The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800

danielmoore

Quiet would be nice for a change. The D800 does have a Q setting for 'quiet' mode as well as different mechanisms driving the shutter, mirror and aperture, unlike the D700, so maybe.. Shouldn't be too long before someone posts a comparison on youtube. It'd be great if decibels were among the specs! : P

Regardless, it's got a long list of improvements I"m drooling over.

Galbraith has some samples posted from both models.

pophoto

"With the D800E, moiré and false color may be noticeable when there are repetitive and fine patterns on a subject such as kimono fabric. To avoid this, it is necessary to take measures, for example, changing the focusing point or shooting distance."
[Text taken form the Nikon D800/D800E website]

How do you guys feel about this? I know those who shoot medium format will probably have more experience about this, but since this is a Nikon product, I felt safer to post my related question here.

What is the advise for the landscape shooter who also shoots fashion with fabric and architecture? How to you shoot to avoid moiré and false colors?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Nikon is correct you would to avoid moire is change the focusing point slightly but hard to tell your getting moire many times until you get to post. Than it's a correction with software. Given the sensor pitch of this sensor it should be less of a issue than the warning. Nikon has to spell it out clearly that it can happen. There warning is smart on there end as it will stop the.4 million complaints about moire that can happen.

jonoslack

Nikon is correct you would to avoid moire is change the focusing point slightly but hard to tell your getting moire many times until you get to post. Than it's a correction with software. Given the sensor pitch of this sensor it should be less of a issue than the warning. Nikon has to spell it out clearly that it can happen. There warning is smart on there end as it will stop the.4 million complaints about moire that can happen.
HI Guy
I quite agree - this is likely to be much less of an issue than the warning (which is likely just to cover their backsides). Two years with an M9 and no significant moire is testimony to that, and the smaller pixel pitch means that it should be even less of a problem with the D800.

. . . . I reckon most of those Nikon lenses will act as an AA filter anyway :ROTFL:

Seriously, it sounds like a fantastic camera - tempting (Oh Yes), but everything is changing so fast right now.

I think it's a very smart move to offer it in two flavours as well (although why you have to pay more for less is an interesting point - AA filters are not cheap things as far as I'm aware).

all the best

V

Vivek

I think it's a very smart move to offer it in two flavours as well (although why you have to pay more for less is an interesting point - AA filters are not cheap things as far as I'm aware).
Beats me as well. :confused:

BTW, Nikon glass is not cheap (if that is what you meant by AA filters). :ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Brilliant move to offer in 2 flavors. Finally after years of hearing we want no AA filter someone jumped to the plate and offered it. Good for Nikon. I'm getting one but I'm not selling my back and tech cam. This is something I could really use in 35mm cam and to me this is a game changer. About freaking time we see something in 35mm that really counts in the IQ

V

Vivek

Yea pretty funny you pay more for ripping out a part of the camera. Lol
The Achromatic+ folks spin/claim that back without Bayer dyes and without an UV/IR cut filter is a 3 in 1 back. That also appears to cost "a bit" more. :rolleyes:

Guy Mancuso

Actually I was thinking one of each. I mean I would want a backup anyway. This is going to be fun to watch how this all works out.

I suspect we may see a lot of Canon in the B&S area.:D

When I get home from this workshop I am going to look into this more for sure. Keep the data coming folks. Checking out we have a sunrise to go shoot. :salute:

jonoslack

I Think it looks fantastic - but I'm trying to be grownup - I have always had a personal problem with Nikon colour for nature (I understand that this is my problem). Added to which, everything is changing so very fast at the moment, talk of organic sensors next year etc. etc. Changing systems from Sony seems to be a big step to take . . . So I'll wait (I think!).

Paratom

I have to say for what I shoot I havent run into any problems with the M9 and S2 regarding moiree.
I wonder if there is any reason to expect more of a moiree problem in the D800 compared to MF backs.
There must be a reason that they offer both versions?
Right now I feel I should wait and see how the D800 and the D4 work in real until I would consider to replace my D700.
Also if one uses one of those additional to MF gear (for sports/action/low light) a faster high ISO "machine" might make more sense than a high MP low ISO DSLR.
If one thinks it could replace MF than on the other hand the D800 might be the more flexible solution, doing high MP and acceptable (maybe not great) higher ISO.
I am also quite interested how those compare color and DR wise (D800 vs D4 vs MF vs older Nikons)

Ben Rubinstein

Canon better get their act together, the 5Dx will not have full pro AF, weather sealing, dual cards, 100% viewfinder, etc. It will be a 7D with a 36 or so megapixel FF sensor and because of that the price better be in line given how cheap the D800 is for what it is.

