The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

True story from today

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Lead roles:
Camera Pusher (CP), to be unnamed
Camera Addict (CA), who has on numerous occasions claimed that he will

A) Not buy any more crop sensor cameras that are as large and/or heavy as a full frame one

B) Not buy any more cameras that use storage media that won't fit into the slot on his newly acquired MBA

C) Buy lighter camera gear, so that he doesn't have to schlep 10-15kg of gear around when he's on assignments

Supporting role:
Big, golden box on a shelf somewhere in Bangkok

Scene
CA enters shop to ask for his D300 that was delivered for repair a couple of weeks earlier. Well into cup of coffee number one, he learns that the camera isn't finished yet. Time is spent with CP, trying out and discussing the V1 and a couple of off-brand (non-Nikon) cameras.

Somewhat into the second cup of coffee, CA notices a big, golden box on a shelf.

CA: Is that a D2X?

CP: It's an Xs, second hand, mint.

CA (out of curiosity, trying to sound uninterested): Is it for sale?

CP: Yes, are you interested?

CA: Nah... for how much?

CP: I'm not sure... 35,000? (That's $1,100). The owner will come back to deliver the charger in a week's time.

CA: That's around the price of a brand new D7000, a camera that would suit my needs much better, don't you think? How much would a deposit be to secure this unnecessary piece of yesteryear's technology?

CP: Would 5,000 be ok?

CA, searching his pocket: That seems to be exactly the amount I...

And then, before he could complete the sentence, the young, beautiful cashier shows up from nowhere, asking if she can be of assistance, and was it so that I needed a receipt for 5,000 Baht?

--

I should see a shrink, right? A camera shrink?

Oh well... since I shoot mostly at ISO 100 and rarely above ISO 400, this makes kind of sense, doesn't it? Particularly for motor sports, which I do around 20 weekends per year. Oh, and I'm in urgent need of another dry-cabinet :rolleyes:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
:ROTFL:
Rings true and I can see myself in a similar situation as I am sure many of the other gear collectors around here can too.
-bob

jonoslack

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
. . . and there was me thinking you were going to own up to buying a V1.

I had a D2x once - I seem to remember it was rather . . erm . . big.

Enjoy!

ps feeling very smug as I haven't bought a new camera for nearly 3 months :p:p:p

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
crisp CCD sensor

Whoa, congrats Jorgen :thumbup:

The D2Xs has a very nice and crisp CCD sensor with a spectacular color rendering. Just ask Tim :)

And if at some point you want to go with a lighter body, it will probably be easy to sell it again without all that much of a loss.
Especially if it has a reasonably low shutter count.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's of course not as bad as it may seem. The ergonomics of that thing is the best, it's actually smaller than a D300 with a grip and since motor sports is mostly shot at low ISO (pan shots) and reach is important, it will probably work great for what I'm going to use it for. The previous owner is an amateur and the shutter count is supposed to be very low, so as Steen points out, I won't lose much, if anything, should I decide to sell it. I also like the colours from that generation of Nikon cameras, which is one of the reasons why I've just spent money having the D80 re-built. At the same time, I must admit that getting that kind of gear for so little money gives me a good feeling. I really look forward to taking it out for a run :)

And as for the V1; lovely camera, but I'll wait and see if they come up with a more advanced model that suits my ergonomic preferences better. So I'll still use m4/3 and 4/3 for travel.

vieri

Lead roles:
Camera Pusher (CP), to be unnamed
Camera Addict (CA), who has on numerous occasions claimed that he will

A) Not buy any more crop sensor cameras that are as large and/or heavy as a full frame one

B) Not buy any more cameras that use storage media that won't fit into the slot on his newly acquired MBA

C) Buy lighter camera gear, so that he doesn't have to schlep 10-15kg of gear around when he's on assignments

Supporting role:
Big, golden box on a shelf somewhere in Bangkok

Scene
CA enters shop to ask for his D300 that was delivered for repair a couple of weeks earlier. Well into cup of coffee number one, he learns that the camera isn't finished yet. Time is spent with CP, trying out and discussing the V1 and a couple of off-brand (non-Nikon) cameras.

Somewhat into the second cup of coffee, CA notices a big, golden box on a shelf.

CA: Is that a D2X?

CP: It's an Xs, second hand, mint.

CA (out of curiosity, trying to sound uninterested): Is it for sale?

CP: Yes, are you interested?

CA: Nah... for how much?

CP: I'm not sure... 35,000? (That's $1,100). The owner will come back to deliver the charger in a week's time.

CA: That's around the price of a brand new D7000, a camera that would suit my needs much better, don't you think? How much would a deposit be to secure this unnecessary piece of yesteryear's technology?

CP: Would 5,000 be ok?

CA, searching his pocket: That seems to be exactly the amount I...

And then, before he could complete the sentence, the young, beautiful cashier shows up from nowhere, asking if she can be of assistance, and was it so that I needed a receipt for 5,000 Baht?

--

I should see a shrink, right? A camera shrink?

Oh well... since I shoot mostly at ISO 100 and rarely above ISO 400, this makes kind of sense, doesn't it? Particularly for motor sports, which I do around 20 weekends per year. Oh, and I'm in urgent need of another dry-cabinet :rolleyes:
Congrats Jorgen, I had a D2Xs for a long time, and it's still the Nikon camera I loved the most (now using a D3), up to ISO 800 and even 1600 for concert/stage/club stuff it was more than ok.

ps feeling very smug as I haven't bought a new camera for nearly 3 months :p:p:p
...my name is XX and I am an addict - I haven't been buying cameras for... hem... does purchase in the FS section here count? :ROTFL::ROTFL:

jonoslack

...my name is XX and I am an addict - I haven't been buying cameras for... hem... does purchase in the FS section here count? :ROTFL::ROTFL:
Of course it does - it counts double actually - maybe even treble!:ROTFL:
I will of course be buying only one new camera next year (NEX7):bugeyes:

bensonga

Congrats Jorgen.....we can all relate! :eek:

I bought a D2X earlier this year and have been amazed at the beautiful images it produces. It's become one of my favorite cameras.....I'm sure you will enjoy the D2Xs.

Gary

PeterA

So funny and so applicable to so many of (us?):ROTFL::loco:
enjoy in good health

I am writing Jono's statement down - regarding only buying ONE camera next year:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Cheers
Pete

vieri

Of course it does - it counts double actually - maybe even treble!:ROTFL:
I will of course be buying only one new camera next year (NEX7):bugeyes:
...yeah yeah, ONE camera... :ROTFL::ROTFL: that's what they all say!!

Merry Christmas to you all! :D