The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Checking out the Nikon J1

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Uwe,

these shots are wonderful!

I see it was the 30-110? How do you like it?

How you like the V1 so far?

Peter

R

RRRoger

I downloaded the picture to check the EXIF and it even looks better in ACDsee

R

RRRoger

Now, if Nikon will just release that 18mm f/1.4.
I guess the adapter will be in the stores next week, they already have them in Europe.

R

RRRoger

Biggest problem I see with the Power Zoom 10-110 is the 4.5-5.6 Aperture.
Wouldn't this make the lens useless in low light?

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Wouldn't this make the lens useless in low light?

Yes, but nice for outdoor documentary style.

tjv

Does anyone here have the 10mm pancake? I have tried the V1 in store and with the pancake I was very impressed. I was thinking I'd walk out with an E-P3 but the V1 really threw me. Now I'm thinking about things... Love the screen and viewfinder, the build quality and size. The only thing I don't like is the accessory shoe cover... Why, Nikon?!?!

I shoot almost exclusively on sheet film these days and just want a little camera for documenting everyday things with no fuss – so even manual operation is no issue for me. That's what I liked about the V1. It seemed to have a lot of power under the hood if I want it, but places emphasis on simple and intelligent auto and program mode operation.

R

RRRoger

Does anyone here have the 10mm pancake? I have tried the V1 in store and with the pancake I was very impressed.
Yes!

I thought I only needed the 10-30 and 30-110 but bought the 10mm f/2.8 because it was on sale.
Glad I did, it is very sharp and somewhat better in low light too.

The thing I like most about the V1 is the FullTime AutoFocusing.
It is extremely fast and accurate even in very low light.

However this is not a really "low light" camera.
The High ISO limit is somewhere near 1600 for good pictures equal to around 3200 on a D5100 and 4800 ISO on a D3

Last edited:

tjv

Cool. I've just found out that I've been leant a camera test and take on a two month trip to Japan next month. Will post some photos when I have it in hand, hopefully next week.

I'm really looking forward to using this little combo, the V1 and pancake. I'm not even remotely interested in the zooms. I just want a compact, high quality digital Contax T3 type setup, which this seems to be. I was going to buy an E-P3 and 12mm f2 but although I really liked the combo, I just found the Nikon a better user experience. Hopefully the image quality proves to hold up! The video features are looking really exciting too!

retow

Yes!

I thought I only needed the 10-30 and 30-110 but bought the 10mm f/2.8 because it was on sale.
Glad I did, it is very sharp and much better in low light too.

The thing I like most about the V1 is the FullTime AutoFocusing.
It is extremely fast and accurate even in very low light.

However this is not a really "low light" camera.
The High ISO limit is somewhere near 1600 for good pictures equal to around 3200 on a D5100 and 4800 ISO on a D3
I have the V1 with the same three lenses since about 6 weeks. The 10mm is slightly sharper than the 10-30mm and I like it because it makes camera and lens fit into a jacket/coat pocket. I would, however, not claim that is much better in low light since it's only slightly faster than the small zoom and lacks VR. The VR is quite impressive with the two zooms, clearly bettering e.g. Olympus' in camera IS. The best lens of the three is the 30-110mm considering size, weight and price relative to performance.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>The High ISO limit is somewhere near 1600 for good pictures equal to around 3200 on a D5100 and 4800 ISO on a D3

Isn't that amazing for such a small sensor? A few years ago some small sensor cameras got bad at ISO 200 already.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
>The High ISO limit is somewhere near 1600 for good pictures equal to around 3200 on a D5100 and 4800 ISO on a D3

Isn't that amazing for such a small sensor? A few years ago some small sensor cameras got bad at ISO 200 already.
More than amazing! I really love this!

And it makes me hope we might see much better high ISO performance in APS-C and FF cameras pretty soon, at maybe 20MP in DX and 30plusMP in FX.

Would actually need not more, as I recently found from MP numbers I am already pretty happy with the D7000 and IQ. So given a bit of stretch in DX and FX and I would be really happy!

Plus we could also expect that the 1-system sensor size will even get higher ISO capabilities and MP increase in the near future - combine this with some high speed primes which will also come and this is all we need!

tjv

It really is amazing. I compared shots between the E-P3 and V1 and at ISOs up to 1600 I couldn't tell them apart in print. If Nikon had of made the 10mm an f2.0 lens I would have been over the moon. As it stands, f2.8 is okay. Where I live, you can't buy an E-P3 with anything but the kit zoom and the primes are horrendously expensive. The V1 and J1 on the other hand can be bought with any of the lenses singularly or a combination of them. Combine this with the fact that the V1 has a built in EVF and it's a pretty compelling product. I hope other consumers stop being hung up over the sensor size and give these little cameras a go because I think Nikon have a great product here.

Lonnie Utah

So I finally made it to the camera shop and held/shot (albeit on a limited basis) with "the 1". I've heard so much about the AF, I wanted to see it for myself. I handled both the v1 and the j1. A couple of impressions.

1). Honestly, after all the hype, I was disappointed with the AF. I didn't think it was that much faster than the NEX (my frame of reference). I was doing some goofy things with it seeing how fast it would lock (panning back and forth across the store, putting my palm over the lens, etc.) It could have been that it was "dark" (normal store lighting" and was using CDAF and not the PDAF. Color me unimpressed.

2). It felt "heavy". The specs say that the v1 is about 30 grams heavier (10%) that the 5(n). That 10% made a difference in my hand. That surprised me. I mean it's not a huge difference, but it felt like it. (The first words out of my mouth when I picked it up were "Gosh, it's heavy".)

3). I really missed the tilt-able view finder of the NEX.

4). Both the v1/j1 felt "plasticky" to me. I've heard alot about the build quality, and I guess it's good(?). But I felt that if I owned the camera for any significant amount of time, the body would get scratched all to crap.

5). One of the "worst" things about the camera, and something that I've heard nobody talk about at all, is that the zoom lens is stored in a retracted mode. To take pics, you have to push a button and open it up. Not only does this take time, but it also erases most most the size advantage of those lenses vs Sony's e-mount lenses. This bit really surprised me.

6). Upon observation, the kit lenses takes a 40.5mm filter. To me this is a disadvantage as it seems the most common small size is 49mm. 40.5mm while easy to find on the web, aren't easy to find in local retail stores....

Most of the other stuff has been hashed over in the online reviews. This was stuff that I noticed that I hadn't seen posted anywhere...