I downloaded the jpgs from their site including the samples from the D800E, still think the Leaf Aptus II 28/33/40 megapixel RAW files I've been playing with have more detail/sharpness although they were taken using Schneider lenses, not sure if that's a fair comparison to Nikon zooms and cheap primes. Of course they ain't in one of the most advanced DSLR bodies ever made, neither can they honestly be a full jack of all trades like this camera. Not going to change my order for the Aptus II -8 for still life studio but if it was anything where I had to hold the camera to shoot or use in multiple locations, I'd be thinking very very hard about it. I wonder if this will do anything to the MF prices, especially the 40 megapixel packages, in the near future.

V

Vivek

If the D800E is treated the same way as a MFDB (ie., tripod mount) and with proper lenses, it will no doubt be very good.

I have an APO El-Nikkor 105/5.6 (IIRC, Stuart Richardson had one but sold it) that would do well on it along with a few other lenses.

fotografz

. I wonder if this will do anything to the MF prices, especially the 40 megapixel packages, in the near future.
Not unless they make the 12 bit D-800 into a 16 bit camera and increase the film-gate by 2X ... the 16 bit, 40 meg MFDs will still produce tonal gradations, dynamic range and resolution-to-size ratio that 35mm DSLRs can't get to.

-Marc

fotografz

I Think it looks fantastic - but I'm trying to be grownup - I have always had a personal problem with Nikon colour for nature (I understand that this is my problem). Added to which, everything is changing so very fast at the moment, talk of organic sensors next year etc. etc. Changing systems from Sony seems to be a big step to take . . . So I'll wait (I think!).
Hmm, I'd bet that Sony will deliver what we want in a FF sensor Alpha Jono ... then we get to keep using those delicious Zeiss optics rather than do a systems swap ... again.

Patience my friend, patience. :)

-Marc

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Am I missing something here ? The D800 has essentially 2+x the Mp than the D7000 but at the pixel level aren t the sensors the same ? So when I look at a file at 100% don t I know what to expect at the pixel level.

Then I know that for a given print/screen size I need less magnification of the pixels . This results in a much smoother rendering like a D3x file .

At the pixel level the D7000 files provide more detail and generally nicer rendering than the D3s or the D3X ......but of course we use the entire file . Doesn t seem to be too hard to forecast the D800E ability to render fine detail ....it should be better than the D3x at less than half the cost . No AA filter and it should be spectacular .

But the color is a different issue and this seems to be determined by the in camera processor , the glass and the raw conversion (sony is making the sensors right?) Glass still matters and I can easily see the differences in color between even the newest Nikkors and my Zeiss or Leica glass on the same body. The new Nikkors have cleaner whites and bluer blues and have lost some of the yellow tint of the older designs . They don t have the macro contrast of the zeiss or the micro contrast of the leica R but they are nice and pair pretty well with the Zeiss. (unlike the older designs).

If color rendering is the same as the D7000 ..you will get much improved landscapes but skin tones will be just OK . I expect they will be better as some of the beta testers were fashion photographers and this should be nikon s offering for fashion. (unless a D4X is coming which I doubt).

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Am I missing something here ? The D800 has essentially 2+x the Mp than the D7000 but at the pixel level aren t the sensors the same ? So when I look at a file at 100% don t I know what to expect at the pixel level.

Then I know that for a given print/screen size I need less magnification of the pixels . This results in a much smoother rendering like a D3x file .

At the pixel level the D7000 files provide more detail and generally nicer rendering than the D3s or the D3X ......but of course we use the entire file . Doesn t seem to be too hard to forecast the D800E ability to render fine detail ....it should be better than the D3x at less than half the cost . No AA filter and it should be spectacular .

But the color is a different issue and this seems to be determined by the in camera processor , the glass and the raw conversion (sony is making the sensors right?) Glass still matters and I can easily see the differences in color between even the newest Nikkors and my Zeiss or Leica glass on the same body. The new Nikkors have cleaner whites and bluer blues and have lost some of the yellow tint of the older designs . They don t have the macro contrast of the zeiss or the micro contrast of the leica R but they are nice and pair pretty well with the Zeiss. (unlike the older designs).

If color rendering is the same as the D7000 ..you will get much improved landscapes but skin tones will be just OK . I expect they will be better as some of the beta testers were fashion photographers and this should be nikon s offering for fashion. (unless a D4X is coming which I doubt).
Given the fact that I used the E5 which has a very weak AA filter and also given the fact that all MFDs use NO AA filter (as does the M8/M9) and all offer much more detail than cameras with AA filter, the answers seems to be straight forward IMHO:

No AA filter, much sharper images with much more details.