The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Could there be no D4x due to the D800 ??

jvora

Hello :

Just wondering if there would not be a D4x cause Nikon "mostly" has the D800 with 36MP ?

Will the "x" versions be discontinued ?

Any thoughts ?

Jai

ps : Similar question has been posted on another forum.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
maybe slightly off topic

I'd like to start a new rumor that the D3X flagship successor will initiate a new "larger than full frame" series, like another brand once put it :rolleyes:

With a larger sensor, probably 36x48mm or just 30x40mm, and a new mount called NX or maybe MX.

In a form factor like the D3X (or the Leica S2 for that matter).

No mirror slap, no mechanical shutter, no mechanical capture shake.

And a new series of medium format lenses.

Nikon will not gain a lot of income by introducing this high end product, but the brand will gain prestige.

And if Nikon doesn't do it, Canon will at some point, or Sony will.

Don't trust me on this :angel:

Shashin

Some photographers don't believe pixel resolution is the end all and be all spec and that pixel pitch is important. Canon believes that and it seems Nikon does as well, which is why the rumored 36MP sensor is not ending up in the "flagship" model.

V

Vivek

Re: maybe slightly off topic

With a larger sensor, probably 36x48mm or just 30x40mm, and a new mount called NX or maybe MX.
What I don't really understand is the current obsession of pretty much all the camera makers with the letter X.:confused:

Is there any significance attached to this wrt to photography?

Lars

As much as I wish for Steen's rumor to be true, I think the x line is dead for now. It used to stand for a higher resolution image but Sony showed with the price level of the A900 - and Canon with the 5DII - that pixel count alone doesnt merit a flagship price level. It would seem that an 11 fps 16 Mpx sports shooter is pushing the limits of technology more, especially if you factor in professional demands for processing speed, buffer size, reliability etc, which is what Nikon's F and Dn lines have been all about even from the start. Not saying that D3x is just about pixel count, but as good as the D3x is, it's still a very low volume product.

As for pixel count, I welcome the step up to 36 Mpx. This will pressure lens designers even more for corner resolution. As much as I love my Sigma 50, I dread the moment when it has to endure the torture of shooting resolution targets wide open.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
IF the D800 is 36MP then I don't see any reason for an x. What would that be? A D4 yes, especially if it has a choice of producing very clean 16MP files at something like 10 fps. But not a D4x...

The 24MP from my a850 makes 16x24 prints sing. With a 36MP body this quality would be extended to 20x30. Beyond that, I personally don't really care. Even in 20x30, going from 24 to 36MP is a pretty marginal step up (compared to 12 to 24 - that's FAR more obvious).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
IF the D800 is 36MP then I don't see any reason for an x. What would that be? A D4 yes, especially if it has a choice of producing very clean 16MP files at something like 10 fps. But not a D4x...

The 24MP from my a850 makes 16x24 prints sing. With a 36MP body this quality would be extended to 20x30. Beyond that, I personally don't really care. Even in 20x30, going from 24 to 36MP is a pretty marginal step up (compared to 12 to 24 - that's FAR more obvious).
They'll probably make some kind of flagship camera, even if 99% of the customers go for the cheaper model. It's a question of showing technological ability and innovation, but also about offering something to those who need or want the ultimate machinery, regardless of weight, size and price. I'm currently buying a D2Xs, which in most ways inferior to my D300, because it offers handling and abilities in some areas that the D300 doesn't.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
off topic

What I don't really understand is the current obsession of pretty much all the camera makers with the letter X.:confused:

Is there any significance attached to this wrt to photography?

In Nikon's case I suspect that the "X" may be a graphic illustration of the diagonals for the frame / format which then can be either "DX" for Digital Only or "FX" for the Full 35mm, and recently "CX" probably for Compact system - it's pure guessing, I have no idea.
Still, that was why I imagined a possible Nikon Medium format might get the designation "MX" for Medium, or "NX" for the next-new-nonsense-name ... or whatever :p
We may never know.

