The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800

Lars

Thanks, Lars !

- - - - -

Here's a link to some full sized high ISO samples

Nikon D800 High ISO Image Samples

NB: The images are JPEGs, straight out of the camera.
I looked at those samples over the weekend - but now I realize that what I thought was an ISO 3200 image was actually ISO 25600. Most impressive - at the pixel level I think it matches D700 which means binned down to 12Mpx it will be even better. Would you agree?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Not only high ISI is looking pretty impressive, also the resolution at lower ISO.

Cannot wait to get my hands on my D800E :D

jlancasterd

yes, you are probably right, Lars, but it bothers me a little to use too much money on the three and a half year old D700
if at least they would put the D3S sensor into a D700S model it would feel more like sort of a new and up to date camera :)
but if as you say there will actually be a significant price drop on the D700 then it might be a sensible FF choice while waiting
do you remember where you have seen this hint ?
I'm not sure there will be a significant price drop on the D700 - or that there will be the flood of D700's onto the secondhand market that some are expecting. I suspect that a lot of amateur/semi-professionals like me will hang on to their D700 as a low light, high ISO, camera and buy a D800E for landscape and other high quality, good lighting, work. Others may buy a D700 along with a D800E for the same reason. I just wish they both used the same battery and charger…

Lars

I just looked at second hand prices on ebay, D700 doesnt seem to be dropping sharp.

D3x is another story though, my guess is that even though supply is limited, demand is almost nonexistent until D800 gets a chance to prove itself.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
D800E

Not only high ISI is looking pretty impressive, also the resolution at lower ISO.

Cannot wait to get my hands on my D800E

I had the opportunity to handle the D800 + D800E as well as the D4 two days ago at a Nikon demo event in a store.
I'm looking forward to upgrade from my D300 for the larger end brighter optical viewfinder alone.
But in general I can assure you that each of them looks delicious and feels good in the hands, brilliant high-end design, despite my secret wish for a 'DM3A' some day :)
Unfortunately we were not allowed to shoot with our own memory cards, rather disappointing though probably to be expected.
I see no reason to doubt that the E version with the cancelled Anti-Aliasing filtration will be a fabulous candidate for your landscape shooting, Peter :thumbup:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Thanks, Vivek, it looks really nice indeed !

But 16 Mp on Four-Thirds format, 3.8 µm per pixel isn't quite what I want, you know I'm such a chicken with regards to pixel pitch :eek:

So I'm fully decided that my next camera will have a larger sensor than the APS-C I'm shooting now, otherwise I'll just stay where I am.

My D300 actually works so well for me, it's only my viewfinder obsession that makes me want to upgrade :rolleyes:

jlancasterd

Interestingly the 24-120 f4 is included - is it that good?
I've had one as my 'standard' lens on a D700 for the past 18 months and wouldn't want to be without it. It's a perfect travel lens - although I have both the 16-35 and 70-200, I left them at home when travelling around Switzerland last September, and in northern Norway a couple of weeks ago and found that the 24-120 did everything I wanted. I get good, sharp, high contrast images in most conditions. The results are very good even wide open at f4 and ISO 25,600.

I do, however, use the lens profile correction tab in Lightroom when I process images.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
24-120mm f/4 G VR

Interestingly the 24-120 f4 is included - is it that good?

I have no personal experience with the 24-120mm VR zoom.

But don't mix it up with the older VR version (year 2003 - 2010) - or the even older AF-D version (year 1996 - 2002) for that matter.

The older variable max aperture AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF VR was indeed considered a dog by a lot of users.

In summer 2010 it was replaced by the AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 G ED VR (fixed max aperture).

The new VR version is said to be much sharper than its predecessor, but both are said to show a lot of distortion.

I have never owned or even tried any of them (I rarely use zooms), only referring the internet gossip here.

pophoto

Hey Boys and Girls!
I've just revisited the D800 and D800E Samples page of the n'th time.
I still cannot make out the difference the 'E' will provide me as far as extra details is concerned. Can someone please explain to me what they can SEE and what I'm NOT seeing.

Main shots in question the ones with the models in, I also tried hard to study the ones with green mossy trees. The one shot that confuses me the most is the one with the autumn leaves from the D800E which isn't visibly sharp at all!
The Japanese Kimono model shot which is supposed to show the handling or resolve of Moire in question, does a great job, unfortunately the face and hair is difficult to judge because of make-up and dark hair lost in darks with subtle highlights, when compared to the sharpness seen in the D800 model samples with the 'model and cat' and 'model with wedding veil.'

Prerequisite:
"Pixel peeping a must!" :p

Nikon | Imaging Products | Sample Images - Nikon D800/D800E

Thanks
Po

Remko

Hey Boys and Girls!
I've just revisited the D800 and D800E Samples page of the n'th time.
I still cannot make out the difference the 'E' will provide me as far as extra details is concerned. Can someone please explain to me what they can SEE and what I'm NOT seeing.

Main shots in question the ones with the models in, I also tried hard to study the ones with green mossy trees. The one shot that confuses me the most is the one with the autumn leaves from the D800E which isn't visibly sharp at all!
The Japanese Kimono model shot which is supposed to show the handling or resolve of Moire in question, does a great job, unfortunately the face and hair is difficult to judge because of make-up and dark hair lost in darks with subtle highlights, when compared to the sharpness seen in the D800 model samples with the 'model and cat' and 'model with wedding veil.'

Prerequisite:
"Pixel peeping a must!" :p

Thanks
Po
Hi Po,

I have been to a Nikon NPS event here in the Netherlands where the D4 and both the D800s were introduced. A couple of photos were shown with regard to the differences between the D800 and the D800E. Mind you, these photos were not printed ones, but shown via a projector.

What I noticed is:
* more depth (call it a more three dimentional look of the photo). This is quite noticeable and IMO very attractive;
* a bit more clarity;
* a bit more detail at 100%.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Remko

Shashin

I am seeing two different images taken under very different condition of very different subjects. This means that no one is really going to notice which model took which image. The only comparison to show the difference would be two images of the same scene taken at the same time. but even then I don't know if I would be worrying about whether the camera had an AA filter or not as far as which model I would buy goes.

Stefan Steib

I think there should be no question for MF users who are used to Non AA MF Backs (and probably the same moiree issues) what to buy if you are planning to get an D800 - the E version will most likely behave the same way as my converted 5DMK2 - more Highlight detail and more shadow structure. Besides a net maybe 20 % gain in sharpness. I paid 500 € for this extra and it was worth every cent I paid.
So I guess the 300 $ more for th D800E are a bargain .
Use capture One, do a local mask if neccessary and remove most of the minor stuff in post, if it´s larger you will see it on the camera display when you control it. Once you know about you will just take a look at 100 % and if this is major just change the distance a bit or the angle or the focus plane or stop down a bit, there are many choices.

Regards
Stefan