The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Checking out the Nikon J1

ccroft

On #5: This is also an alternate way to turn the camera on, so to calculate the time lost you have to subtract the time it would take to hit an on button. In reality, once you've done this a half dozen time it doesn't take any longer than hitting an on switch. We're talking about fractions of a second here. Granted, it is different and you do have to learn the move.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
So I finally made it to the camera shop and held/shot (albeit on a limited basis) with "the 1". I've heard so much about the AF, I wanted to see it for myself. I handled both the v1 and the j1. A couple of impressions.

1). Honestly, after all the hype, I was disappointed with the AF. I didn't think it was that much faster than the NEX (my frame of reference). I was doing some goofy things with it seeing how fast it would lock (panning back and forth across the store, putting my palm over the lens, etc.) It could have been that it was "dark" (normal store lighting" and was using CDAF and not the PDAF. Color me unimpressed.

2). It felt "heavy". The specs say that the v1 is about 30 grams heavier (10%) that the 5(n). That 10% made a difference in my hand. That surprised me. I mean it's not a huge difference, but it felt like it. (The first words out of my mouth when I picked it up were "Gosh, it's heavy".)

3). I really missed the tilt-able view finder of the NEX.

4). Both the v1/j1 felt "plasticky" to me. I've heard alot about the build quality, and I guess it's good(?). But I felt that if I owned the camera for any significant amount of time, the body would get scratched all to crap.

5). One of the "worst" things about the camera, and something that I've heard nobody talk about at all, is that the zoom lens is stored in a retracted mode. To take pics, you have to push a button and open it up. Not only does this take time, but it also erases most most the size advantage of those lenses vs Sony's e-mount lenses. This bit really surprised me.

6). Upon observation, the kit lenses takes a 40.5mm filter. To me this is a disadvantage as it seems the most common small size is 49mm. 40.5mm while easy to find on the web, aren't easy to find in local retail stores....

Most of the other stuff has been hashed over in the online reviews. This was stuff that I noticed that I hadn't seen posted anywhere...
Well,

so if you just want to justify that you do not like the V1 / J1 above the NEX then it is fine!

Also I must say I that your observations are purely subjective - I had the NEX, I had the PEN and I highly prefer the V1 above all. I am not happy with all of what the V1 brings, but NONE of the points you list I can consider as valid - sorry.

So what should your review help here at all?

Lonnie Utah

Also I must say I that your observations are purely subjective - I had the NEX, I had the PEN and I highly prefer the V1 above all. I am not happy with all of what the V1 brings, but NONE of the points you list I can consider as valid - sorry.

First off, I'm gald you are happy with your purchasing decision. Obviously, I don't have to convince you of anything, you've already made up your mind.

Second, I'm entitled to my OPINION just are you are entitled to your OPINION. Just because you don't like my OPINION doesn't make it wrong. It's still valid TO ME, and that's the only person it has to matter to.

Third, did I say anything that was untrue? No. Everything I pointed out were my impressions of the camera based on my own personal point of view from my own mental checklist. So the fact that YOU think they are invalid makes ZERO amount of difference TO ME. However, some people may or may not have similar concerns, wants, needs as desires as I do, and I thought that I would share (they might not be able to see one of these locally). Last time I checked, I still had that right. There are hundreds of reviews out there on all sorts of products. What makes those any more or less valid that what I wrote above. Nothing, they are also OPINION.

Enjoy your camera. Realize there are alternative views. Don't beat people up for having them.

Edit: My only point in referring to the NEX is it was what I was familiar with. It's also a direct competitor so it's a valid comparison.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Everything I pointed out were my impressions of the camera based on my own personal point of view from my own mental checklist. So the fact that YOU think they are invalid makes ZERO amount of difference TO ME. However, some people may or may not have similar concerns, wants, needs as desires as I do, and I thought that I would share (they might not be able to see one of these locally).
Sorry, but exactly this is what is (can) mislead others, so I would be really careful with sharing such personal observations in a publicly accessible forum.

Thanks

Peter

Lonnie Utah

Sorry, but exactly this is what is (can) mislead others, so I would be really careful with sharing such personal observations in a publicly accessible forum.

Thanks

Peter
What? Ever heard of freedom of speech before? Why are my opinions any more/less valid than any of the 1000's of others out there? Last time I checked, most thinking adults can read what's posted in the interwebz and decide for themselves what to do with the information. There is no intention to "mislead", just state the facts from my point of view. Obviously, you have a different point of view.

