The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the V1

ustein

Contributing Editor
Not our cats , just sone in San Juan Bautista. Used the V1 high Speed modus (about 5-10 fps). The really interesting feature is the buffer for 44 Raw files. This is a crop from a shot with the 30110mm @ 110mm.

Paratom

>well if I want 600mm on a D700 I can count on spending $10,000 on just the lens. I don't do enough wildlife to warrant that and I certainly don't want a lens that size.

Was my point. And you get f2.8
f2.8 on such a crop sensor would be like f5.6? on a dx sized sensor (regarding noise and DOF).
Personally I would rather use the 70-200 with a 2TC on the D700 or if you need 600mm fov on a D300s or d7000.
However in the end its important what works fine for the photographer.
For example Jono likes the 28-90 Leica on the Nex5 - and I find the lens too big on the Nex.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>f2.8 on such a crop sensor would be like f5.6? on a dx sized sensor

My comparison is to the slow V1 lenses.

My motivations may be different than others.
I did two wildlife trips this year with the Panny 100-300. I'm trying to compare what I like better the m4/3 long lens set up vs.

V1+adapter+70-200

This combo gives almost the same range 189-540 but at f2.8. Neither is meant to be handheld but used on a gimbal head.

I do think that the NEX7 or 5n will be my main carry around system.
Terry - you're talking about using the FF Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 on the V1? Does the adapter allow AF and VR?

Terry

Terry - you're talking about using the FF Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 on the V1? Does the adapter allow AF and VR?
Yes to both. But supposedly only center point AF and not tracking AF. I and others will know more soon. The adapters are just now trickling into the US.

Here is more info. While the limitations are a bummer...In the end it is sort of exactly how i shot the GH2 in Kenya.

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/december-2011/nikon-1-firmware-update-110.html

Yes to both. But supposedly only center point AF and not tracking AF. I and others will know more soon. The adapters are just now trickling into the US.

Here is more info. While the limitations are a bummer...In the end it is sort of exactly how i shot the GH2 in Kenya.

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/december-2011/nikon-1-firmware-update-110.html

Hmm - wonder how fast it will AF.

I had no interest in this camera but this may change things if it works well...

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I wonder how the V1 with a Nikon tele compares to the NEX7 with a similar lens (like the Sony 70-200/2.8G) cropped a little bit?

ustein

Contributing Editor
I wonder how the V1 with a Nikon tele compares to the NEX7 with a similar lens (like the Sony 70-200/2.8G) cropped a little bit?
We will have the adapter soon and will find out. There are some potential differences:

1. More people own Nikon lenses than Sony (we do)
2. AF support (to be seen of course)
3. VR support (also to be seen)

Godfrey

Lovely photos, Uwe.

Of course Nikon makes a good camera and excellent lenses. It's your eye that is the important part.

Equipment is transitory, Photography endures.

Terry

As Uwe mentions VR support could make a difference. NEX doesn't have in body stabilization and the Alpha lenses aren't stabilized because the Alpha bodies have the stabilization.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Oh, the Alpha lenses don't AF on the NEX-7? And it doesn't have in-body stabilization? In that case it's a no-brainer and the Nikon wins hands down IMO.

Terry

Alpha lenses will AF. There is no image stabilization with the Alpha Lens plus NEX body combination.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I think finally it all comes down to how fast the AF really is in combination with the adapter. I have no practical experience so far for the V1 with adapter, but I do hope it is reasonably faster than m43 with 43 lenses mounted via an adapter - which REALLY sucks!