The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New 21mm Distagon ZF lens

V

Vivek

Waste of cash, IMO.

What would this overpriced lens do that the 14-24 f/2.8 Nikon zoom cannot?

jonboring

Tests have shown the old CY version of this lens marginally out-resolves the Nikon zoom at 21mm. We don't know if the new Z series will equal the CY version but if it does, for someone who is after every bit of IQ might want that. Also, the Nikon zoom is much heavier and doesn't allow for filters. So, for someone where weight is a concern who also wants to use filters, they might prefer the 21.

woodyspedden

I am very curious to find out if the new distagon has the same "moustache" distortion as the old one had. This type of distortion is very difficult (but not impossible) to correct and in some images looks really awful. Many folks, including me, had somewhat of a love hate relationship with this lens.......loving the sharpness and hating the distortion. I finally sold mine and have frankly not missed it. But i am open to evaluating the new version.

I do love the Nikon 14-24 and ended up buying a new copy after selling the first one to Vivek and regretting it. i also bought the Zeiss 18-3.5 and for the most part love it. It is much smaller than the 14-24, takes filters and is very sharp. However it has much more CA and tends to flare way more than the 14-24. So you have to go with what works for your particular needs.

When someone gets the new 21mm, please post your finding. This lens could be a real winner

Woody

V

Vivek

Folks, I just threw that in with the hope someone would post some samples shots!

I am all for choices when it comes to quality glass. :)

V

Vivek

Jorgen, This lens will only cover a 24x36 format!

I have a Xero-Nikkor 135/2 that will cover any format of a photocopy machine.:ROTFL:

fotografz

A lot smaller is a big deal IMO.

As in ... you'll actually take with :thumbup:, instead of not.

I see these Zeiss alternatives as D700 travel/street lenses, a whole system in a small shoulder case. 18mm (or this 21), 28/2, 50/2 Macro, 100/2 Macro.

That said, I wish they'd bring out a ZF 135/2 T*, which wouldn't be all that small I imagine :ROTFL:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
A lot smaller is a big deal IMO.

As in ... you'll actually take with :thumbup:, instead of not.

I see these Zeiss alternatives as D700 travel/street lenses, a whole system in a small shoulder case. 18mm (or this 21), 28/2, 50/2 Macro, 100/2 Macro.

That said, I wish they'd bring out a ZF 135/2 T*, which wouldn't be all that small I imagine :ROTFL:
That sums up my rationale for using the ZF lenses. I have two outfits, one for travel and the other heavy weight D3 & AF zoom outfit.

I travel with a D700, 18/3.5, 25/2.8, 35/2, 50/2 and a Nikon 70-300 VR. This all fits nicely into a Think Tank Urban Disguise 60. Personally I prefer MF lenses but aside that, this outfit works better for me than D700/14-24/24-70/70-300 outfit. The other advantage is that a D700 with a prime is a lot smaller and less of a distraction to people than the huge zooms.

Definitely interested to see some results from the 21. Digilloyd will add it to his (paid) ZF review as soon as he gets one too.