Terry

There is nothing wrong with supplying a personal opinion. Not everyone is going to agree with each other's opinion and that is why we have a discussion forum.

Almost every post on the forums is based on personal opinion and there is nothing in Lonnie's post that would lead a reader to believe otherwise.

There is nothing wrong with supplying a personal opinion. Not everyone is going to agree with each other's opinion and that is why we have a discussion forum.

Almost every post on the forums is based on personal opinion and there is nothing in Lonnie's post that would lead a reader to believe otherwise.
Big + 1 to that what Terry stated and thanks to Lonnie for sharing his impressions, the more so since he pointed out explicitly and repeatedly that he referred to personal opinions.

ustein

Contributing Editor
By the way I have the NEX-5N with EVF and 18-200mm zoom, sio I know your reference.

>2). It felt "heavy". The specs say that the v1 is about 30 grams heavier (10%) that the 5(n). That 10% made a difference in my hand. That surprised me. I mean it's not a huge difference, but it felt like it. (The first words out of my mouth when I picked it up were "Gosh, it's heavy".)

I love this bit more of weight. makes it more stabil.

>3). I really missed the tilt-able view finder of the NEX.
yes, me too.

>4). Both the v1/j1 felt "plasticky" to me. I've heard alot about the build quality, and I guess it's good(?). But I felt that if I owned the camera for any significant amount of time, the body would get scratched all to crap.

Feels ok to me.

>5). One of the "worst" things about the camera, and something that I've heard nobody talk about at all, is that the zoom lens is stored in a retracted mode. To take pics, you have to push a button and open it up. Not only does this take time, but it also erases most most the size advantage of those lenses vs Sony's e-mount lenses. This bit really surprised me.

Especially with the 30-110mm zoom (use it 98% of the time) it makes it better to store. and if I photograph I have it extended anyway. The wake-up time is slow but so is the NEX-5N.

>6). Upon observation, the kit lenses takes a 40.5mm filter. To me this is a disadvantage as it seems the most common small size is 49mm. 40.5mm while easy to find on the web, aren't easy to find in local retail stores....

Small (compare the 30-110mm to the Sony 18-200mm in size and weight) means small filters and as you said you can get it if you want.

You said you are done, right? Not sure you judge a forum by one member? Your points are all well taken but I may have a different view.

One thing is certain: Using the V1 is a lot of fun and I own more cameras than I would like to have (part of my business).

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Terry,

to be fair, I would like to remind you that while I was sharing personal opinions I got the comment back from you that I should be careful because others could feel offended - this happened back some months ago.

So I do hope that there are no different rules for different participants here - right?

I personally appreciate to be able to share personal opinions and usually do not feel offended. But in the post we refer to here I must say it was even above my level of what I like to accept - too personal and thus not helpful and rather misleading. This was the reason I was answering at all!

jonoslack

Well,

so if you just want to justify that you do not like the V1 / J1 above the NEX then it is fine!

Well Peter - opinions are opinions, and they're all valid around here - yours as well.

I would like to say that I thought Lonnie's comments to be both apposite and relevant . . . and your criticism not to be.

Just my opinion of course . . .

Terry

Peter,
There was nothing misleading in the post and I was doing my best to moderate the forum. I kept my personal views out of it. I'm not playing favorites here at all. If you want to go back in history you will see I've also moderated posts that others on this thread have been on.

Now for my personal opinion since I now have the NEX 5N, V1 and M4/3.....

The V1 does feel heavier than expected

The expanding lenses are a bit of a PITA but I also like being able to make the system more compact. The Olympus collapsible lenses open and close faster.

I do feel like m4/3 is better at single AF.

I like the flash on the V1 because it is small but the swivel and bounce are great.

A number of times I've changed a setting but didn't hit OK (just did half press like on other cameras) only to not have the setting changed.

I wish I could see the ISO the camera is choosing rather than just that I have it set to Auto ISO.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>A number of times I've changed a setting but didn't hit OK (just did half press like on other cameras) only to not have the setting changed.

I had that a few time today :)

R

RRRoger

I agree with Uwe and Peter, and I have tried the NEX cameras too.

I add that I think the AF on the V1 is not only many times faster than I expected but much more accurate as well.

