The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the V1

ustein

Contributing Editor
Bought the V1 and started using it today. The J1 was loaner and I also used only briefly a V1 of a friend before.

Terry

Well a V1 happened to magically show up at my apartment as well. A few thoughts. Once again it will take me a while to think backwards when attaching/detaching lenses.

First very quick impressions
1)Kit lens seems to focus closer than some of my others (Sony/Panny/Oly)
2)The viewfinder is much "cleaner" in low light. Not sure if it is the fast readout or what but definitely better than m4/3 and NEX. Had all three side by side.
3)Setting it on continuous shooting the shutter is very responsive and fast and hard to take just one shot.
4)30-100 is teeny

Nothing to post...it is dark out.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Congratulations Uwe and Terry on the V1!

This is really a spectacular camera, I love it and I love all the lenses I have so far - 10, 10-30 and 30-110!

I had decided that all my m43 gear had to go for the Nikon 1 System, as I did not want just another system in addition. And I never did regret this decision!

Enjoy

Peter

jonoslack

Hi There
Another one I seem to be missing out on - congratulations guys and girl - I'll be fascinated by your feelings.
It's got the same size sensor as the lovely Olympus E10 (for those who go back so far). I've still got A3 shots from that on my wall.

enjoy!
Have a great Christmas too!

Diane B

Good grief, the E10 LOL. How well I remember. I have favorites from it also, and at least one print on the wall too. Interesting about the sensor size, I didn't realize that or at least have thought about the comparison.

jonoslack

Actually Diane, I think I'm wrong - I think it's the Fuji X10 which is the same size (2/3) and that the V1 is a little larger.
have a FANTASTIC Christmas

Terry

My motivations may be different than others.
I did two wildlife trips this year with the Panny 100-300. I'm trying to compare what I like better the m4/3 long lens set up vs.

V1+adapter+70-200

This combo gives almost the same range 189-540 but at f2.8. Neither is meant to be handheld but used on a gimbal head.

I do think that the NEX7 or 5n will be my main carry around system.

jonoslack

My motivations may be different than others.
I did two wildlife trips this year with the Panny 100-300. I'm trying to compare what I like better the m4/3 long lens set up vs.

V1+adapter+70-200

This combo gives almost the same range 189-540 but at f2.8. Neither is meant to be handheld but used on a gimbal head.

I do think that the NEX7 or 5n will be my main carry around system.
Hmmm, but how about a NEX with adapter and the nice Sony 70-300G? Not long enough?

Terry

Hmmm, but how about a NEX with adapter and the nice Sony 70-300G? Not long enough?
Correct - I did 75% or more of my Kenya shots at 600mm or longer.

So, Nikon gives me two extra stops (I know partially offset by good high ISO on the NEX 5n and cropability of the NEX 7). We shall see how this goes. I was really just looking to take advantage of the crop sensor of the Nikon and then the extra DOF that comes along with it.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Another lens that would be interesting to try out on the V1 is the 70-300 VR. The adapter has a tripod mount, hasn't it?

Paratom

How do you guys get along with the 10-30zoom and the v1 without flash??
I handelded he v1 and j1 today in the store and the v1 feels much bettter in my hands..but I wish the v1 also had an internal flash. (still evaluating if I shoud get a v1 for my wife, but even in the store at f5.6 ISO went up to 3200 and exp time was 1/30-too long for kids. And I dont think she would want to use an external flash.

Terry - large tele-lenses on a minimized camera body sounds to me like a real compromize regarding user interface. I find the d700 allready worse than a D3 when using a 70-200/2.8, so with a v1...I dont know if I wanted to do that.

bcaslis

Inside you need a flash without question. I would not buy the system unless you plan to get the flash also or only shoot outside. I bought the SB-N5 flash for it. It's useful but not nearly as strong as a normal speed light. Inside I need ISO 400 in a normal size room to get enough light.

The real gem of the offering so far is the 30-110 lens. It sharp, has great VR, and tiny. I took some test shots indoors and got a sharp image at 1/15 sec. Outside I need more it seems, but this is easily the best CX lens so far.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Terry - large tele-lenses on a minimized camera body sounds to me like a real compromize regarding user interface.

But buy and carry such a lens with the D700 :)

Terry

well if I want 600mm on a D700 I can count on spending $10,000 on just the lens. I don't do enough wildlife to warrant that and I certainly don't want a lens that size. I was trying to let the (smaller sensor) crop factor work for me. I played around with the G3 and 100-300mm on a gimbal head and it was fine.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>well if I want 600mm on a D700 I can count on spending $10,000 on just the lens. I don't do enough wildlife to warrant that and I certainly don't want a lens that size.

Was my point. And you get f2.8

Terry

Whoops I got totally confused on the quotes.

OK Uwe you and I are on the same page!

Thomas - I don't do a lot of wildlife stuff but I enjoyed it on two trips this year. Yes, V1 with a 70-200 is certainly a compromise. But one I'm willing to play around with given my use case. There are a number of people looking to do similar with this combo. Clearly the cheapest way to get long and fast when you need it. May be a dud but that's why we have a buy/sell forum and ebay :D.

ustein

Contributing Editor

Note: the mode switch on the V1 is bad. Had in changed to video without wanting to and then it only shoots 1080p sized JPEGs. This needs a lock.

Last edited: