions, it might be slightly different!

Using BL and adjustment is kind of confusing for the flash, it's like asking the flash to manage how it should be and telling it how you want it to be at the same time! To avoid the dilemma for the flash, in practice, it might be better to avoid BL when using adjustment.

One thing for sure, the result might be fine, but it won't be consistent! Just be careful!

As well, the best simple advice I received for this flash is:
Use TTL + BL outside, use TTL inside (no BL inside!) and let the flash do its magic!

Just play with it, practice, adjust, reshoot, revise, etc. and you will find your way very quickly I believe!

Good Luck! :D

DavidL

Use the stofen type diffuser that comes with the gun. I have some silver foil at the back of mine to push more light forward or angle the head upwards and use the built in bounce card. I find the SB800 doesn't need dialing down too much, as in - compensation.
As someone said do some tests and see what you like. I'm currently setting up a two gun trial with one gun straight at the subject and the other bouncing off the ceiling. Only works in landscape mode on my current bracket. One master, on off camera cord and one remote and letting them talk to each other. It's amazing but they do. Cameras with built in flashes can be used in command mode which is incredible as you can adjust the output of each gun independently. It's some sort of magic I think.
Take a look here it might help
http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/technology/speedlight/portfolio/index.htm
David

dfarkas

Workshop Member
My favorite trick (for indoor shooting) is to set the camera to M, ISO 400-800, f/2.8, 1/60th. Set the flash to TTL and point it straight up to the ceiling without the diffuser. Make sure the flash head is turned 90 deg so that the length of the flash head is parrallel to your lens. This way, if you turn the camera vertical you can easily angle the head so it is still pointing at the ceiling with one quick movement.

I call this the magic, no flash look.

David