The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D7000 17-50mm lens show down.

N

nevuh

(At events we can not use a flash just a rule so players are not getting light in their face when playing.)
I am in the market for a new lens most of my shooting is low light. I do E-sport events like Street Fighter, MVC3, and etc. I have found the 17-50mm or 55mm to be the best for this. Needs to be able to handle the low light very well and fast at it so i can get the hype moments.

With that said i have got it down to three lenses. The Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM, Tamron 17-50 and the Nikon Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 G ED-IF. Really a bit lost on these i keep going back to the other. What i have found when looking up is on photozone they score about the same other than the nikkor beating on how well it's build is. On DxOMark both set to the D7000 the Sigma takes the lead at a 16 and the Nikon at a low 13.

Seem to be about the same speed at AF so that is great.
The Sigma and Tamron have OS(VC,VR you know..) the Nikon does not, but there is a lot of talk if it is really needed at f2.8.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This lens from Nikon is really a tricky question - it is a fairly old design (from 2003 I guess) and thus does not have VR.

I myself owned Sigma glass for Nikon and Canon and was actually never disappointed.

So for me it would be rather a question of what price I actually had to pay and then would decide if the price is considerably lower for the Sigma, otherwise still for the Nikon.

I personally do not like Tamron .....