The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss ZF Question

T

tetsrfun

This may have been answered but I am curious why there is the "forked" interconnect on the ZF lenses. It reminds me of my Nikormat and F-Photonic days. Is there any use for this now?

Steve

Jeff Turner

Steve:

Here is Zeiss' explanation regarding backward compatibility with pre-Ai coupling:

ZF: SLR lenses with F bayonet mount
ZF Lens

ZF lenses are equipped with the AI aperture coupling as well as the pre AI coupling. They do not include CPU coupling. Due to this, exposure metering and control is possible with all corresponding camera models. Used with camera models without AI or fork coupling the aperture is closed to the pre-selected value, but metering and automatic aperture control is not possible.

Nikon
F, F2, EL, FE, FM, Nikkormat-Series, F3, FM3A
F50, F55, F65, F75, F80, F401, D40, D40x, D50, D60, D70, D70s, D80, D100
FG, FA, F301, F501, F4, F5
F70, F90/F90x, F100, F601, F801, D1, D1X or D1H
F6, D300, D3, D200, D700 or D2-Series

The cameras you mention are on their list of compatible cameras because of the little "fork."

Cheers

T

tetsrfun

Thanks for the answer. I just thought is was curious that Zeiss was providing backward compatibility when Nikon isn't. I am not sure when the last Nikon was made that used the "fork" but, IIRC, the last "Photomic meter was 1974. Seeing that "fork" on a new >$1k lens put a smile on my face.

Steve

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
In theory, Nikon may still make lenses with the fork, although I doubt it. I believe at least the 50mm f/1.2 AIS is available from Nikon in a number of countries, and hasn't officially been discontinued. It's possibly just old stock, but Nikon was rumoured to make batches of some of the most popular AIS lenses now and then, at least up until a couple of years ago, when the FM3A was still being manufactured.

T

tetsrfun

One last question and then I will stop beating this horse. What was the last Nikon camera that actually used the "fork" to interconnect with the metering system? Of all the pictures of Nikon systems after the Photomic meter, I can not see any connection to the camera system.

Steve

Jeff Turner

There were versions of the F2 Photomic the "A" and "AS" both released in 1977 that were auto-indexing (AI) and no longer required the fork. The Nikomat (Nikkormat) FT3 was the first auto-indexing Nikkormat released in the same year.

T

tetsrfun

Well one more question. So the F Photomic and the Nikkormat up to until 1976 were the last Nikons that "used" the fork"? I still have a couple of lenses from the "Photomic and "old" Nikkormat days.

Steve

Jeff Turner

Actually the F2 Photomic SB and Nikkormat FT2 were the last ones to use the fork for indexing, released in 1976 and 1975 respectively.

T

tetsrfun

Thanks for the info...I guess CZ is serious about backward compatibility.

Steve

fotografz

My new F6 and Zeiss ZF lenses are a dream team ... I was glad to see that the F6 allows programing in the Non-CPU lenses. Wish Zeiss would make a 135/2 in ZF mount.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
There are still some AiS lenses (with the fork) listed on the Nikon Global Site:
http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/mf/index.htm
...and available for purchase, at least a few, at B & H in NYC.
The highly reputable eBay seller, matsuiyastore, appears to have an endless supply of new and used AI-S lenses. As I'm writing this post they have on sale:

* 45mm f/2.8P
* 180mm f/2.8
* 50mm f/1.2 (new)
* 20mm f/2.8 (new)
* 28mm f/2.8 (new)
* 15mm f/3.5
* 35mm f1.4 (new)
* 28mm f/2.0
* 105mm f/2.8 Micro (new)
* 55mm f/2.8 Micro (new)
* 24mm f/2.8 (new)
* 50mm f/1.4 (new)