However, everyone experiences new cameras differently.
Perhaps Terry got a "bad copy" like I did with the D300?
I am practically the only one that does not rave about it's greatness.

And, because we are all different in our needs and preconceived needs, isn't it great that there are so many Camera brands and models to choose from?

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter,
There was nothing misleading in the post and I was doing my best to moderate the forum. I kept my personal views out of it. I'm not playing favorites here at all. If you want to go back in history you will see I've also moderated posts that others on this thread have been on.

Now for my personal opinion since I now have the NEX 5N, V1 and M4/3.....

The V1 does feel heavier than expected

The expanding lenses are a bit of a PITA but I also like being able to make the system more compact. The Olympus collapsible lenses open and close faster.

I do feel like m4/3 is better at single AF.

I like the flash on the V1 because it is small but the swivel and bounce are great.

A number of times I've changed a setting but didn't hit OK (just did half press like on other cameras) only to not have the setting changed.

I wish I could see the ISO the camera is choosing rather than just that I have it set to Auto ISO.
Terry, all,

as I said I had the EP2, EP3, GH2, NEX5 and now I work with the V1. I did not just jump into the 1 system because it is new, I was rather sceptical first, but after trying I found that even with it's flaws it is much preferable to the other systems - at least for me.

Build quality I find excellent, it is fast, lenses are small when collapsed, high ISO is fantastic etc etc.

Again, I really like about this forum that yiu can talk openly, but in the case of Lonnies post about the J1 it was all is bad with the Nikon and all is better with the others - and this in a Nikon thread. Thus I found this not appropriate and thus I raised my voice.

And - you are doing a great job as moderator and I understand it is hard to do everybody justice, keep going like you do!

Peter

raist3d

Played with both J1 and V1 some time ago.

Things on both:

- Interface has been designed with average consumer in mind (i.e. more snapshooter than photographer). Best shot mode, movie mode, still mode, no PASM dial.

- Buttons feel of the same cheap plastic as lower end P&S. This includes the dial wheel - which is an interface I hate pretty much on all compacts since it's easy to change a setting by accident or pressing a button turns the dial, etc. I could to some extent understand this on the J1, but not on the V1. The V1's body is of excellent build except for these.

- Very fast AF, at least in decent to moderate low light (not bad).

- PASM modes buried in a menu - ok, given it's aimed at average consumer. What I don't find OK is for example, once it's set to aperture priority you have to tap on the zoom buttons up or down to change it. Why they didn't use something else I will never know, doesn't make sense to me at all.

- sensor is fine and good.

- lenses feel of good build, are sharp, but slow. But that is supposed to change soon.

On J1 specifically:

- didn't like the build much.
- didn't like the pop up flash housed in a plastic stick. Seemed like it would eventually break or something.

Overall seed like a high end point and shoot for average Joe.

Specifically V1:

- Great solid build, except for the buttons in the back and that plastic dial ring.
- a bit heavy
- excellent battery (but contributes to the heavy)
- wish it was smaller, but I can see several people preferring the size it is
- EVF is pretty good
- Flash attachment - the flash is great. It's cute, small, uses battery from the camera (which is fine since the battery has a lot of charge) and you can bounce it in all directions. I wish a flash like this was available on other cameras with these characteristics- even if you still have to put a battery to it.

I would have looked at this system if the V1 was more like "Nex 7" ergonomics wise and a bit smaller. But I really think the market Nikon is aiming with these is not the photographer per se but the average Joe/soccer mom, etc. Maybe a "Nikon Z1" will have good buttons, get rid of that dial wheel, put PASM back and come with a fast prime. That would be really cool.

- Raist

R

RRRoger

There will be a V1s, V2 or whatever.
You can be sure that Nikon is not done with improving System 1 yet.
What they did not count on was the high percentage of sales to DSLR owners.
I've had nearly every Nikon DSLR but found a need for a "Pocket Camera".
I've tried the NEX cameras but the V1 is the first that I've been able to hand hold steady enough to get an unblurred picture.

The fast and accurate FullTime AutoFocus is especially appreciated when taking "Home Movies" and VideoGraphing Church Services.
I use mine at Church, visits to Friends, Trips, and Hikes.
I will be using my AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 with the FT-1 this Sunday.

What I want next is any kind of AF-S 20mm f/1.8 as this is the perfect range for most of my Video needs.