As for the D3X model designation my guess would be something like "extra" or "extended", but who really knows or cares, the important thing is: how much is it :toocool:

And besides, why Fuji, Sigma, Leica and others have also recently used this X letter designation, I have no idea.
Maybe it's just a trendy letter these years, and next year it will be something else, who knows ?

Hm, Merry Zmas doesn't look good :rolleyes:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The "X" has always been popular in consumer marketing, not least with cars. It stands for "eXtra" but is also a symbol for the unknown. Ford used it extensively in Europe during the sixties and seventies (XL, GXL etc.) and Citroën at some point named their models AX, BX and CX.

Panasonic is also using the X now (GX and the new X-series lenses).

danielmoore

I don't know, Dx0 mark sensor ratings put the NEX-7 with it's sub-atomic photosites in the upper ranks. I'll venture the D4x will have 56 megapixels, being an FX version the same technology. I would expect them to pull another DxO point out of it across the board, and maybe even whip up some noise magic sauce to distance itself further. Using one diffraction limit calculator of many, it appears 56 megapixels in a 36x24 sensor would start to degrade after stopping down past f/6.4ish and that would likely be our dirty little secret/cross to bear. That'll buy them another cycle to get the medium format thing going.

Last edited:

Dustbak

I think there might very well be a D4x, there are people that probably want both the larger resolution as well as the larger body, better sealing, better vertical shooting, more robust body, etc...

Even with the D700 there were still people buying a D3...

Rethmeier

I think there will be a D4x.
It's not expensive for Nikon to change sensors in the D4 body.
That's really what they did with the D3.

Shooters like me prefer a more solid body like the D4 instead of the D800 which is really a pro-sumer camera.

sflxn

What would the point of a D4x be now that the D800 has 36MP and no AA filter? Same software and electronics as the D4 too. I think Canon and Nikon learned that the x and ds lines just don't make any sense anymore. They've been wanting to combine both the sports and landscape cameras for a long time. The market told them it was time to do so in the last generation. They would get no benefit from losing money, introducing another very low volume product.

sflxn

I think there might very well be a D4x, there are people that probably want both the larger resolution as well as the larger body, better sealing, better vertical shooting, more robust body, etc...

Even with the D700 there were still people buying a D3...
There might be a market for a D4x, but the question that both Nikon and Canon must answer is - Does the potential volume justify creating and supporting a marginal product? I could be wrong, but I think the answer is NO.

I was one of the ones who "upgraded" from the D700 to the D3. Well, I realized that was a mistake. While the portrait grip was nice, I had to carry that extra weight around even when I wanted to use it in landscape mode. At least for me, the answer is a camera with no grip. Nikon reducing the weight and size of the D800 shows Nikon is aware of the market demand for better handling.

Rethmeier

There is a market! Lot's of people bought a D3x!
Did Nikon make money with the D3x,of course they did.

Like I said before,it doesn't cost that much to replace the sensor in the D4 and call it a D4x.
I would buy one on the spot.

Lars

You'd need 2.5x the processing speed and 2.5x the buffer if you want to keep the frame rate with 36 Mpx. And if you don't care about frame rate then perhaps the D800 is the right camera?

Shashin

Like I said before,it doesn't cost that much to replace the sensor in the D4 and call it a D4x.
How many people bought the D3x?

How much money did Nikon make?

Has the market changed?

How much would it cost to change the sensor and rebadge the body and packaging?

Rethmeier

How many people bought the D3x?

How much money did Nikon make?

Has the market changed?

How much would it cost to change the sensor and rebadge the body and packaging?
I quess,we will have to wait and see.

I also expect the D4x to have a on/off AA filter.

Now we are talking!:thumbs:

sflxn

A lot of people also bought 1Ds MIII. Then when the 5DII came out, the sales of the 1Ds plummeted. I think both companies know there is massive cannibalization. I could be wrong, but I still think there will never be another x model again unless there is a 50mp FF sensor next year to match the NEX-7 sensor's pixel density. Anyway, I'm not against an x model, I just think Nikon has learned from the Canon 5DII experience.